What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had my first plants in the ground in 79 Hammer and all i and my friends grew were sativas and i smoked lots of different imports threw the years until they ended and i didn't see the hermaphrodites you clearly did.

I grew a few different Thai lines non hermd on me non of my flowers were seeded unless i allowed a male to pollinate to make fresh seed that was my experience.

The bulk of what i loved to grow and smoke were Thais.

Im sure Sam and the Haze brothers had many as well.. This was extremely common in cannabis in the 70s through the late 80s when we all grew the seeds from imports. You must be one lucky SOB to never get herms.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
In my experience if you were going to see a hermaphrodite in a sativa line you saw it at sex next to true males and true females but i never saw a lot my self.

From one of the grow threads i did from seed to harvest a true Thai fem from start to end.

1683299973911.png

1683300000656.png

1683300027335.png

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is steves Thai visit in 2023. He saw a lot of herms..This isn't something new lol. Im not sure if he lives there. Maybe @Gypsy Nirvana knows?., Steve has been running the Million seed search project.

The sidewalks of the beautiful Kingdom of Thailand are resplendent with their native grass. A lot of herms, but glorious nonetheless. I even had a cannabis oil massage, and it turned out to be highly therapeutic.
#DecorativeCannabis is peak normalization. Any business with plants out front is definitely more likely to get my support.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pollinating with a male is not the same as an intersex plant.. Not sure why you are referring to males when talking about herms. They're not the same. Intersex in cannabis has alwys been there. Far more of it back in the 70s.

harvestreaper

Veteran
its clear the thai lines hold non hermie and hermie lines its up to individuals as to what they prefer i bred off non hermie thai females to two males who both hermied slightly ,i wanted to make f2s to get more and that all there was to it ,,if i have a choice id prefer non hermie lines

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its clear the thai lines hold non hermie and hermie lines its up to individuals as to what they prefer i bred off non hermie thai females to two males who both hermied slightly ,i wanted to make f2s to get more and that all there was to it ,,if i have a choice id prefer non hermie lines

I brought this up to help further any discussions of why we don't have the same Super high quality cannabis as we use to. I can only read so much about it. Something was bred out of cannabis, One of those traits that was bred away from was Hermaphroditic plants. The other is Chemotypes. There aren't many traits to pick from that people bred away from. The big one is chemotype. Its wasn't about using one over the other. We def use plants that don't have intersex issues in all of the plants we breed with as best we can..

bigherb

Veteran
The Original Hazes never did have much hermis, maybe the Haze with Thai bloodlines had a few. We just never used hermis for breeding period.
They also traditionally gave 60-70 % the the plants female, the sex ratio was not 50/50.
All my best Original Hazes orver the years were late maturing not early.
BTW Original Haze is not Dutch genetics, it was developed in California, moved to Netherlands.

-SamS

Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

1luvbigherb

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The most modern Thai line i ever grew was collected from with in Thailand in 1986 all the other Thai lines date back to the 70s at lest and no Hermaphrodites or seeded flower unless you let a male do his thing.
Didn't you say in another thread that out of the original Thai stick seeds you grew that 1 of the 3 was hermie? You then bred with the male and female? Or am I mistaken?

I recently grew a few landrace including Thai. Out of the Thai I grew the 2 Choc Thais, 1 was straight out hermie, the other started as a male and about a month later threw out female flowers. The Mango Thai did not hermie. Of 3 Manipui I had 1 hermie, 1 male, and one female. That's only a tiny sample but I remember in the 70s and 80 hermies were definitely around and seemed mainly in the sativas (no indicas here really back then).

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Original Hazes never did have much hermis, maybe the Haze with Thai bloodlines had a few. We just never used hermis for breeding period.
They also traditionally gave 60-70 % the the plants female, the sex ratio was not 50/50.
All my best Original Hazes orver the years were late maturing not early.
BTW Original Haze is not Dutch genetics, it was developed in California, moved to Netherlands.

-SamS

Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

1luvbigherb

I've read that..I would agree the sticks didn't have many seeds. I did find some. That kind of quality is just not seen anymore, why?... I lived in Cali during that same time. We saw a lot of imported weed from many countries loaded with seeds, Thai included. Im not sure if Sam was being honest about herms found while stabalizing. All I talk to(excluding Hempy) also saw lots of intersexed plants back in the 70s.

Is this untrue?.
So for the development of Haze, the brothers put together three 100 % sativa genetics: a Landrace, a pure Mexican sativa and a Colombian landrace. One year later, the best selected female plants from the previous bunch were crossed with a landrace male from Thailand, and the germ of what we know today as Original Haze was created.

As Sam himself acknowledged some years later, the strain created by the Haze Brothers was rather difficult to tame. Given its poor stability, the easiest things turned into incredibly challenging tasks. One of the first phenos to appear was Purple Haze, an amazing strain that also obtained global recognition and still today is remembered as a legend. However, Sam was determined to stabilize it and he most certainly did it. For doing so, he collaborated with Robert Clarke from Sacred Seeds.

No sooner did they get to work than they noticed that the more they tried to improve the quality of Haze, the less vigorous it became and thus the poorer the quality ended up being. But, after a while, they finally realized that the best plants were the ones derived from the cross of a Haze and another strain they'd previously worked with, being Haze the one that added the extra touch of quality to the cross. It wasn't until 1976, though, that Sam and Robert decided to start selling the seeds of what we now call Original Haze: a 100 % sativa hybrid very much appreciated by cannabis growers and users alike. No wonder most of them ended up worshipping this strain. The incredible scent of spices accented by subtle notes of incense, wood, and citrus that Skunkman and Co. managed to provide it with was indeed very special. But, if there was one thing that seduced cannabis smokers, apart from the taste, it was its mind-blowing effect capable of driving you into a psychedelic state of mind from which it took long to escape.

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
Is this untrue?.
So for the development of Haze, the brothers put together three 100 % sativa genetics: a Landrace, a pure Mexican sativa and a Colombian landrace. One year later, the best selected female plants from the previous bunch were crossed with a landrace male from Thailand, and the germ of what we know today as Original Haze was created.

As Sam himself acknowledged some years later, the strain created by the Haze Brothers was rather difficult to tame. Given its poor stability, the easiest things turned into incredibly challenging tasks. One of the first phenos to appear was Purple Haze, an amazing strain that also obtained global recognition and still today is remembered as a legend. However, Sam was determined to stabilize it and he most certainly did it. For doing so, he collaborated with Robert Clarke from Sacred Seeds.

No sooner did they get to work than they noticed that the more they tried to improve the quality of Haze, the less vigorous it became and thus the poorer the quality ended up being. But, after a while, they finally realized that the best plants were the ones derived from the cross of a Haze and another strain they'd previously worked with, being Haze the one that added the extra touch of quality to the cross. It wasn't until 1976, though, that Sam and Robert decided to start selling the seeds of what we now call Original Haze: a 100 % sativa hybrid very much appreciated by cannabis growers and users alike. No wonder most of them ended up worshipping this strain. The incredible scent of spices accented by subtle notes of incense, wood, and citrus that Skunkman and Co. managed to provide it with was indeed very special. But, if there was one thing that seduced cannabis smokers, apart from the taste, it was its mind-blowing effect capable of driving you into a psychedelic state of mind from which it took long to escape.
???

Brother this looks like a quote from a book

Is this your opinion or did you Quote someone?

bigherb

Veteran
I've read that..I would agree the sticks didn't have many seeds. I did find some. That kind of quality is just not seen anymore, why?... I lived in Cali during that same time. We saw a lot of imported weed from many countries loaded with seeds, Thai included. Im not sure if Sam was being honest about herms found while stabalizing. All I talk to(excluding Hempy) also saw lots of intersexed plants back in the 70s.
Brother

I appreciate you sharing your experience . Interesting thought of the Special Qualities of Yesteryear Imports that are no longer Seen

I really wish Some of the OG’s were once Again Active in the Online Community . There was a Time where Old Timers from the 70’s and Breeders in the Game actually shared there experiences and interacted on the Boards

If these Stories are Not shared and Spread History will be lost .

That was some fantasy of RCC working Haze in 76 , it be interesting to See him posting again .

1luvbigherb

Latest posts

Latest posts