What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

smogo

That's great to hear. Did that stuff come with any seeds and did you grow any? Asia is definitely where it's at when it comes to trip weed.

Laos is the only Asian country I have been game to smoke in and they had stuff like the old Thai sticks. Wow.

Yep, plenty of seeds. Never thought to save them though unfortunately.
I would love to do a backpacking trip around Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam. I bet that smoke was insane!
I 100% agree, trip weed is everywhere to be found in SE Asia if you look in the right places... a lot of garbage of course too. Not that you could tell until you smoked it :rasta:

In Penang in 1979, our contact always stated the best stuff was 'Aceh' weed. Just a boat trip across the straights, I'm guessing it was an easy ride in those days. The stuff we had I'm guessing was 'Sumatran Red'. Strong stuff. But the strongest I tried were sticks some Italians came with right out of Burma. By the time the joint been passed around the dozen or so people sitting around... everybody was talking at once. Save one of the Italian guys - who has to walked around for 30 minutes or so till regained his composure. The first toke told me we were in for a ride. Halcyon days brothers... halcyon days.

During my time in Malaysia, the red string stuff was always the best. I also recall a lot of "mango weed from Thailand" floating around which was usually trip weed as well.
One time I asked one of my connects where he sourced his stuff from - he said he didn't really know, but if he were to guess he suggested Cambodia.

Around a year ago they were in talks to decriminalize in Malaysia. Also heard that it's not as bad there as people imagine. Was just talking about it yesterday

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/malaysia-will-soon-decriminalize-drug-possession-top-government-official-says/

https://www.analyticalcannabis.com/articles/malaysia-takes-step-towards-cannabis-legalization-311610

This would absolutely make sense to me. Their current laws are ridiculous - there is currently an online petition to prevent a well known doctor getting the death penalty - for treating his cancer patients with CBD! And supposedly they recovered too. Ridiculous...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this kinda stuff but here is the link to the petition just for curiosities sake: https://www.change.org/p/jabatan-peguam-negara-free-muhammad-lukman?recruiter=1109387386&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_by_id=589a39e0-a6e7-11ea-b351-2b3e91114fa6&utm_content=fht-13544118-en-gb%3Av2

harvestreaper

Veteran
picture.php

smogo

Beautiful plants! Interesting looking leaves... I've just popped 3, waiting for them to spring out :plant grow:

I'm hoping these Mango Thais will closest resemble the sticky, psychedelic "mango weed" I was regularly getting in Malaysia. I haven't managed to find too many reports on this strain. I guess only time (a looong time haha) will tell. :rasta:

harvestreaper

Veteran
Beautiful plants! Interesting looking leaves... I've just popped 3, waiting for them to spring out :plant grow:

I'm hoping these Mango Thais will closest resemble the sticky, psychedelic "mango weed" I was regularly getting in Malaysia. I haven't managed to find too many reports on this strain. I guess only time (a looong time haha) will tell. :rasta:

thanks,,,that malay mango weed sounds good ,,had 6 on this run 4 females two males 2 0f the females and 1 male smell strong mango one more subtle and another more earthy atb on your quest:plant grow:

Thesearch

Let us know how they go! What breeder are they from? The real seed company? I wanted to cross it with a zamaldelica to stabilize the mango carrot smell while retaining psychedelia :hotbounce

Signed that petition too! I'm pretty sure that's allowed, next time go to the advanced posting option and you'll see on the top of where you write all the tool icons; click the mini planet earth with a paper clip then paste the link inside the window (it will probably double the https:// part so delete the extra one). It will then show up as a clickable link.

https://www.change.org/p/jabatan-peguam-negara-free-muhammad-lukman?recruiter=1109387386&ut m_source=share_petition&utm_me dium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf _combo_share_initial&utm_term= psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_ by_id=589a39e0-a6e7-11ea-b351-2b3e91114fa6&utm_content=fht-13544118-en-gb%3Av2

Last edited:

smogo

Let us know how they go! What breeder are they from? The real seed company? I wanted to cross it with a zamaldelica to stabilize the mango carrot smell while retaining psychedelia :hotbounce

Signed that petition too! I'm pretty sure that's allowed, next time go to the advanced posting option and you'll see on the top of where you write all the tool icons; click the mini planet earth with a paper clip then paste the link inside the window (it will probably double the https:// part so delete the extra one). It will then show up as a clickable link.

https://www.change.org/p/jabatan-peguam-negara-free-muhammad-lukman?recruiter=1109387386&ut m_source=share_petition&utm_me dium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf _combo_share_initial&utm_term= psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_ by_id=589a39e0-a6e7-11ea-b351-2b3e91114fa6&utm_content=fht-13544118-en-gb%3Av2

Is the mango carrot smelling plants the psychedelic pheno? I have a Highland Thai growing that smells a bit like this - musky, carroty smell is the only way I can describe it

Thesearch

Is the mango carrot smelling plants the psychedelic pheno? I have a Highland Thai growing that smells a bit like this - musky, carroty smell is the only way I can describe it

Wish I could answer but this will be my first time growing the strain. I have had similar flavours come out of some Congo crosses and always loved it. I know there is a stronger line of zamal listed as different then the mango carrot pheno with one breeder, but as far as the zamaldelica I really don't know

ThaiBliss

Veteran
ThaiBliss - I too am forever searching for the seeds to be able to grow the 'trip' weed I so extensively smoked during my 7 years in SE Asia. In my experience, trip weed is still very prominent all over that region - although it can be hit or miss and usually in the form of low quality, commercially bricked stuff.

A standard pick up in Kuala Lumpur, smoked this stuff for years, very potent and trippy:
View Image

Surroundings and vibes shifting. Auditory hallucinations. Uncontrollable paranoia. Delusions of grandeur.
All part of the package with this stuff.

I'm so jealous. Very nice.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
That's great to hear. Did that stuff come with any seeds and did you grow any? Asia is definitely where it's at when it comes to trip weed.

Laos is the only Asian country I have been game to smoke in and they had stuff like the old Thai sticks. Wow.

Yes, wow is right. You can find phenos in Neville's Haze, if the genetics are the same as back in the day.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Trippy hash exists too, but from my experience, it's really rare to get tripping hash. I've made very clean dry sifted hash made from sativas and thats the jar you keep reaching for and it was excellent, a real brain zinger but it's wasn't tripping hash ...but I did get some once, I scored it in Hongkong in the early 90's, I just bought enough for a few days, had one smoke of it and went back and bought all he had (and ounce) and smuggled it back. It looked like dark, hard honey and lifted me higher and trippier and better than any hash I've ever made or bought or tried....a piece half the size of a grain of rice would efff you up into trippsville with very positive feelings, the scent was beautiful....it was probably Himalayan, maybe Nepalese? who knows? maybe it from one of the 'stans just west of China.

When it comes to buying any bud or hash, it's been my experience that if you come across anything that is truly exceptional, buy as much as you can safely afford because really great bud that zings your brain in the right way is a rare thing, especially when travelling....because if you don't, when you go back for more, it will be all gone.

I was given a cutting long ago that was named Perky. Some of my friends made fun of it calling it Edgy. It was Thai and Afghani, but a Thai leaner in effect. It was the shit, but didn't breed well, though I used it anyway.

I made hash from those buds, and it was great. I took some back to my old hunting grounds and shared some with my connection from childhood. He was a very experienced smoker who smoked every thing I did growing up. He smoked some before going out with his wife for a dinner date. He felt compelled to call me in the middle of it just to let me know that he considered that homemade finger hash world class, which is quite a compliment coming from him. It was trippy by my definition.

wutwut

Veteran
ThaiBliss - I too am forever searching for the seeds to be able to grow the 'trip' weed I so extensively smoked during my 7 years in SE Asia. In my experience, trip weed is still very prominent all over that region - although it can be hit or miss and usually in the form of low quality, commercially bricked stuff.

A standard pick up in Kuala Lumpur, smoked this stuff for years, very potent and trippy:
View Image

Surroundings and vibes shifting. Auditory hallucinations. Uncontrollable paranoia. Delusions of grandeur.
All part of the package with this stuff.

i really wan't to know what strain is that if it's same stuff as in thailand islands. it was most powerful weed for me and i was thinking if it's soaked in opium water before drying. i tried to get some seeds but smoking it won haha.

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
i really wan't to know what strain is that if it's same stuff as in thailand islands. it was most powerful weed for me and i was thinking if it's soaked in opium water before drying. i tried to get some seeds but smoking it won haha.

View Image
My understanding is that the weed available in the Thai islands like Koh Chang is common commercial Cambodian. I read a story where people hosting tourists there drove to Laos, Chang Mai, and Burma to bring back the good stuff. It was supposed to be very good. Maybe you had that.

My theory is that stretch of the Mekong river coming out of the Tibetan plateau has cool night air flowing down stream, the best wild genetics, and also the Hmong culture that bred those Cannabis genetics righteously. There is also a theory that genetics from India got blended there. I think they call it something similar to ganja, so the evidence is linguistic. Sometimes things just come together to make a Cannabis sweet spot.

That theory is straight right out of my ass. LOL

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Been playing with curing (1 year) some haze/thai crosses tied in stick form like thai sticks in cigar tubes, might want to try it.
Smooth expansive old school memories. Pretty trippy effect.

Can't wait for this years crop ( Super Silver haze, OA/SLH x LH/Starfighter from Cap to finish in my long term

Crossing the haze crosses with Vietnam black, golden Tiger and some Chocolate thai for next years run on trippy experiments.

Really enjoy all the knowledge from the sharing ! Thank you
Those look really nice. Very similar color to Thai Sticks.
:smokey:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
...never ever in the last 20 years there has been so much diversity of exotic seeds available to the growers as is today....
The key to that is "in the last 20 years". It's not even vaguely close to what was available in the 70s.

Sorry everyone. It's been so long, I'm probably responding to things I already responded to.
:laughing:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here's a picture of my highly cherished BLB/Super Laos:
picture.php

I'm trying to preserve this all while my life is reaching a crossroads. It figures that when I finally get some obviously very S.E. Asian genetics, I am unable to do them right, right away. I'm going to do something. Preservation/Johnny Apple Seeding is my goal.