What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

LostTribe

Premium user
Greetings,

Thanks for your post Leet. That was a good writeup of the differences between Haze C and Haze A. I'm surprised to hear that Mullumbimby Madness doesn't have any of the incense aroma, since every single plant I have popped from the Gypsy cross has incense aroma, almost all of them very strongly. It seems to be recessive by your descriptions of Hz C and Hz A combinations. It would be very surprising for it to express itself with only 25% Neville's Haze. I just assumed it was coming from Mullum since I'd heard that Mullum looks like it has Colombian in it. I never noticed the incense in Thai, but I remember a particular Colombian, looked like Mangobiche, that I loved and had this balsa wood and incense taste to it. It was one of my favorite Colombian strains.

If anyone has grown pure Gypsy Thai, I'd love to hear if incense aromas were noted. What aromas did it have?

The more recent strains that gave me the most incense aroma were:

Western Winds

Gypsy Thai x Mullumbimby Madness x Neville's Haze

Purple Haze Thai x SAGE - This is the one that gave me spot on frankinsence aroma, just like Catholic church and funeral homes when I was a kid.

I didn't keep any of those incense plants. Each time I grew one of those, I already had something that got me higher. Not better tasting, that's for sure. I loved the aroma and flavor of the incense ones, and the highs were all really nice. Everyone loved them. I just could reach heights on my other strains that I couldn't reach on the incense plants. Others disagreed, but I grow for my tastes most of all. The Neville's Haze I grew and considered world class didn't have a trace of incense or even a Colombian type of high. It was Thai Stick all the way.

I wanted to write about a couple other plants. First, the Baglung Nepali. These plants weren't the most vigorous seedlings, but they are really showing their stuff lately. Now that they are in the ground and summer is here with a vengence, forecast is over 100 degrees the next couple of days, the Nepalese are shooting towards the sky and finally getting branches. I was worried they were just going to be hemp with almost no branching. The aroma is strong perfume/floral. They remind me a lot of the Bangi Haze that I considered to be the best quality high. I found stronger ones and weaker ones with other aromas, but the floral ones had the best high, IMHO.

The most vigorous plants as seedling and now continue to be are the Laos. They are also super pungent. The sharp lemon and menthol smell dominates and continue to just scream old school Hawaiian to me. I'm sure the Hawaiian plants were originally from Laos, among other locations, but it is the lemon menthol ones that were the most distinctive as Hawaiian. I love them.

ThaiBliss

Glad to hear from l33t! Great info! I need to figure out which Trippy Sativa to run next. My NH didn't pop so have most of a pack of that also Zamadelica regs and my Zamadelica f2s.

Regarding the church coming from that SAGE cross. I had some way back in CO like 10 years back from a place that had the craziest incense smell with a slight chem or fuel background. It was great smoke.

Also experienced strong Nag Champa with some Kali Mist aka Western Winds that I got from a bro.

Are any reliable breeders currently offering any Mullumbimby or crosses? Something that would relate to the MM from back in the day. Also hoping we may see the Giant OZ Tree Master back at work soon!

LT

geneva_sativa

Veteran
Glad to hear from l33t! Great info! I need to figure out which Trippy Sativa to run next. My NH didn't pop so have most of a pack of that also Zamadelica regs and my Zamadelica f2s.

Regarding the church coming from that SAGE cross. I had some way back in CO like 10 years back from a place that had the craziest incense smell with a slight chem or fuel background. It was great smoke.

Also experienced strong Nag Champa with some Kali Mist aka Western Winds that I got from a bro.

Are any reliable breeders currently offering any Mullumbimby or crosses? Something that would relate to the MM from back in the day. Also hoping we may see the Giant OZ Tree Master back at work soon!

LT
Hey LT,

I saw that Connoisseur has MM x NH hit with reversed Casey Jones pollen

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Hoping this one that just got harvested turns out to be a trippy weed. Its a bagseed sativa. Harvested at end of week 13 of 1212. All trich are cloudy at harvest.

Attachments

• 20190613_123624.jpg
    20190613_123624.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190613_114936.jpg
    20190613_114936.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190613_093921.jpg
    20190613_093921.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190613_093817.jpg
    20190613_093817.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 35

ThaiBliss

Veteran
After a slow start, here is one of the SAGE-Ified Bangi Wicked Weed plants in the big girl garden. She is rolling now!
picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

LostTribe

Premium user
After a slow start, here is one of the SAGE-Ified Bangi Wicked Weed plants in the big girl garden. She is rolling now!
View Image

View Image

ThaiBliss

Stocky!

That unknown sat ol boy up there posted looks interesting.

SSat....I try to stay away from the polyhybrids of today. If I could find the MM x NH though.... MM pure would be better, but doubt anyone retains that aside from a select group of old-timers. Maybe Kang.

Night4wings20

I have MM from Yantra seeds plus a MM cross from Southern Star Seeds (both Australian seed companies). Idk how the "purity" is but I think the MM from Yantra is pretty close to the real deal or the real deal.

I'll have to post some pictures once I get them up and going.

J

jaded1

There are a few diff mm/nevs haze seeds from Bushweed and few others with mm up on real gorilla seeds at mo.Trying to narrow down which seeds to get as are expensive but would like a pack of them all!

geneva_sativa

Veteran
wow, I didn't know there were so many MM releases out there,,, fantastic news to hear !

ThaiBliss,, your plants sure seem to have that something special about them, looking very magic :canabis:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
wow, I didn't know there were so many MM releases out there,,, fantastic news to hear !

ThaiBliss,, your plants sure seem to have that something special about them, looing very magic :canabis:
Thanks Geneva, I really appreciate that. I've been growing those genetics a very, very long time. Of course they are not the same since I outcross to much, but the improvements in the last 5 years have made me very proud. I wish I could show this off the results easier. I'm anxious to see how the SAGE affects these. I sat on SAGE a long time before I made sure that Bangi Haze genetics was a solid addition. I won't wait so long in the SAGE decision. Having SAGE has been great. Never got tired of it. I will use it to shorten the ripening of the S.E. Asian genetics enough that I can even introduce it to my line. They are way too long flowering to directly introduce them to my outdoor line.

I was cutting back all my breeders this morning. It gives me the chance to rub a lot of stems and remind myself of the terpenes that each have. Like I said before, the terpene profiles seem to change some as the plants grow. The Laos plants slay me. If I breed them into the line, the strong menthol is going to reinforce the menthol that already exists. I doubt it will diminish in the meantime since the Kali Mist cross has menthol and mint in it. That reminds me. One of the Laos has some mint that I detected. When I smelled it, I had to look at the tag to see what plant it was from. I guessed it was the Fett's 303, and I was surprised to read that it was one of the Laos.

I'm going to have some really nice samples next spring/summer if all goes well and these breeders make it through to January.

ThaiBliss

Breadwizard

The terpines sure can change during a grow, the 'a' pheno on my zams has morphed from the sweet carrot into dead on blue chewy sweet tart. The other girl has retained the fresh pulled root vegetable, but has moved more towards parsnip, and upped the earth.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Thanks Geneva, I really appreciate that. I've been growing those genetics a very, very long time. Of course they are not the same since I outcross to much, but the improvements in the last 5 years have made me very proud. I wish I could show this off the results easier. I'm anxious to see how the SAGE affects these. I sat on SAGE a long time before I made sure that Bangi Haze genetics was a solid addition. I won't wait so long in the SAGE decision. Having SAGE has been great. Never got tired of it. I will use it to shorten the ripening of the S.E. Asian genetics enough that I can even introduce it to my line. They are way too long flowering to directly introduce them to my outdoor line.

I was cutting back all my breeders this morning. It gives me the chance to rub a lot of stems and remind myself of the terpenes that each have. Like I said before, the terpene profiles seem to change some as the plants grow. The Laos plants slay me. If I breed them into the line, the strong menthol is going to reinforce the menthol that already exists. I doubt it will diminish in the meantime since the Kali Mist cross has menthol and mint in it. That reminds me. One of the Laos has some mint that I detected. When I smelled it, I had to look at the tag to see what plant it was from. I guessed it was the Fett's 303, and I was surprised to read that it was one of the Laos.

I'm going to have some really nice samples next spring/summer if all goes well and these breeders make it through to January.

ThaiBliss

Hi ThaiBliss,
How long have you had your sage plant? Is it from a feminized pack of seeds?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi ThaiBliss,
How long have you had your sage plant? Is it from a feminized pack of seeds?
I don't have it anymore, but I kept it for about 8 years, I'm guessing. Never found anything I liked better, while I had it. The cut was gifted to me, so I don't know much about it. I lost it, but not before I crossed it to something earlier, which was always the intended use. We'll see how the children come out.

Some info on the Mullumbimby Madness:
I read a post on Kangativa's Mullumbimby Madness thread. A poster who seemed to have experience with many Mullum crosses said one of them had the "MM piney thing going on". None of the plants I grew had pine as a dominant aroma. I think the catpiss aroma is basically citric/pine combined just right, so maybe I selected one that showed a good amount of Mullum.

B.T.W., the most piney plants I ever grew were SAGE and Maui. SAGE is pure turpentine after a long cure. The high from one of those long cured SAGE buds put pine on the top of my list of aromas I look for, right along with citric and menthol. I never did flower the Maui. My most painful loss in the last 10 years. It is why I waited so long to pop all the S.E. Asian genetics, and why the first thing I'm doing with them is making seed.

Everyone likes a good picture of bud. Here is the biggest SAGE bud I ever grew:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

OldCoolSativa

SAGE was a cross of purple Zacatecas and an Indica. So if you're breeding with SAGE you're breeding with 50% Afghani. I know a guy who's been sitting on some purple zac seeds since he collected and froze them in the 1970s. I was really happy to learn that he's finally running them this season. Hopefully he'll make some cuts or seeds available, which would make honest-to-God trip weed more of a reality.

Breadwizard

SAGE is has crossed paths with indica twice, once to create BSHW, and again to create SAGE.

I've been hunting down BSHW for it's many years of outdoor breeding in a local environment (central coast of California), as well as it's reported high type. There's magic in the sativa side of the cross for sure.