What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Search for Trip Weed

B

beanz

i have no argument there is potent weed around ,
and no doubt you grow good weed too ,
but its not really the same man ,

im pretty sure the amount of folks like myself , hard rain , canna , sam ,thai bliss etc , we couldnt all be wrong surely ??

granted its difficult to find what was grown yesteryear ,
but that doesnt make it fantasy .....

either that , or threads like this are a waste of time??

or you took it the wrong way :biggrin:.certainly wouldn't say threads like this are waste time ....its actually one my favourite threads
a cat among the pigeons never hurts .....keeps you guys on your toes . my words not gospel ....
its just a thought I had about stories , memories and how the human body works ....how the brain is affected by cannabis , thats where the magic happens to give you the effects .....why it has such different affects on some people also . ;)

I,m glad the weed was better from people opinion ....gives me something to keep looking for .....

I remember smoking some imported thai stick wrapped in red cotton and more imported New Guinea gold than you can believe .

the thai gear was far better imo.....

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
If the weed ten years before I was born is that great I say you guys need to bust those old jars out of storage and prove it. I have no arguement for it getting weaker other than I have seen good strains go downhill over the years and I have built a tolerance to any surpisingly powerful herb. Maybe not full tolerance but the trippy qualities seem to be the first part of the buzz to become imune too.

I grew a jack the ripper a few times that give me strong visual distortion, almost melty. But I had to wait a week or so to get that effect. I noticed after burning quite a bit of aces zamal the trippy waves were less noticable too.

Lesnah

I'm too young compared to you guys when talking about sativas from days past....but I'ma come back to this thread once genetics are better mapped to see how close i was to the actual ancestor. Something is telling me the Cape Trib is from Tropical India maybe even Sri Lanka. I haven't grown out most of my Nanan Seeds but i've been collecting them since the breeder first offered them about 4 years ago...i can tell you...they are very similar to Keralan ganjah.

rexamus616

Veteran
well my purple oldtimers haze was trippy till the end of the pound.... i just had to smoke a little more of it toward the end....

and my keeper malawi i found in the Seeds of Africa malawi gold is trippy and strong no matter how much i smoke....

i was smoking from sunrise to sunset.... quite heavily too.... still got the effects.... :tiphat:

But i was basically immune to everything else....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
or you took it the wrong way :biggrin:.certainly wouldn't say threads like this are waste time ....its actually one my favourite threads
a cat among the pigeons never hurts .....keeps you guys on your toes . my words not gospel ....
its just a thought I had about stories , memories and how the human body works ....how the brain is affected by cannabis , thats where the magic happens to give you the effects .....why it has such different affects on some people also . ;)

I,m glad the weed was better from people opinion ....gives me something to keep looking for .....

I remember smoking some imported thai stick wrapped in red cotton and more imported New Guinea gold than you can believe .

the thai gear was far better imo.....
i noted hints of that old golden thai ,
not the stick stuff ,
the stuff that came after ,
in that mmx thai 78 when i grew it ,

thats why i recommended it highly to you ,
not sure it translates as much in the high ,
but the odor was there ,
so gives hope something similar to golden thai could be found among the seed ...

i d agree the thai was stronger than the png i had also ,
though the png had a much nicer aroma and taste ,
well the fresh stuff we grew from the seed did anyhow ...
id reckon they would have made a great cross ...

B

beanz

I,m searching for trip weed anyway thats why I,m here , hay bliss ;) great thread you got mate and love your posts
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I,m not sure the weed was so much better 20 years ago , is it more the fact our receptors were firing so much better with our youthfulness .

engines wear out over time , the brain would be much the same yeah? ( referring too the aussie recollections )
Beanz - Thanks for posting some of your pictures here. It is an inspiration to see those awesome plants you are growing so well.

I have to take issue about my judgment being warped by fond memories of my youth. My most recent experience with a super high grade S.E. Asian type of high was only about 16 years ago, a drop in the bucket for an old shoe like me. It was from a very special Neville's Haze I found while looking through 30+ Haze plants. I think it was the best weed I had ever smoked. The only one better than Thai Stick or Sumatran or the Jamaican Ganja I had in my childhood. I suspect there is the possibility that I am over valuing my recent experience because it had been so long since I had seen something like it. Maybe I forget how good that old Thai Stick really was. Seriously.

Yes Hard Rain - It was 30+ years ago now. Dang! It was the early 80s when things changed so dramatically, for us around the States.
.. a cat among the pigeons never hurts .....keeps you guys on your toes . my words not gospel ....
LOL. I appreciate your comments almost as much as pictures of your plants. Hahaha. Just kidding man. Keep your thoughts coming. I love hearing from you, Donald, Lesnah, and the rest of you guys down there. I know you guys are much closer to what was the pipeline of my cherished Thai and you should know what I'm always raving about.

I do have to give props to the more local weed from the Western Hemisphere, especially since my favorite genetics I now hold express qualities derived from fine grade Mexican. I'm referring to SAGE. Mexicans had/have a unique happy quality. They can also have trippy qualities similar to mushrooms. Also, as noted before, the Jamaican Ganja (Indian) had the screaming scary good energetic qualities similar to Thai.

T.B.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I think a lot of modern breeding has not been good to our plant, especially for those of us that chase the sativa type high.
I could not agree more.
They talk about the entourage effect. I think I am after the opposite.
Interesting perspective. I've always thought of the entourage effect as so many variables that affect the expression of the high. But I've described the Thai high as more of a single musical note compared to a chord, so I might agree with you in some ways.

My recent experiences with my favorites are a contradiction. Kali Mist had such a subtle floral and ever so slightly minty taste, but had a strong buzzy Thai like effect. This leans to your notion. But Nanan Bouclou had a extremely rich, super sweet, menthol/pine, spicy complex flavor. However, it's effect was so exceptionally clean, clear, and happy.

I would have gotten bored with this long ago if it wasn't so complicated.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
... and one more thing... or two. LOL!
I have had some weed that kicked my ass but barely did anything if I smoked it the next day. It would kick my ass again if I laid off of it for a week. That old Thai Stick, it would do it to me every time.

Given Donald's comments of the flavor of PNG, I'm guessing there is PNG in Nanan Bouclou. The Nanan Bouclou plant I grew last summer was the second tastiest bud I have ever grown. It slays me for the flavor. Then again, I'd kill every plant I have for something comparable to and as potent as the venerable Thai Stick.

herbgreen

Veteran
someone posted a purple sativa like pheno found in SAGE f2s

It would be worth the look into it

Adam Dunn def confirmed its BSHW mother and we can guess its zacatecas purple in there

Or theres a version that BSHW is only zacatecas purple that was adapted to the Cali coast from years of selection

A good source on Big Sur holy Weed information

https://highboldtage.wordpress.com/tag/big-sur-holy-weed/

Quite a few work with the Big Sur Holy and I believe it came through refeerman theres a thread here somewhere on it...

I would say the Afghani plays a unique role in SAGE however Its a runt and slow veg plant

BSHW may have been too early like earlly 70s to have Afghani so its adapted mexican purple red stem

But the Afghani used by Adam is a good one watching it grow its got a good vibe to it...

Its being worked with Adam and SHN hes got another company which is all sage crosses sagemasta select

Last edited:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
well my purple oldtimers haze was trippy till the end of the pound.... i just had to smoke a little more of it toward the end....
and my keeper malawi i found in the Seeds of Africa malawi gold is trippy and strong no matter how much i smoke....
i was smoking from sunrise to sunset.... quite heavily too.... still got the effects.... :tiphat:
But i was basically immune to everything else....
appreciate that purp OT haze feedback. i harvested my last purp 7wks ago, and letting it cure more.
got 2 purple OThazes out of a pack of green, the first was very fast for a purple and began showing
ambers at around 18wks of 11/13 light schedule (the whole time). her reveg today...

she had the largest trichomes of any others, green or purp, and they were of a nice round globe shape.
aroma is an almost sweet "berrywood" that you won't find in a dispensary herb.
she'll get those last buds cut off today and get up-potted, and then cloned after some more growth.
those clones should finish in the 16-17wk range under 11/13.

2nd purpie was a more classic >20wks type that was wispy wheat budded (extreme low yielding),
and didn't show any purple until the last week(s) of flowering. her re-veg today...

same "berrywood" aroma as the quicker purp atop, but a little sweeter.

her wispy wheat pheno-ness (and green subterfuge) during flower...

EDIT
i have a pack of cannabiogen's pure durban (10-14wks flowering)...
https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/cannabiogen/durbanstd.html
...and thinking about launching a pack for crossing with the quick purpOThaze
to end up with faster, but still pure sativa, haze-hybrid off-spring.
finishing in the 12-18wks range.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
someone posted a purple sativa like pheno found in SAGE f2s

It would be worth the look into it

Adam Dunn def confirmed its BSHW mother and we can guess its zacatecas purple in there

Or theres a version that BSHW is only zacatecas purple that was adapted to the Cali coast from years of selection

A good source on Big Sur holy Weed information

https://highboldtage.wordpress.com/tag/big-sur-holy-weed/

Quite a few work with the Big Sur Holy and I believe it came through refeerman theres a thread here somewhere on it...

I would say the Afghani plays a unique role in SAGE however Its a runt and slow veg plant

BSHW may have been too early like earlly 70s to have Afghani so its adapted mexican purple red stem

But the Afghani used by Adam is a good one watching it grow its got a good vibe to it...

Its being worked with Adam and SHN hes got another company which is all sage crosses sagemasta select
Herbgreen - Thanks for the information. I have been working with Big Sur Holy Weed also, which is very similar to SAGE. I thought the SAGE cut I had was a bit more trippy, but both have that long delayed onset of the profound moment after smoking when you realize that there are special genetics in this weed. SAGE is a bit more piney, and lacked the floral note in BSHW. Both ripened at about the same time for me, mid December. The examples of each strain I had are visually indistinguishable. I once had a green version of BSHW and it looks like the purple one, except for color. The SAGE cut I have looks like no other SAGE expression I have seen. It is more sativa leaning. The sativa looking offspring of my SAGE x Bangi Wicked cross is expressing the floral scent. Bangi Haze had it also, so it could be from that. Again, these two lines, SAGE x Bangi Wicked and BSHW x Bangi Wicked will eventually be kissing cousins.

Hi Lowfaulutin - I have already crossed SAGE with Purple OTH x Meao Thai (PHT). I have set that aside for the time being since the first one I tested was not as trippy as SAGE, and my work with Bangi Haze has shown so much promise. As a side note, SAGE x PHT and Gypsy Thai x Mullum x Neville's Haze both had the aroma most like frankincense that I have found. I don't remember if I let the SAGE x PHT cure long enough before testing it. I'll come back to it. LOL. A friend reported to me that it was very psychedelic and very potent when taken orally.

I have SAGE crossed with a few others. I don't want to lose those genetics. LMAO

Please bear with me. I tend to repeat details about what I'm doing. Some people haven't read the whole thread. Plus, being that I'm old, I tend to repeat myself a lot anyway. I also get excited about what I'm doing.

ThaiBliss

herbgreen

Veteran
Information worth repeating when talking SAGE and BSHW sativa weed IMHO

Always good,,,,

I know we always refer to sativas as the trippy strains but we have to give credit to the unknown factor of these old Afghani in the mix

Just the flavor and history of it is worth keeping around

G

Gr33nSanta

Might be why my bluespoon can be so strong. I am pretty sure the SAGE you talk about is the same Jordan used in his bluesage. My bluespoon is bluesage x Dr. Grinspoon. Might be a s1 too I forget. All I know is I gave 2 dabs of it to someone that had never dabbed before. Oops hahaha

ThaiBliss

Veteran
All this talk of SAGE makes me want to post another picture:

picture.php

I had two other seedlings. As much as I am desperate for a male, the other two showed too much of the indica that is in it. I have options if this turns out to be female, including a chance to test it. :) Despite this one looking so sativa like, I expect this to ripen at least a month earlier than the pure SAGE or BSHW.

Here is one of the two Kali Mist Wickeds that were the most sativa leaning:
picture.php

The other one that I posted a picture of had more of the crocodile tails that I remember from Thai, but this looks a bit more sativa leaning. I think Kali Mist has had the best kept secret of it's ancestry.
Information worth repeating when talking SAGE and BSHW sativa weed IMHO

Always good,,,,

I know we always refer to sativas as the trippy strains but we have to give credit to the unknown factor of these old Afghani in the mix

Just the flavor and history of it is worth keeping around

Herb - I have had a trippy indica, but it was flashy. It only lasted about 10 minutes. It also hit me quickly like an indica. SAGE and BSHW has a delayed effect of almost an hour. Mexicans have reportedly described the Zacatecas Purple high as "in the presence of God". Pretty much sums up the blissful profundity of SAGE and BSHW.

herbgreen

Veteran
Thats great you are working with some males and known sativa sage cut you could test the progeny on

I like this direction of finding the sativa SAGE

Seems Adam does alot of crosses and work the other direction but its most likely also to keep his company afloat

Great see SAGE recognized and its underated I think its one thats equal to more than sum of its parts for sure

Its a very fine line to get that One that has the power and retains that truly psychedelic effects

Its more than a trippy weed its got a meaningful spirit high connection...

Very Best of luck in that pursuit :ying:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Ghost train haze for me was super clear and maybe a little geeky but not quite trippy.
cheers xet. picked up an oz of GTH on 420 for $118, tax inc. and free pipe, lol.
and much prefer its effects to the terp sugar variant i posted a pic of here.
that oz'll tide me over until my homegrown has the courtesy of a proper cure.

i'm finding the concentrate format for classically
energetic sativa strains not very energetic.
based on having the nevilles haze, and now these two...

...as well as the GTH terp sugar.
something chemically gets lost in the process?

since we're sharing baby pics, this is the
fast-finishing and frosty sage reveg today.

the very-purple, longer-flowering sage isn't having much luck revegging.

[...
Hi Lowfaulutin - I have already crossed SAGE with Purple OTH x Meao Thai (PHT). I have set that aside for the time being since the first one I tested was not as trippy as SAGE, and my work with Bangi Haze has shown so much promise. As a side note, SAGE x PHT and Gypsy Thai x Mullum x Neville's Haze both had the aroma most like frankincense that I have found. I don't remember if I let the SAGE x PHT cure long enough before testing it. I'll come back to it. LOL. A friend reported to me that it was very psychedelic and very potent when taken orally.

i remember the hash that was a mix of the Sage x Poth and something else.

the plan for now is only giving the sage and green&purp OT hazes some durban pollen.
no other crossings planned for the moment. if anything, may try taking the fast sage and
"reversing" it on the fast-finishing purpOTH for a first attempt at feminized seeds.
went to look for the durban seeds this morning and luckily found them
in the first seed jar i went to. twice (20) as many of them as i was remembering (10),
as well as a few other need-to-get-around-to-eventually seed packs...

will launch a few of the durbans the next day or two.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Oh... I forgot about that SAGE Purple Oldtimer's Haze Thai hash! I think it was mixed with Bangi Haze hash. When it rains, it pours. Hahaha.
:smokey:
Then the droughts are too long. I did not forget about that Johnny Blaze, brother! When grass is good, it is really, really good. I've been smoking for almost 50 years just to once again stumble on the really good stuff on occasion. You're going to love the Nanan Bouclou.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
thats why I swear by traditionally made hash. keep the trichome intact.

You cant put something through a $50,000 co2 extraction machine and have it come out the other end anything other than man made destroyer sludge.
Agreed. I'd go even farther. The finest quality ganja is better than any hash I've ever had.

Latest posts

Latest posts