What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldmaninbc

Here in Colorado it's pine which is soft. Where I grew up it was Walnut and oak. A lot harder to split.
I never burnt much pine, fir and larch was what I mostly brought home. I liked larch the best, fir burns good but gives off a lot of splinters.
I spent a lot of time out in the bush and was always looking for an easy tree to harvest.

If I had to harvest those hardwoods I would get a log splitter.
With what I brought home, an axe, maul and splitting wedges would do the job with some sweat. Five to seven cords was a typical years use.

Littleleaf

Veteran
A looooong day working on a Cummins 350 big cam diesel PT fuel pump. This truck has set for 12 years with the diesel in its pump. Turned into what I can truck bed liner. Thick gooey muck. Nothing I had on hand would cut it.

Had Blondy go get a gallon of Lacquer thinner (lacquer is what the goo is) Tossed the parts in the ultrasonic with the thinner. Presto it sluffed rite off. Got everything but the air valve freed up. Looks like the only way to get it out is by damaging it. $180.oo part. Got to call the hey man to see if he has the monies to replace it.... (trading the labor for round bales of hay)

10+ pages to catch up on.... Laterz :wave:

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
A looooong day working on a Cummins 350 big cam diesel PT fuel pump. This truck has set for 12 years with the diesel in its pump. Turned into what I can truck bed liner. Thick gooey muck. Nothing I had on hand would cut it.

Had Blondy go get a gallon of Lacquer thinner (lacquer is what the goo is) Tossed the parts in the ultrasonic with the thinner. Presto it sluffed rite off. Got everything but the air valve freed up. Looks like the only way to get it out is by damaging it. $180.oo part. Got to call the hey man to see if he has the monies to replace it.... (trading the labor for round bales of hay)

10+ pages to catch up on.... Laterz :wave:
I like the trade work for hay thing 🙃😊

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I never burnt much pine, fir and larch was what I mostly brought home. I liked larch the best, fir burns good but gives off a lot of splinters.
I spent a lot of time out in the bush and was always looking for an easy tree to harvest.

If I had to harvest those hardwoods I would get a log splitter.
With what I brought home, an axe, maul and splitting wedges would do the job with some sweat. Five to seven cords was a typical years use.
Pine burns fast and hot....smells great. I was only up a few day a month but went through cords. Locals was about 5. But I am sure the furnace kicked on from time to time.

Latest posts

Latest posts