What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldfogey8

Talking about how to get my flag down. I need something about 30-40 ft long. GW says EMT would work and Boos got a pile of it. Still I sigh to see this. I have to fix it tomorrow…🙁
View attachment 18960652 View attachment 18960653
What about using some 1” pic piping? That stuff is really light and pretty cheap. A few unions and four 8 foot pieces and you could get there I think.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club

IMG_8271.jpeg

Unca Walt

420club
So my flag got blown in the wind over my pole. I need to recover it but puling on it only bends the pole a little. It’s a huge pole maybe 40 ft high. I’m not sure but up there with the electric wires. I think if I had a strap wrench, I could lower it but it been standing in the weather for years.
Any great ideas to get her down besides trying to unscrew the threads ? Don’t know what I’ll do if that doesn’t work. I need a basket to get up there otherwise. Who does one call for this?
View attachment 18960555 View attachment 18960556
@SubGirl Subbie Dear -- Puttin' my Enkingeer hat on... A guy in a bucket would not solve your problem, only the single instance of the problem occurring. <-- e.g. the flag can get inna same predicament tomorrow.

Your problem was first noted several centuries ago by flag flyers.

The solution is at once a PITA and... well, sorta necessary. It presents thisaway:

Your expense just to have sumbody unhook it (just once) will be an order of magnitude greater than a permanent fixeroo.

Build this $25 rig for the bottom and you have access to the top forever and ever, Amen:
1708164633668.jpeg
The top bolt is never removed. That's the pivot.

PS: Try to be neater than this example. Now you have permanent access in just a minute or so.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So much time on the way down..........bet it was a blast!
Certainly would be a rush. I wonder how much of that time that they realized that their chute wasn't going to open?
@SubGirl Subbie Dear -- Puttin' my Enkingeer hat on... A guy in a bucket would not solve your problem, only the single instance of the problem occurring. <-- e.g. the flag can get inna same predicament tomorrow.

Your problem was first noted several centuries ago by flag flyers.

The solution is at once a PITA and... well, sorta necessary. It presents thisaway:

Your expense just to have sumbody unhook it (just once) will be an order of magnitude greater than a permanent fixeroo.

Build this $25 rig for the bottom and you have access to the top forever and ever, Amen:
View attachment 18960752 The top bolt is never removed. That's the pivot.

PS: Try to be neater than this example. Now you have permanent access in just a minute or so.
That is actually a good idea and one that I've seen improvements on that might be handy given the size of Subbies flagpole.

The outside frames are metal instead of wood and there is a counterweight on the bottom, so that it is more controllable when lowering and it is easily tilted back up after laying it down.

I'll go get you a picture of one done that way today.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not contact that wire with a pvc pipe subbie!!!
Things a hazard I am surprised the power company hasn't squawked if its that close.
High voltage is not like house current that shit jumps.
PVC is actually nonconductive, but high voltage does do amazing things. Thirty or so feet of Schedule 40 PVC would be flimsy and hard to keep from waving about, so you might consider Schedule 80 or 120.

You could limit the travel on either EMT or PVC by attaching a loop to the top end that limited how far it could move away from the central pole.