What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

jokerman

Premium user
A couple winters ago the IGA in Delta Junction had their roof collapse due to snow load. Only real grocery store in that town.

This winter, the supply warehouse for Spenard Builders Supply in Anchorage collapsed from snow load, as they've had an unusually heavy snow-load season. When I was down there for a PET scan recently, well-established streets in nice neighborhoods over near Thai Kitchen (Best Thai food in anchorage in my opinion) and Providence Hospital's dorms had about 1-1/4 lanes open, and me in a rental praying not to come upon opposing traffic in my shiny 2022 vehicle.

Kind of embarrassing when the supply warehouse for a construction store caves in.

The winter of 1989, after the infamous Exxon Valdez spill in the Prince William Sound, Val;dez got over 50-ft. of snow.

When we lived there, in mid-winter, most winters, the streets looked like tunnels someone had removed the tippy top from. Same for driveways, and driveways were done with front-end loaders. Just like the streets. But they had big money there, with it being the terminus for the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline, thus they scooped up revenues like netting smelt.
When ever I read your posts brother I put on a sweatshirt and arm myself.

moose eater

The Alyeska Spring Carnival 'Slush Cup' (Girdwood, Alaska). Like the polar bear plunge that goes on in many places, but on down-hill skis, with a (potentially) harder landing.

1707171075374.png

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought a 4 family in Worcester about 20 years ago. I tried to be a great landlord. I was always there within a half hour of them calling. Made sure everything was right before I left. As time went on, the figured out I was at their beck and call sand started to abuse my kindness. I’d get calls at all hours for stupid sh!T like clogged toilets, damaged cupboards and fights with other tenants. The final straw for me was a call for a clogged toilet. The tenant said it wouldn’t flush. I told him I would be there shortly and to make sure nobody used it. 15 minutes later the tenant greeted me at the for and with a smirk said his friend had to take a dump and couldn’t wait. So I had to snake out a nasty toilet. My snake got stuck on something solid. It would up being stuck and as I pulled on it, the toilet started to buzz. I asked him if something could have fallen in. He laughed and ‘remembered’ his beard clipper was missing. I was pissed. My snake was damaged and I had shit water on me. I called a plumber and had the toilet replaced then called a property management company the next day. For $200/month, I had no more headaches. Tenants were pissed and called for a couple of months complaining about the management company. Oh well…
We may eventually go to a property management company now that they've passed local laws that we no longer can pick and choose our tenants. We have to take them first come, first served, even if they are Section 8 or have been evicted from their previous dwelling.

Somehow landlords have become demonized, and they can't pass enough new laws locally taking away our rights, whether we are bad or not. No wonder not enough people are building affordable rentals when they make it so hard on landlords.

moose eater

I would want to think about doing that very carefully.
We briefly hunted and ice fished with some crazy multi-generational gun-toting hippie Alaskans who were commercial salmon fishermen.

Their now-adult son would do long jumps on snowmobiles with his friends that would've competed well with Evil Knievel, and incurred injuries they seemed to shake off that made me queasy.

I sometimes worried when we were in the bush with them, me turning them on to my out-of-the-way bush spots, and my youngest son who was then an early teen, would take off into the darkness with them to go check on this or that.

I'd talk with them about outrunning one's headlights (my son in particular) on a frozen lake in the dark, that can have ice ridges or even pits and holes left by other fishermen, and they'd roll their eyes at me.

jokerman

Premium user
We may eventually go to a property management company now that they've passed local laws that we no longer can pick and choose our tenants. We have to take them first come, first served, even if they are Section 8 or have been evicted from their previous dwelling.

Somehow landlords have become demonized, and they can't pass enough new laws locally taking away our rights, whether we are bad or not. No wonder not enough people are building affordable rentals when they make it so hard on landlords.
Not easy being a landlord
one fart virus and everyone doesn't pay rent

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I bought a 4 family in Worcester about 20 years ago. I tried to be a great landlord. I was always there within a half hour of them calling. Made sure everything was right before I left. As time went on, the figured out I was at their beck and call sand started to abuse my kindness. I’d get calls at all hours for stupid sh!T like clogged toilets, damaged cupboards and fights with other tenants. The final straw for me was a call for a clogged toilet. The tenant said it wouldn’t flush. I told him I would be there shortly and to make sure nobody used it. 15 minutes later the tenant greeted me at the for and with a smirk said his friend had to take a dump and couldn’t wait. So I had to snake out a nasty toilet. My snake got stuck on something solid. It would up being stuck and as I pulled on it, the toilet started to buzz. I asked him if something could have fallen in. He laughed and ‘remembered’ his beard clipper was missing. I was pissed. My snake was damaged and I had shit water on me. I called a plumber and had the toilet replaced then called a property management company the next day. For $200/month, I had no more headaches. Tenants were pissed and called for a couple of months complaining about the management company. Oh well…
I built a condominium (small) complex in 2000. After 16 years of being a landlord I sold out to a land development company. I couldn't take inconsiderate tennants any more. Fogey's story reminds me of what I went through. Never again!

BrassNwood

Veteran
A couple winters ago the IGA in Delta Junction had their roof collapse due to snow load. Only real grocery store in that town.

This winter, the supply warehouse for Spenard Builders Supply in Anchorage collapsed from snow load, as they've had an unusually heavy snow-load season. When I was down there for a PET scan recently, well-established streets in nice neighborhoods over near Thai Kitchen (Best Thai food in anchorage in my opinion) and Providence Hospital's dorms had about 1-1/4 lanes open, and me in a rental praying not to come upon opposing traffic in my shiny 2022 vehicle.

Kind of embarrassing when the supply warehouse for a construction store caves in.

The winter of 1989, after the infamous Exxon Valdez spill in the Prince William Sound, Val;dez got over 50-ft. of snow.

When we lived there, in mid-winter, most winters, the streets looked like tunnels someone had removed the tippy top from a tunnel. Same for driveways, and driveways were done with front-end loaders. Just like the streets. But they had big money there, with it being the terminus for the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline, thus they scooped up revenues like netting smelt.
I remember driving through Valdez the summer of 1968 and the town was still deserted and much as it was after the quake and tsunami of 64 with fishing boats several blocks from the water.

Think it was on that stretch of road into town we hit a hand cranked, glass jar topped, gravity fill gas station. 10 gallons at a time and the wagon took the entire 22 gallons she held. The old boy running the station was looking a mite peaked after the 3rd crank N fill. The Alcan hwy was all oiled gravel and logging trucks doing 90mph in them years.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I built a condominium (small) complex in 2000. After 16 years of being a landlord I sold out to a land development company. I couldn't take inconsiderate tennants any more. Fogey's story reminds me of what I went through. Never again!
I built commercial property and have had problems but not like residential tenants...I can evict commercial but not residential folks...they seem to have more rights that the owners do...

moose eater

I remember driving through Valdez the summer of 1968 and the town was still much as it was after the quake and tsunami of 64 with fishing boats several blocks from the water.

Think it was on that stretch of road into town we hit a hand cranked, glass jar topped, gravity fill gas station. 10 gallons at a time and the wagon took the entire 22 gallons she held. The old boy running the station was looking a mite peaked after the 3rd crank N fill. The Alcan hwy was all oiled gravel and logging trucks doing 90mph in them years.
That's what came to be known as 'Old Town', and there's still a barge or 2 and other items/boats that were deposited on land in that quake.

The ground/topography down by Portage and Girdwood sank an estimated 12' ft in elevation during that quake, turning the forest along that shoreline into dead trees with muskeg and creeks there. Impressive to look at to this day, though the handful of buildings that were out among the sunken ground are even more withered and rotting with each passing year, it now being nearly 60 years since that 'reprimand by nature.'

moose eater

I remember driving through Valdez the summer of 1968 and the town was still deserted and much as it was after the quake and tsunami of 64 with fishing boats several blocks from the water.

When the Alcan was a calcium-phosphate based dirt and gravel, the curves were much better banked in most (not all) places, and we could shoot the curves at higher rates of speed, like on the banked curves of a racetrack.

Edit: But there were also a LOT more radical curves then, remaining from the WWII build, when many switch-back curves were put into place as much for protection from aircraft strafing as for the topography.
There's many curves that were there even in the mid-1970s that aren't there anymore. Many.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We briefly hunted and ice fished with some crazy multi-generational gun-toting hippie Alaskans who were commercial salmon fishermen.

Their now-adult son would do long jumps on snowmobiles with his friends that would've competed well with Evil Knievel, and incurred injuries they seemed to shake off that made me queasy.

I sometimes worried when we were in the bush with them, me turning them on to my out-of-the-way bush spots, and my youngest son who was then an early teen, would take off into the darkness with them to go check on this or that.

I'd talk with them about outrunning one's headlights (my son in particular) on a frozen lake in the dark, that can have ice ridges or even pits and holes left by other fishermen, and they'd roll their eyes at me.
i really think that when we're young and stupid we should have old,decrepit bodies to slow us down from doing dumb stuff and when we get older and have a speck of wisdom then we should have young,healthy bodies and gradually reverse age back to babies before we die,cared for and blissfully unaware...and titty milk!

moose eater

Is it normal for a pit bull to let full grown kittys nurse? I called Bobbi jo the other day yo bring her in an she had 3 full grown cats latched on. She has her puppies in May they are as big as she is
Mothering is mothering for some, I guess.

Might make some money on the pics, or get reported to the SPCA, depending on prudishness or narrowness among who sees the pics.

Maybe a caption of, "Can't we all just get along?"