What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
All I know is you have created a sanctuary for us like minded folks. Most importantly is is a happy place. God knows I have gone through a lot of hate to wind up here.....not gonna kiss yet azz but thank you!

if there is any arse kissing around here it will be with Irene!…

IMG_8151.jpeg

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Stupid is a stupid does. I had heard about the Silk Road, never realized the extent of it. Speaking of great extents....

I have the original news film clip from the RCMP bust on Ron, Heaven's Stairway. His op was HUGE, filling 30 orders a day, operating for 9 years. Showed a still of the old Cannabis World which we were active members of, many here in this forum too no doubt. RMCP (Royal Mounted Canadian Police) confiscated gold bars, 1,000's of seeds, computers, money orders, etc. The filmed hysterical warnings from those Canadian cops was the same kind of crap you'd hear in the States during the marijuana propaganda in the 20's and on. Man have times changed.

Love my freedom!

I converted the original news clip (asf file) into a MP4 file. Would love to share this treasure, piece of cannabis history @Gypsy Nirvana but apparently MP4 files aren't supported?

Don't remember who pioneered DMC.
Best ask the Admin explosiv if we can do MP4's - I really don't know Ben - but maybe you could put it up somewhere that does - then just link it ?

- Yup - I remember those crazy days well - and felt kinda sad that Cannabisworld and Overgrow were persecuted and prosecuted by the cop/feds - they were such fun and thriving communities - thinking that more than likely - I would be next - but not till 2013 did they come after me -
7 years later - and for a 5 year period after that my whole life was nearly shattered by all that legal attrition and incarceration - was very expensive too - mentally - physically and financially 😪 - plus I had a very young family to support thru it all - and without the strength - tenacity - loyalty and love ❤️ from my wife and others (you know who you are ) who cared about me - and supported me - my life could have easily gone tits-up -

moose eater

Nothing even compares to the deer in NW Illinois may as well be eating a cow.
I used to make sure I always had 3 deer in the freezer. After the Shoot to Retrieve got to be more like work, I settled into a couple different Spaniel breeds.
I had 3 Boykins, these originated in the Carolinas as slip proof retrievers in the dove and duck fields.
These all had some thing here or there wrong with them comes from being a inbred line. This breed started out as brother and sister way back when.
My last 2 spaniels were Springers, Andy passed away about 2 years ago now.
Andy was black and white, Tag is my last one he's tricolored. The straight up brown dog was Amos
In Wisconsin and Michigan, the whitetails often hang out and feed near the corn fields; corn-fed whitetail tastes VERY nice.

Up here we have arctic barley fields, and the bison herds used to decimate the crop.

Years ago the barley farmers east of Delta Junction opened their proverbial pasture gates for hunters to come take the bison. Now they charge a seemingly ever increasing access fee to get into their fields to shoot a bison.

Though bison tend to be a herd animal, so if you're fortunate to get drawn for that very competitive permit, Alaska Fish & Game will typically help in letting you know which farmers are seeing the herd on their farms, and even contact information for the farmer.

If you're drawn for a bison permit, there's now a required 'bison hunting class' that, among other issues, teaches hunters to distinguish a cow bison from a bull bison.

As stated, barley-fed bison is tasty, and the return in weight of clean meat is awesome.

Nice dogs, by the way. I'm a dog guy from decades ago.

OleReynard

As is Iowa, Illinois is probably 60% grain fields yet.
Iowa produces nice deer also.
Everything is corn and soybean fed, grasses available during spring and winter besides rummaging the fields.

I've shot most all my deer before starting of the run. A couple late season deer also.

Polk County also has huge deer

Last edited:

moose eater

Gawd luv ya, @moose eater but you are just describing Dante's different levels of Hell.

Lemme point out sumpin' -- You live in what is scientifically called a "hostile climate". <-- A quick proof:

If I laid down nekkid on my lawn (it's private), I could read a book, take a nap... And get up two hours later feeling refreshed in the 74F temperature.

If I laid down nekkid on where your lawn is buried, I could not read a book, take a nap. Becuz I'd be dead:

"At -30°F/-34.4°C, hypothermia can occur in about 10 minutes. Death can occur in under an hour..."

Since I have a Black Belt in Cold-Afraider-Of, l feel an honest "Wow" that you can actually look forward to mere killing-in-minutes temperatures because the KIM temps are so much less colder than where you are** right now.

**It's so fargin cold, when moosie goes to the heated barn to milk the cow, it gives him ice cream.

**Cold hard cash means something else up there; if you drop a quarter on the sidewalk, it shatters.

**Wait. I got more...

**Inna Messican Fast Food restaurants up there, they sell brrrrr-itos.
It's the same as a big Thanksgiving meal, Unca... "It's all relative(s)."

But yes, I've had hypothermia before (unknown to many, the most common temps for such are between the mid-30's f. and the lower-50's f., as it sneaks up on you when your body thinks everything's cool), especially riding my second FLHS 'glide up from Chula Vista, Ca., August of 2002 and stopping the last night on the road at White River, Yukon Territory, Canada, then, the next day, ALL the way home (a mere 350 miles), it was +49 f., and drizzling to raining the entire way home.

I stopped at every place that had a coffee pot on, including the very red-neck cafe' in Dot Lake (no longer there), where the waitress barely acknowledged my presence, let alone speaking with me.

It was when I inquired at the Dot Lake cafe' about buying a scarf of some sort, that a woman travelling by herself took me out to the trunk of her car, and cut a 'scarf' from a fleece blanket she had for emergencies, refusing any money.

By the time I got to Gold Hill Liquor and Gas, nearer my home, I borrowed the phone and rang my wife, asking her to run a tub of barely warm water, which she did.

A lot of people don't realize that if you're well-chilled, let alone frozen, that initial urge to run hot water and soak can fuck a person right up; especially if they're frost-bitten or frozen. Cells don't like the abrupt change, because they're often damaged to some degree already in freezing, then damaged again when abruptly thawing.

Froze my feet outside Winnipeg, Manitoba @ -40 f. in the wee hours of the middle of the night, on the by-pass, wearing poorly insulated rubber boots with wool socks, hitchhiking back up to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada to the Hippie School, January '78, after having hitched down to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, to the farm, for Christmas.

Anybody that repeats the old (incorrect) folk wisdom about freezing to death being painless, has never truly been frozen.

It might be painless once you're truly frozen and your cognition has gone to hell, but getting there feels like walking on hot, lit coals. I screamed into the night like I was tormented by ghosts. It hurt bad.

Last edited:

moose eater

After spending the first 30 years of my life in Chicago and Georgia, I was so happy to finally move to Florida. I got frostbite from the blizzard of 79 on my fingers n toes and now when I’m cold 🥶 they hurt bad. If I had my way I would be in Florida right now and never be cold again. CL🍀
There's a reason one runs into so many 'former Alaskans' in Arizona and Hawaii.

I just figure, A.) I can't afford to change our location at the moment, and, B.) If I tried to live anywhere else the way I've lived here, they'd probably end up putting me in prison. :)

buzzmobile

Veteran
Good idea! Thanks, I'll check it out!

We save a lot avoiding turnover costs by carefully selecting tenants, keeping the rent reasonable, and taking care of them, so that they stay and continue to pay the rent on time.

Our longest-term renter has been there over 40 years and the previous tenants at this location was there 18 years when they lost their jobs during Covid and moved back in with their parents.
You are an excellent landlord.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's a reason one runs into so many 'former Alaskans' in Arizona and Hawaii.

I just figure, A.) I can't afford to change our location at the moment, and, B.) If I tried to live anywhere else the way I've lived here, they'd probably end up putting me in prison. :)
yup,my last winter in homer convinced me that i friggin hate snow...something to do with finding myself on the roof of a two story house frantically shoveling snow off at 2am because the whole house was groaning from the weight of snow during a 3+ foot storm...11 feet of snow that winter...
i prefer wearing shorts all winter....summer can suck here but there's green chile which mostly makes up for it

oldfogey8

Good idea! Thanks, I'll check it out!

We save a lot avoiding turnover costs by carefully selecting tenants, keeping the rent reasonable, and taking care of them, so that they stay and continue to pay the rent on time.

Our longest-term renter has been there over 40 years and the previous tenants at this location was there 18 years when they lost their jobs during Covid and moved back in with their parents.
I bought a 4 family in Worcester about 20 years ago. I tried to be a great landlord. I was always there within a half hour of them calling. Made sure everything was right before I left. As time went on, the figured out I was at their beck and call sand started to abuse my kindness. I’d get calls at all hours for stupid sh!T like clogged toilets, damaged cupboards and fights with other tenants. The final straw for me was a call for a clogged toilet. The tenant said it wouldn’t flush. I told him I would be there shortly and to make sure nobody used it. 15 minutes later the tenant greeted me at the for and with a smirk said his friend had to take a dump and couldn’t wait. So I had to snake out a nasty toilet. My snake got stuck on something solid. It would up being stuck and as I pulled on it, the toilet started to buzz. I asked him if something could have fallen in. He laughed and ‘remembered’ his beard clipper was missing. I was pissed. My snake was damaged and I had shit water on me. I called a plumber and had the toilet replaced then called a property management company the next day. For $200/month, I had no more headaches. Tenants were pissed and called for a couple of months complaining about the management company. Oh well…

moose eater

Chiro appt this morning, had my neck in traction.
Looks like I'm on my way to therapy for a couple months
My mother was a nurse and headed a claims department for a major insurance company, back before they were the vultures they are today. She did that job for $2.35/hour as a single mother.

She routinely told us to never go to a chiropractor. Some of them are decent, none of them are typically doctors, and the maneuvers they do sometimes can literally kill you.

jokerman

Premium user
A 0.5 out of a maximum 10 points on the pain scale is hardly noticeable Patwillie - it's a great feeling to be virtually pain free - after months/years of the score being much higher - and that affecting my mobility and emotions - and so my relationships with others - after all - who really wants to be a grumpy old bastid?
It has its benefits..

moose eater

yup,my last winter in homer convinced me that i friggin hate snow...something to do with finding myself on the roof of a two story house frantically shoveling snow off at 2am because the whole house was groaning from the weight of snow during a 3+ foot storm...11 feet of snow that winter...
i prefer wearing shorts all winter....summer can suck here but there's green chile which mostly makes up for it
A couple winters ago the IGA in Delta Junction had their roof collapse due to snow load. Only real grocery store in that town.

This winter, the supply warehouse for Spenard Builders Supply in Anchorage collapsed from snow load, as they've had an unusually heavy snow-load season. When I was down there for a PET scan recently, well-established streets in nice neighborhoods over near Thai Kitchen (Best Thai food in anchorage in my opinion) and Providence Hospital's dorms had about 1-1/4 lanes open, and me in a rental praying not to come upon opposing traffic in my shiny 2022 vehicle.

Kind of embarrassing when the supply warehouse for a construction store caves in.

The winter of 1989, after the infamous Exxon Valdez spill in the Prince William Sound, Valdez got over 50-ft. of snow.

When we lived there, in mid-winter, most winters, the streets looked like tunnels someone had removed the tippy top from a tunnel. Same for driveways, and driveways were done with front-end loaders. Just like the streets. But they had big money there, with it being the terminus for the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline, thus they scooped up revenues like netting smelt.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user
A few things to say here...

Very much enjoyed the interview with Heavy that you did. I appreciate a good story teller, and your story (or at least the part you were able to tell) was very interesting. Thank you for that, and for all you have done for this community at large.... And for the little things that people don't know...

Now on to the important bit. . . I'm "the Kid" in here obviously, and for some reason my antics are tolerated lol...😬😆 So...my cannabis career didn't start until I was in my mid 30's... So I'm still catching up on the culture side of things. . . At risk of being booted from here or just laughed off the board... I had no idea you are *the* Gypsy Nirvana.... I obviously put it together last night... But wow. I mean in this industry (especially online) anyone can say they are anyone...Very cool to know that you're in here chatting and hanging out... Very humbling to bump into and chat with the guy who made this place a reality.

How fucking cool is that?🤯🤯🤯

I'm putting myself in time out at the kids table for giving you a hard time over autophagy.😬😅
I thought he was a retired plumber😊☝️