What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I used to tell people that I'd nearly killed as many moose with Toyotas as I have with my Winchester, but the cost analysis is prohibitive to continue on in that manner of 'hunting.'
So do you dress them out and eat them when you hit them? I would think they would taste like a horse. I’m not sure what horse tastes like but do you really eat them?

Patwillie

c1252cae73273ca9.jpeg

moose eater

So do you dress them out and eat them when you hit them? I would think they would taste like a horse. I’m not sure what horse tastes like but do you really eat them?
The State Troopers keep a roadkill salvage list, and I believe anyone can sign up to be on it.

When a roadkill occurs, they call whoever is at the top of the list and continue phoning on down the list until someone will respond. That can be at 3:00 A.M. and at -50 f in some cases.

Some folks have trailers and trucks now set up to winch the whole animal onto a surface/vehicle so they can process it out of the way/threat of highway traffic and sometimes in a warm area.

Moose are ruminants, and if they sit too long, even in the cold, they bloat, and the stomach gases get outrageously awful in stench if they wait too long, not to mention the possibility of bone soured meat.

A sufficient number of good quality cotton canvas game bags of the sort we use runs about $50 (8 or 9 bags) the last time I bought any, but we recycle them and stitch them up when necessary.

We get between 450 and 650 lbs. of clean meat from a decent sized bull.

Last edited:

moose eater

For years one of the biggest (transit) culprits for killers of moose were the Alaska Rail Road trains. When the snow's too deep or the top of the snow is crusted, they, like the rest of us, tend to seek what appears to be the path of least resistance, and they'll show up wherever they can find accessible grub, easy walking, etc. Yards, railroad tracks, etc.

moose eater

The flavor is unique to moose, and it can vary based on rutting season or not, and how they were handled, the amount of shock or stress at the time of death, etc.

I crave it, but back in the day when we routinely harvested a whole angus-cross beef to match our moose, we'd add about 15% snow-white premium local suet to our moose burger. Sometimes grind some bacon into it as well. MMmmmmm.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user
View attachment 18955358
This Tilley Hat - has stayed on my head - on V8 powered (usually old American car engines ) - Thai long-tailed boats at full tilt - and on the 500 hp speedboat - to Koh Phi-Phi - and back - you can pop the sides up - one side or the other or both - so your head has a better drag coefficient - in high winds -
View attachment 18955360
You look like my cousin Sal ! know any Sals that look like you?

moose eater

I've hit 3 thus far, and my wife 1. She's not as good of a hunter as I am, though.
We were up the Taylor Hwy, toward Chicken, Alaska, a few years ago, my wife and I.

I was trying to size up a bull and get our location so I could see if the rather nice bull was qualified for the bed of the truck.

My wife was busily waving her hands/arms, yelling to the moose to run away.

Not always the team that we are in some circumstances.

On the other hand, she's carried a ~100-lb. moose hindquarter on her shoulder with the best of them, and once even took a tumble down our front porch steps (13 of them) with a hindquarter on her shoulder.

I kept repeating over and over again in the relative darkness of a chilly fall morning, "Are you OK??!!" until she became hostile. There are some injuries where a panicked person asking you questions repeatedly just doesn't go well.

jokerman

Premium user
HEY! I wear a Tilley hat. It is great on the water (it floats).
View attachment 18955373

For those of youse who dunno/don't keer about Tilley hats... they have a guarantee that don't take no shit:

"Will it to your grandchildren. If it ever wears out for any reason, we will replace it."

They have a little folder in the top where the tell of the guy in the zoo where the fargin elephant has snatched the guy's Tilley hat off FOUR times and ate it. He got it back every time after it went through said elephant.

They asked the guy for the hat, saying they wanted it for their museum, and they would give him a brand new one that had not been digested four times...

The guy said, "Nope. I'm keeping this one."
no shit ☝️

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Continuing my genealogy search on my father's side. I found I can trace my family to a piece of land that they have owned since at least 1722. I have a document that states my 4x great grandfather was the heir to this land and perhaps to land that his deceased 1st wife was the heiress. It was in 1849 that x4 was given his nobility card and coat of arms through the Kingdom Of Poland. Sadly, the land was stolen by the Russians in 1867. Today, the land developed into a small town. As the heir apparent I wonder If I can get that land back.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
The flavor is unique to moose, and it can vary based on rutting season or not, and how they were handled, the amount of shock or stress at the time of death, etc.

I crave it, but back in the day when we routinely harvested a whole angus-cross beef to match our moose, we'd add about 15% snow-white premium local suet to our moose burger. sometimes grind some bacon into it as well. MMmmmmm.
Humm…. Stil sounds a bit gamey for me. Maybe a calf or whatever you call a baby moose would be worth a try. I grew up on venison but only liked doe meat. Momma did a good job tho killing the game taste with salt dials and the right seasoning when cooking it.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Humm…. Stil sounds a bit gamey for me. Maybe a calf or whatever you call a baby moose would be worth a try. I grew up on venison but only liked doe meat. Momma did a good job tho killing the game taste with salt dials and the right seasoning when cooking it.
Love elk.....deer is gamey. Never ate moose. If prepared properly anything is worth a try.,,well most everything.

Latest posts

Latest posts