What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Unca Walt

420club
View attachment 18955312
My favourite 😍 tropical hat 👒 is my Tilley hat - made in Canada - and garenteed for life - it has some cool ventilation holes in the sides - plus you can pop the sides up in high winds - and a little stash pocket inside it - it's a 7 and 3/4ths size - so fits me well -
HEY! I wear a Tilley hat. It is great on the water (it floats).
1707076218132.png

For those of youse who dunno/don't keer about Tilley hats... they have a guarantee that don't take no shit:

"Will it to your grandchildren. If it ever wears out for any reason, we will replace it."

They have a little folder in the top where the tell of the guy in the zoo where the fargin elephant has snatched the guy's Tilley hat off FOUR times and ate it. He got it back every time after it went through said elephant.

They asked the guy for the hat, saying they wanted it for their museum, and they would give him a brand new one that had not been digested four times...

The guy said, "Nope. I'm keeping this one."

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
HEY! I wear a Tilley hat. It is great on the water (it floats).
View attachment 18955373

For those of youse who dunno/don't keer about Tilley hats... they have a guarantee that don't take no shit:

"Will it to your grandchildren. If it ever wears out for any reason, we will replace it."

They have a little folder in the top where the tell of the guy in the zoo where the fargin elephant has snatched the guy's Tilley hat off FOUR times and ate it. He got it back every time after it went through said elephant.

They asked the guy for the hat, saying they wanted it for their museum, and they would give him a brand new one that had not been digested four times...

The guy said, "Nope. I'm keeping this one."
<Still laughing> - and talking of funny men - here's today's Benny Hill -

Drifting13

Nope. Michael in 2018

It does not have to be a Category 5 hurricane to cause incredible damage. I think you may have overlooked the panhandle in your assessment. Ivan, Opal and Sally were Category 3 storms that did major damage. Ian, Irma and Charley came in at Category 4 wiping out homes and businesses.

I hate hurricane season. It only takes one to ruin one's day.
Only another 5 months to go...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
alright!….

busting out the portraits !

like you said earlier , ain’t it grand that most of us can come out from behind the curtain now that weed is being decriminalized around the flat earth….

my favorite old straw hat

View attachment 18955316
Is that you - lurking amongst the corn rows bigsur? - in a fine hat - to protect you from the sun 🌞 - shine on man -

moose eater

A former friend in the bush's greenhouse about 5-1/2 years ago, crosses of the original Super Lemon Haze and Bodhi's Terpenado; 'Lemonado'

Lemonado Outdoor Summer 2018.jpg

My walk-in fish smoker.

The walk in fish smoker.JPG

My walk-in fish smoker partly filled with Copper River sockeye/red salmon, glazed or glazing and preparing to smoke.

Sockeye salmon in the smoker.JPG

I was trying to find an old pic from my side/profile, of me perched precariously on some mostly vertical rocks above what was a -really- hot dip-netting hole on the Copper River. Smaller rocks driven into fissures in the vertical rocks to apply limited pressure in not-quite-standing, to brace myself, while tied off and wearing a life jacket. I would net a fish or 2 at once, then thump them lightly and throw them to my daughter who was to my left in a more stable position, after which she would pummel them with a fish club, clip the tails (a matter of law for dip-netted fish) and put them on stringers of 5-6 per stringer (50 to 60-lbs. stringers at times. sometimes a bit less). Maybe I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
A former friend in the bush's greenhouse about 5-1/2 years ago, crosses of the original Super Lemon Haze and Bodhi's Terpenado; 'Lemonado'

View attachment 18955388

My walk-in fish smoker.

View attachment 18955399

My walk-in fish smoker partly filled with Copper River sockeye/red salmon, glazed or glazing and preparing to smoke.

View attachment 18955400

I was trying to find an old pic from my side/profile, of me perched precariously on some mostly vertical rocks above what was a -really- hot dip-netting hole on the Copper River. Smaller rocks driven into fissures in the vertical rocks to apply limited pressure in not-quite-standing, to brace myself, while tied off and wearing a life jacket. I would net a fish or 2 at once, then thump them lightly and throw them to my daughter who was to my left, after which she would pummel them with a fish club, clip the tails (a matter of law for dis-netted fish) and put them on stringers of 5-6 at a time (50 to 60-lbs. stringers at times. sometimes a bit less). Maybe I'll keep looking.
Mmmm! - loves ❤️ me some smoked salmon - and started to go green 💚 with envy - but the little gremlin on my shoulder - got shut down pronto - by the angel 😇 on the other side -

Oh how wonderful it would be - to just go out and catch enough fish protein to last me for a year - you lucky man you -

moose eater

Mmmm! - loves ❤️ me some smoked salmon - and started to go green 💚 with envy - but the little gremlin on my shoulder - got shut down pronto - by the angel 😇 on the other side -

Oh how wonderful it would be - to just go out and catch enough fish protein to last me for a year - you lucky man you -
We used to dip-net both the Kenai River and the Copper River on personal use permits, from which we'd get close to or over 100 salmon total when there were 5 of us in the house.

I quit netting the Kenai River as they have far less oil in them (due to the shortness of their journey upriver in that spot), there's slower current there, so less filtration per cubic ft. of water. and the biologists were coming up each summer with nasty human-generated bacteria in the river, from a variety of rude or ignorant behavior that only folks lacking knowledge or concern engage in. Shitting or such in too close of proximity to the water line.

Once upon a time I'd have 40-60 fillets of alder-smoked sockeye in the freezers at any given time. Break that up or cut it into small bits, then add some cream cheese, a bit of sour cream, chopped green onions, a dash of Worcestershire Sauce, some garlic, etc., and then all you needed was a vehicle like a piece of baguette or a bagel to deliver it to your mouth. AMAZING stuff.

moose eater

Boy could I have fun there.....

dscn0405-jpg.18955406
People kayak or boat through there routinely.

The headwaters for the Yukon River are technically Marsh Lake, about 35 miles south (SE) of Whitehorse on the Alaska Hwy. 45 years ago the pavement coming south out of Whitehorse ended there.

If I recall, back when Canada was a formal party to the Commonwealth, the Queen was visiting Whitehorse, and they paved 11 miles NNW and 35 miles SSE for the occasion. Not sure of the accuracy of that story, but that's what I recall being told way back then.

moose eater

Probably 23-24 years ago, after my wife hit a yearling moose near our property, and imploded the windshield in doing so, plus one wrinkled headlight trim, and a hoof print/dent in the top on the side of the car.

My oldest son had been riding shotgun and had just found a used full-face helmet at the reuse area of the transfer station for the dumpsters and reflexively raised it to guard his face when they hit, covering himself from the limited shards of safety glass.

The car survived the 'moose contact' better than my 2 trucks have. Lower to the ground, sweeping their legs out from under them, then up and over they went, dropping down off the back end of the 4x4 wagon.

Preparing to drive in at -30 f.. to have the windshield replaced.

Pulling up to stop lights in town on my way to the glass shop, and waving to people in this manner was a 'hoot'.

edit: The Trooper who attended to the crippled moose was later busted for having sex with a 15- or 16-year-old girl, the daughter of friends of his.

DSCN1959.JPG

DSCN1953.JPG

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
That looks like it would be a great fishing hat...
Ya - stick a few well tied flies in it - and I could pretend that my one and only excursion into fly fishing - on the River Nevern in Pembrokshire Wales was a success 🙌 - when in reality - it was a dismal failure -
Apparently I'm great at casting for trees 🌳 - and often had me tackle up one -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Probably 23-24 years ago, after my wife hit a yearling moose near our property, and imploded the windshield in doing so, plus one wrinkled headlight trim, and a hoof print/dent in the top on the side of the car.

My oldest son had been riding shotgun and had just found a used full-face helmet at the reuse area of the transfer station for the dumpsters and reflexively raised it to guard his face when they hit, covering himself from the limited shards of safety glass.

The car survived the 'moose contact' better than my 2 trucks have. Lower to the ground, sweeping their legs out from under them, then up and over they went, dropping down off the back end of the 4x4 wagon.

Preparing to drive in at -30 f.. to have the windshield replaced.

Pulling up to stop lights in town on my way to the glass shop, and waving to people in this manner was a 'hoot'.

edit: The Trooper who attended to the crippled moose was later busted for having sex with a 15- or 16-year-old girl, the daughter of friends of his.

View attachment 18955417
If I was a moose 🫎 or a salmon - I'd stay the fug away from you and your Mrs mate 👍 😉

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club

View attachment 18955388

My walk-in fish smoker.

View attachment 18955399

View attachment 18955400

I was trying to find an old pic from my side/profile, of me perched precariously on some mostly vertical rocks above what was a -really- hot dip-netting hole on the Copper River. Smaller rocks driven into fissures in the vertical rocks to apply limited pressure in not-quite-standing, to brace myself, while tied off and wearing a life jacket. I would net a fish or 2 at once, then thump them lightly and throw them to my daughter who was to my left in a more stable position, after which she would pummel them with a fish club, clip the tails (a matter of law for dip-netted fish) and put them on stringers of 5-6 per stringer (50 to 60-lbs. stringers at times. sometimes a bit less). Maybe I'll keep looking.

that is a super nice fish smoker!…

reminds me of the work shed we had up in the Rockies 10,000’….

IMG_0668.jpeg

yep , that is me in the corn , a strandivar called Bloody Butcher corn , it was a preservation project and I still have some of those seeds from about 10 years ago…

here is me and Swede in the bushes anout 4 years ago or so….

how do you like that Santa Marta Gold behind us?……

IMG_5365.jpeg