What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

moose eater

@moose eater The weight of a black powder rifle bullet is huge compared to modern bullets.

My Big Boar oink-hunting .58 caliber BP rifle shoots conicals that weigh 555gr. Here is a knockdown power comparison.

Each of these bullets were taken from deer. 30.06 vs .58 And yup the monster slug wound up just about an inch across!

If you lookit the perfectly mushroomed conical, you can easily imagine the shock it had to deliver to get that misshapen.

View attachment 18955138

That sucker kills, skins, and cooks with one shot.
Yep, Alaska has moose hunts with black powder firearms. The hunter has to be previously certified in the use of black powder guns in order to better understand trajectory, etc., but they're very effective once a person has an understanding of the ability and inability.

The difference between being hit with a brick or pierced with a needle.

jokerman

Premium user

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Good late morning folks. I took a gummy last night and it was the biggest gummy I’ve ever seen. It was 500 mg of knock you out and boy did it ever… Two hours from when I take it, the lights go out and there’s no discussion about that. I have to eat them in four different bites because of the size but they do work.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
You know I don't ask for much.
Can you get me a cup of coffee while you think of a question?

IMG_5804.jpeg

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Good late morning folks. I took a gummy last night and it was the biggest gummy I’ve ever seen. It was 500 mg of knock you out and boy did it ever… Two hours from when I take it, the lights go out and there’s no discussion about that. I have to eat them in four different bites because of the size but they do work.
Did you get the sleeping munchies? - having to wake up ever 2-3 hours to snack?

moose eater

We're now down to -24 f. on the front porch's thermometer, but a few minutes ago we were at -22 f. and the airport was -42 f. We finally received the benefits of an inversion that more or less used to live here in the wintertime.

What a break to finally be warmer than town, and by a measurable spread.

I'm betting in this last 2-weeks of cold weather I've burned 65-70-gallons of #1 heating fuel oil. (*Changed the initial 80 after some thought).

I still have another 110-US-gallons of the stuff to transfer, waiting in drums in the barn, to brace the tank a bit, and make it closer to full again, but I try not to transfer fuel oil when it's too cold.

I see another fuel oil run to town in our near future, so as to keep the tank closer to full. This will be the first run this year that I have to use the snowmobile(s) and freight sled for.