What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

oldfogey8

On another note what's a fair price to charge for rooted cuts shipped?
I have no idea what would be right there.
Seeds seem easy to price at $0.25 cents each with a $25 minimum.
I am just wondering out loud not making an offer as the wife is asking.
My BIL in western NY paid $50(WTF!) for a 12” tall plant at a reservation dispensary near his house. I’d sent him a bunch of seeds but he has a brown thumb and couldn’t figure out how to pop them(and didn’t ask for help). It was his first grow and he grew it on his back deck. Did alright too. I think he felt it was a good investment. But $50? Yikes!

oldfogey8

It's the 'Murcan way!!

Like when I spend hundreds of dollars and they tell me how much I saved(??!!), with the underlying assumption that I'd have spent the money in the first place.

They clearly own a different calculator than I do.
My wife likes to say she got this or that for ‘half nuthin’. It is usually a lot more than nuthin’ but she doesn’t but my balls about what I buy so I return the favor.

moose eater

My wife likes to say she got this or that for ‘half nuthin’. It is usually a lot more than nuthin’ but she doesn’t but my balls about what I buy so I return the favor.
When I bought my first Harley, a '92 FLHS, all my wife wanted was a new $1,500 Kirby vacuum with all of the attachments.

"I think I'll keep her..." (The old Geritol commercial line).

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View attachment 18954465
In honor of the most misunderstood Ninja Turtle ,Michelangelo

28226.jpg

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
My BIL in western NY paid $50(WTF!) for a 12” tall plant at a reservation dispensary near his house. I’d sent him a bunch of seeds but he has a brown thumb and couldn’t figure out how to pop them(and didn’t ask for help). It was his first grow and he grew it on his back deck. Did alright too. I think he felt it was a good investment. But $50? Yikes!
When they were selling clones in the grow shop in Va beach last year, they were asking 50.00. They were about 12” tall

we had a community yard sale last year and a guy was selling them for 20.00.

a guy in his 80s grew them. That was pretty cool. Girl Scout cookies. He was so cute 🥰

moose eater

Looking through fishing catalogue at the forceps (w/locking fine-toothed opposing teeth to hold them closed), I recall them being commonly used in the 70s and early 80s as roach clips.

Now even the sporting goods stores are selling paraphernalia, I guess.

1706915427283.png

Edit: Boo is correct, hemostats, not forceps.

Last edited:

moose eater

I found a pair of hummus that’s buried in one of my drawers the other day and I used it. It felt strange holding one that I used to hold back in the 70s.
I was loading up tuna cans with roaches, with the cans converted into make-shift bush and military-style ashtrays and thought about having been so wealthy in weed for the last bunch of decades that collecting roaches wasn't a thing anymore.

But then thought about the number of times recently that the roaches are discovered to be uncomfortably short at the end of the day, and when I thought I was turning in to go to bed, instead having to go to the table and twist another doobie.

So, the other day when my wife was handling a roach that looked like the use of it might require Band-Aids and ointment after the fact, I said in my unnecessarily indignant and authoritative/directive voice, "You know, I have roach clips..." (Funny how our own errors in judgment look so much worse when others do them.. :) )

Got out three heirloom, near-antique roach clips, ranging from a mere alligator clip to the classic early-70s hippie-dippy, wound metal and parallel 'tongs' with the sliding bead (less functional but neat design), and lastly, my favorite, the one that looks like a realistic house door lock key, but has a spring at the head of the key, and when the head of the key is pinched, the leading 'cut' area of the key that would fit inside the lock opens up and is held closed by a spring that's located discreetly in the head of the key.

I figure I'm now wasting less weed, and having to roll fewer joints late at night.

My wife replied, "You know, you can also stick those roaches into the pipe, right?"

She's always so practical.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Differentials and transfer cases are some of the few jobs I buy Amsoil 75w-90 for.

I often only change such fluids every 15,000 to 30,000 miles unless there's been a serious hauling job that causes unusual wear and tear, so on those components I spring for the more expensive Amsoil.
My truck is an 09 and it has 125,000 miles on it. My whole life in the car business I know exactly the maintenance schedule to get at least 250,000 out of it. Only thing is the flat rate labor was $7/hr in1970 to $95/hr when I sold my share of the Nissan store in 2010 to $180/hr today. It costs a lot to keep up on everything now days.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
My truck is an 09 and it has 125,000 miles on it. My whole life in the car business I know exactly the maintenance schedule to get at least 250,000 out of it. Only thing is the flat rate labor was $7/hr in1970 to $95/hr when I sold my share of the Nissan store in 2010 to $180/hr today. It costs a lot to keep up on everything now days.
That’s one reason why I’ve got my own shop in my own hydraulic floor lift. You can’t have mechanical work done in a service facility for less than 150 bucks an hour which is Ludacris. The mechanics only get $30 an hour and the rest goes to the fat cat that owns the building… I’ve got all the tools and all the equipment, but my body seems to be failing me when it comes to doing heavy mechanical work…

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
That’s one reason why I’ve got my own shop in my own hydraulic floor lift. You can’t have mechanical work done in a service facility for less than 150 bucks an hour which is Ludacris. The mechanics only get $30 an hour and the rest goes to the fat cat that owns the building… I’ve got all the tools and all the equipment, but my body seems to be failing me when it comes to doing heavy mechanical work…
Only problem.....you know what you are doing, have the tools and facility. I don't...

moose eater

I've got several well-maintained vehicles with high-mileage here, and my 2003 Toyota Tundra with a 4.7 liter V-8 has about 220,000 on it, and the exhaust smells like a new truck when started cold.

I do the timing belt, radiator hoses, thermostat, cam seals and crank seal every 60,000+ miles (Toyota specs 90,000 but my best mechanic of all time was exclusively a Toyota and Subaru guy and he was finding checking in the timing belts at the speced 90,000).

I do the water pump and sometimes the oil pump at every 120,000.

All of the sealed wheel bearings on the Tundra are original, never been changed, and still tight.

The RAV4 has 230,000 miles and runs exceptionally well. Has a new catalytic converter, new rear trailing arms and adjustment rods in the rear, as well as sealed rear wheel bearing and hub assemblies, 2 of the 4 cat sensors replaced, a new alternator and a new fuel fill tube and related components.

I had 267,000 on my 1992 DX Extra Cab pick-up with their infamous 22RE 4-cylinder in it when I sold it. The only brand spanking new vehicle I ever bought.

I avoid contributing to the landfill as much as I can.

And with a new diesel Ford F-350 crew-cab, short-bed with bells and whistles running upwards of $100,000, I know one thing for sure; I'll never own one.

Last edited:

moose eater

Mrs Pute has a 02 Altima. Only has 53,000 on it. Hope I never have to get another car again.
Several purchases or jobs around here after which I considered "That's the last time I'll have to do that."

We put in a large, custom-designed septic field 3 years ago, and I figured I'll be buried next to it by the time it needs replaced. Hopefully the guy on the hoe when that time comes avoids my special place.

moose eater

My nemesis is my wife's Honda; Honda seems to design stuff in such a way as to force consumers to use a pro shop.

I need to articulate my arm over her front CV to spin on a new oil filter, while lying in the dirt or snow, and making my arm and wrist bend in ways that aren't natural, all the while not being able to clearly see the threads I'm aiming for.

Honda's engineers are both genius and crafty, and they typically build a great product, but their sensitivity to those who do their own maintenance sucks.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Agreed, I’ve never had anything with a Honda name on it. That didn’t outperform anything in its class. I won’t use a four cycle motor on a piece of equipment unless it’s Honda. I refuse to work on metric cars because I just don’t bend that way…. It’s quite disheartening when you work on a Harley Davidson and realize that you have to get your metric tools out…

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
My nemesis is my wife's Honda; Honda seems to design stuff in such a way as to force consumers to use a pro shop.

I need to articulate my arm over her front CV to spin on a new oil filter, while lying in the dirt or snow, and making my arm and wrist bend in ways that aren't natural, all the while not being able to clearly see the threads I'm aiming for.

Honda's engineers are both genius and crafty, and they typically build a great product, but their sensitivity to those who do their own maintenance sucks.
They all do that. Some are are better than others. Now computers diagnose most problems .....each manufacturer has its own system and most independents can't afford them. So you have to send it to the dealership.

moose eater

Agreed, I’ve never had anything with a Honda name on it. That didn’t outperform anything in its class. I won’t use a four cycle motor on a piece of equipment unless it’s Honda. I refuse to work on metric cars because I just don’t bend that way…. It’s quite disheartening when you work on a Harley Davidson and realize that you have to get your metric tools out…
To top it off, the Honda's got a transverse motor in it, too. So everything is sideways.

But I've got a well-used track-drive 928 Honda snowblower that, while it's had some relatively minor issues since I bought it used from a shop that had taken it in from a guy who'd abused it, then repaired it and sold it to me. It has worked like a slave here.

But Honda rarely builds smaller equipment that appreciates temps much below +20 f., so there are tricks we do with (for example) my portable Honda 2000 and 2200 watt generators, like disconnecting the breather tube on the motor when running in the cold to keep them from puking up oil, and for GOD'S sake, never put too much Iso-Heet in the fuel. THEY HATE THAT!!

Latest posts

Latest posts