What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Do tell. What's your favorite go to from your experience?
I use a 510 Ecig mod based unit called a Modpod stempod.
Quite a few variations of the 510's by a few different makers in a variety of materials.
However its the ability to make my own coils that makes it the chosen one for me.
Noting to ever really break I can't fix and I can custom tune the experience exactly how I want it.
10 k? How many HID lights are you running?
8,000 in flower 800 in veg all hps.
Tried the others hps is better.
I think for large scale growing for sale, you are spot on. For someone growing for personal use or, like me, just for the joy of growing(where yield is secondary or even tertiary), the heat generated by HID lights is a real problem. In the winter, HID would be a good synergistic option but for the rest of the year, I would need to run an AC unit in my basement(where my tent is). I’ve seen great flowers grown with even mid-grade LED’s but HID grown buds appear to be consistently beautiful. This observation coming from a guy currently using T5’s😁
I reckon I am too stoopid to grasp the inate advantages everyone keeps insisting led provides cuz the maffs says different.
Not even getting into the quality can yet..........

jokerman

Premium user
Oh, yer spot on. But I am talking about the human race being intelligent. Within that race, you have brilliance, mediocrity, and dumb-asses.

But alla them piled together creates a "thing" that has the power to destroy itself. <-- Where we are right now.

WWIII is horribly close. Why? I'm not pissed off enough at anybody (at the moment) in the whole world to shoot them.

Doesn't matter. The whole world may very well shoot at me at any time including the minute you take to read this... and Intelligence is the ONLY thing that made it highly possible.

Swans mate for life. Dolphins play. Dogs and cats love their young. What have they done to the Apex Predator Race? They will die, too.
We as a whole are not that bright and it is so sad
now we are getting dummed down every minute.

BubbasPlace

Quite a few variations of the 510's by a few different makers in a variety of materials.
However its the ability to make my own coils that makes it the chosen one for me.
Noting to ever really break I can't fix and I can custom tune the experience exactly how I want it.

I reckon I am too stoopid to grasp the inate advantages everyone keeps insisting led provides cuz the maffs says different.
8000 lights? If I had your weather I would still run HPS.

OleReynard

I think for large scale growing for sale, you are spot on. For someone growing for personal use or, like me, just for the joy of growing(where yield is secondary or even tertiary), the heat generated by HID lights is a real problem. In the winter, HID would be a good synergistic option but for the rest of the year, I would need to run an AC unit in my basement(where my tent is). I’ve seen great flowers grown with even mid-grade LED’s but HID grown buds appear to be consistently beautiful. This observation coming from a guy currently using T5’s😁
Exactly why I use air cooled hoods and only grow from Sept to early may

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Good dinner with the neighbors last night. Both couples are older than us. We talked about all of our aches and pains a!ong with neighborhood gossip.

We have been doing this once a month and have been for some time now. NONE of them smoke or drink.

In order to get prepared for this I smoke a bowl and have a stiff one before.

Old Uncle Ben

Brownies get me in trouble! One, time goes by, nothing. Let's try another. 1 hour later and ZOOM..... Saw an INCREDIBLE Led Zeppelin concert in 1969. We ate a brownie, smoked a joint and "rolled" into our seats. Was one of the most WOW concerts I've been to. Cream was unreal too, we went to that one straight. Then there was Hendrix....... All in Houston Texas.

Good mornin' ya old farts! 2 weeks of 12/12 and out of 9 seedlings 3 have sexed male. Gonna be one tight garden, ugg! I have a beautiful male, an Amsterdam oldie, 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90, that I'm going to cross to a Kwik Seeds pure afghani lady that came from N. Afghanistan. https://kwikseeds.com/product/afghan-mix-landrace-strain-cannabis-seeds/

Jan 25 afghani.jpg

There's so many posts here I can't keep up. Oh well.

oldfogey8

In my case, it is heat. LED’s also supposedly have a 50,000 hour lifetime but I bet they decrease in intensity over that 50,000 hours. I wish I could use HID but I can’t justify the AC in my basement. As I said, I just grow for the fun of it. You are obviously not stupid. This isn’t a job where stupid people last very long before giving up and buying from a dispensary or someone like you who knows how to grow.

Rgd

Veteran
Well its only gonna cost me a little over $10,000 us to switch from hid to led.
Only to be using 20% less draw from the wall.
The maffs says its as stoopid as stoopid gets without the loss of production that is expected.
Including the expected loss of roughly 25% in production I am struggling to see any advantage in any area of the grow.

All I see is a large expense up front with no way to make up the deficit.
If I use less elec to produce less product how the fuck is that iproving?
Struggling here.
should be at least 40% less draw..jungle boys are doing 5x5 with 400w..[bet they’s pricy]

they said they got more yield..

10k? you know there’s alot of cheaper good ones

..that or you have a shitload of lights to buy

advantages are less heat ..and should be way less electricity..

other than that your mileage may vary

oldfogey8

Brownies get me in trouble! One, time goes by, nothing. Let's try another. 1 hour later and ZOOM..... Saw an INCREDIBLE Led Zeppelin concert in 1969. We ate a brownie, smoked a joint and "rolled" into our seats. Was one of the most WOW concerts I've been to. Cream was unreal too, we went to that one straight. Then there was Hendrix....... All in Houston Texas.

Good mornin' ya old farts! 2 weeks of 12/12 and out of 9 seedlings 3 have sexed male. Gonna be one tight garden, ugg! I have a beautiful male, an Amsterdam oldie, 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90, that I'm going to cross to a Kwik Seeds pure afghani lady that came from N. Afghanistan. https://kwikseeds.com/product/afghan-mix-landrace-strain-cannabis-seeds/

View attachment 18953786

There's so many posts here I can't keep up. Oh well.
My first brownie experience was similar. My buddy and I just tossed ground up bud into brownie batter. We each ate one. A half hour later, nothing. Ate another. A half hour later, still nothing. Disappointed that we had wasted a quarter ounce, we ate another. About a half hour later, we looked at each other and burst out laughing so hard we almost couldn’t breath. Walked to a Dead show at the Rochester War Memorial and it was one of the best shows I remember.

Old Uncle Ben

In my case, it is heat. LED’s also supposedly have a 50,000 hour lifetime but I bet they decrease in intensity over that 50,000 hours. I wish I could use HID but I can’t justify the AC in my basement. As I said, I just grow for the fun of it. You are obviously not stupid. This isn’t a job where stupid people last very long before giving up and buying from a dispensary or someone like you who knows how to grow.

Heat - that's the beauty of my ViparSpectra LED - has a separate driver with about a 15' cable. Right now it's in the garden for the heat which is pretty low compared to a HID ballast. I try to get a good 20F day/temp differential. It's the little tweeks that will make or break you, which reminds me.....

If any of you guys have been following my posts in the Nutrients and Fertilizer forum you've probably noticed how much I've been recommending folks NOT use "bloom foods". Contrary to the paradigms as hawked by the cannabis vendors, foods that are low or non existent in N and very high in P and/or K ARE NOT blooming stimulants, those that use them have some really shitty looking plants. Hormones are stimulants. No offense to those who are still of this mindset but why folks can't get this into their thick head is beyond me.

.....and with every new crop of newbies.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
I have a niece that is gender something I’m not sure she/he tried to explain it to me but I had not interest to learn especially after she/he told me how she was to be treated in my house and what pronouns are acceptable. My brother and his wife have always allowed gender flexibility in their house I guess and have several “unusual friends“ from the list of @oldfogey8 wifes choices. So there is that. She is in some kind of program to change over don’t ask me details as I don’t understand any of it nor really have ambition to want to learn but she’s taking hormones that made her voice deep.
a different world for sure. I’m staying out of that part of it.

Latest posts

Latest posts