What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Celebrate.jpg

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
It's unfortunate, for the landowners that. Even if a change is made to the way the land is managed/farmed, it could take a generations before seeing any real change in the soil structure and the benefits of that that brings.

Some savvy grain farmers in our region introduced us to no till about 18 years ago - we grow a small amount of oats and lucerne for feed and only recently have we started seeing the change in the soil by way of improved moisture retention, reduced density and even an increase in the number of earthworms. It will continue to improve with time

glad to see responsible and opened minded farmers willing to change for the good…

don’t get me wrong , there is a movement out here in eastern Colorado to educate farmers about land management and it is run by some younger college grad kids who have a passion to sustainable farming…

there has been some very educational speakers over the years

The Colorado Conservation Tillage Association has announced that the High Plains No-Till Conference will be held in Burlington, on Feb. 6-7, 2024.

The event will feature keynote speakers Nicole Masters, Don Day Jr., and Jerry Hatfield.

Masters, an independent agroecologist, author, and educator is internationally recognized as a knowledgeable and dynamic speaker on the topic of soil health.

Her team of soil coaches work alongside producers in the United States, Canada, and Australia on more than 24 million acres, and she brings to the conference her experience in vermiculture, compost tea production, and diverse multi-species systems.

The second keynote speaker for the High Plains No-Till Conference will be President and Chief Meteorologist of Day Weather, Inc., Don Day Jr.

For over 25 years, Day has provided customized broadcast weather services to over 70 radio stations across Wyoming, Colorado, and Nebraska.

For this event, he will contribute his expertise in long-range and seasonal weather forecasting as it relates to agricultural producers in the High Plains region.

Also headlining the event will be Jerry Hatfield, the retired director of the USDA-ARS National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment in Ames, Iowa.

Hatfield’s research focused on the interactions among the components of the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum and their connection to air, water, and soil quality.

His current activities focus on helping producers understand the dynamics of soil health and how it impacts production, profit, sustainability, and environmental quality.

Additionally, the two-day conference will showcase more than 40 breakout sessions presented by producers and industry experts on topics such as markets, composting, regenerative grazing, soil health economics, tax planning, and more.

A trade show, outdoor equipment display, Beer & Bull Social, and FFA Day will be included for the 2024 event as well.

“We’re looking forward to a great conference,” said CCTA Coordinator Joni Mitchek.

“This will be an excellent opportunity for producers to learn from both internationally-known speakers and High Plains producers.”

Additional details regarding the conference, registration, and sponsorship opportunities can be found online at www.HighPlainsNoTill.com.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugz all around! View attachment 18952345 View attachment 18952346

A cloudy day here, with just a peek of sunshine, starting at 47F and predicted to reach 64F.

My stomach and lower tract has been unhappy with me the last couple of days but feels OK this morning. I suspect it may have something to do with the high Ibuprofen doses that I've been taking for my hips, so I stopped taking it.

I take the ibuprofen so that I can lie on my sides without my hips hurting, but had to suffer through it last night and didn't get much quality sleep.
Careful with the NSAIDs. They work great for pain and they are rough on guts. Meloxicam made me spring a leak at the duodenum.

oldfogey8

glad to see responsible and opened minded farmers willing to change for the good…

don’t get me wrong , there is a movement out here in eastern Colorado to educate farmers about land management and it is run by some younger college grad kids who have a passion to sustainable farming…

there has been some very educational speakers over the years

The Colorado Conservation Tillage Association has announced that the High Plains No-Till Conference will be held in Burlington, on Feb. 6-7, 2024.

The event will feature keynote speakers Nicole Masters, Don Day Jr., and Jerry Hatfield.

Masters, an independent agroecologist, author, and educator is internationally recognized as a knowledgeable and dynamic speaker on the topic of soil health.

Her team of soil coaches work alongside producers in the United States, Canada, and Australia on more than 24 million acres, and she brings to the conference her experience in vermiculture, compost tea production, and diverse multi-species systems.

The second keynote speaker for the High Plains No-Till Conference will be President and Chief Meteorologist of Day Weather, Inc., Don Day Jr.

For over 25 years, Day has provided customized broadcast weather services to over 70 radio stations across Wyoming, Colorado, and Nebraska.

For this event, he will contribute his expertise in long-range and seasonal weather forecasting as it relates to agricultural producers in the High Plains region.

Also headlining the event will be Jerry Hatfield, the retired director of the USDA-ARS National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment in Ames, Iowa.

Hatfield’s research focused on the interactions among the components of the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum and their connection to air, water, and soil quality.

His current activities focus on helping producers understand the dynamics of soil health and how it impacts production, profit, sustainability, and environmental quality.

Additionally, the two-day conference will showcase more than 40 breakout sessions presented by producers and industry experts on topics such as markets, composting, regenerative grazing, soil health economics, tax planning, and more.

A trade show, outdoor equipment display, Beer & Bull Social, and FFA Day will be included for the 2024 event as well.

“We’re looking forward to a great conference,” said CCTA Coordinator Joni Mitchek.

“This will be an excellent opportunity for producers to learn from both internationally-known speakers and High Plains producers.”

Additional details regarding the conference, registration, and sponsorship opportunities can be found online at www.HighPlainsNoTill.com.
I saw the man that owns White Oak on a Joe Rogan podcast. He not only farms responsibly, he takes good care of his employees and is the largest employer in the county. There is a video of a creek running thru his land where it borders a neighboring farm after heavy rain. The water in his part of the creek is clear. The water in the neighboring part of the creek is opaque with all the run off of soil/nutrients. I think he said it took about 20 years to get the soil back to healthy soil. ☹️

OleReynard

Morning everyone balmy 40 degrees here Wednesday a chance for 50's.

I started putting up a log railing in the fall and the weather turned was lucky to get them treated.
Going out Weds to pop holes anyway maybe get a few sections up.

Gotta get to a chiro today, neck is totally out of whack. Went ice fishing last Thurs stepped down out of the shack and slipped could feel neck do the same.
A couple of 16" bass and a couple crappies 14" range.
Ice is gonna be screwed big time this week. Probably be the last to get out for this year, in February.?!

Africanna

The treble hooks that are standard are not strong enough for saltwater and they are not a good idea in a kayak. Simple to change the hooks. I had a Heddon Big Head in the bone color that was a sure thing snook catcher in SW Florida.
Trebles can be harmful to the fish too, especially when practicing catch and release. The hook-up rate of trebles is only marginally better than a single so no real advantage imo.

Latest posts

Latest posts