What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
We ran a root ball through a hammer mill and then extracted it with ethanol. Wasn't impressed enough to do it twice.

Not much goodlets in them roots but perhaps they have other beneficial ingredients. Seems they have been drinking tea for a while for different ailments. Nice read btw ✌️

Patwillie

No clue what 'mustang wine' is.

a wild native grape .. mustang grapes

maxresdefault-421872961.jpg

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Oh, a little more sandy then I imagined. I didn't take the Rockies into consideration and was just thinking about the vegetation only. Oops. I was thinking more loam, but that makes sense.

typical right here for many farmers….section after section like this

when Kansas wheat farmers get 60 bushels an acre , they are lucky to get 30 out here..

IMG_2024-01-28-153033.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

moose eater

typical right here for many farmers….section after section like this

when Kansas wheat farmers get 60 bushels an acre , they are lucky to get 30 out here..

View attachment 18952170

View attachment 18952171
Here, when we used to order up a 10 or 12-yard dump truck of 'premium potting mix' it was purported to be 70/30 peat/sand mix, though we often wondered if that was by volume or weight, 2 very different outcomes.

Years ago, there was less sand and more silt being put into it, and as described before, importing silt isn't high on my to-do list. Already have acres of it 125' deep.

So, I went to the topsoil place I've most recently used and negotiated a price for just his mechanically shredded peat/'top soil', nice and dark, often still partially frozen from the ground temp and early spring's temps,, and he came through, though he initially tried to short my local preferred driver, and that got straightened out, though my driver hates to get into that role as he'd prefer to just load, drive and deliver with less hassle that way.

So, I've found ways to get around the continuing burn in getting good dirt delivered..

I can buy straight sand at the aggregate places that also sell rock and cement to contractors.

Sun&Soil

Thanks for sharing @bigsur51 It's a foreign land to me. I've had to study it in lectures and books for ecology class and hear stories of peoples experiences, but I've never been there myself.

My travels are limited with the highlight being Alaska. The Redwoods and the West Coast are on my bucket list but I don't fly so I think that comes later on.

Your photos do a great job showing the poor soil conditions. They also do a great job capturing the beauty of big sky country.

NY has its downsides...lots of people and what comes with that...but man do we have some rich soil. It's easy to drop a seed here and leave it till the Fall. A little mending with peat moss for drainage and that is really all you need. We have alot of wetlands and if you can find where the edge of stinging nettle and jewelweed transitions into grass it's like Jack and the Beanstalk.

I love dirt!