What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Yes, i only really called to see if they could suggest a servo not made of butter. But I'm real happy he couldn't and is getting me a new one sent.
I think I'm going to like the scale side of this hobby, I loved making and painting the airfix planes as a kid.
Did you guys in the Americas have Airfix?
I have discovered though that my eyesight is pretty piss poor even with my glasses fiddling around with these 1.5mm screws, so I need one of the magnifiers with a light.

My birthday on Sunday and I have been making noise to the wife about a 1/10 scale, I hope she's done the dirty with Santa.
I'm not sure if we have Airfix or not, if we do they're usually not called that. As far as user controlled planes (not counting the hand thrown kind made from paper, bulsa wood or styrofoam), I'm only familiar with two kinds, the ones that you fly on the end of a couple of strings where you stand in one place and fly the plane in a big circle. That's more old school though and you don't see too often anymore. The other kind are RC planes that come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Anywhere from a small two wing propeller plane all the way up to fairly decent sized actual jet plane and then everything in between. I seen this one guy once who was flying a Boeing 747 type passenger jet. I'm not sure what the scale was but it was pretty big. Required two people to handle and had to be assembled to some degree on site because it was too big to easily transport whole unless you had a big truck or tailer big enough for a riding mower. Anyway that jet was pretty cool and needed a runway of some kind to get airborne but if you could film it without anything in the frame for size reference you might think it was the real full sized jet.

HempKat

Veteran
Me and my puppy sheepdog / werewolf do that, but with cashew nuts. If I give him a cashew nut, he will play with it for a good 20 minutes. Just throwing it around and pouncing and running away from it.

View attachment 19047632
With his fox and the blueberreis it was definitely catch but no release, he would gobble them down right away.

Last edited:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I'm not sure if we have Airfix or not, if we do they're usually not called that. As far as user controlled planes (not counting the hand thrown kind made from paper, bulsa wood or styrofoam), I'm only familiar with two kinds, the ones that you fly on the end of a couple of strings where you stand in one place and fly the plane in a big circle. That's more old school though and you don't see too often anymore. The other kind are RC planes that come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Anywhere from a small two wing propeller plane all the way up to fairly decent sized actual jet plane and then everything in between. I seen this one guy once who was flying a Boeing 747 type passenger jet. I'm not sure what the scale was but it was pretty big. Required two people to handle and had to be assembled to some degree on site because it was too big to easily transport whole unless you had a big truck or tailer big enough for a riding mower. Anyway that jet was pretty cool and needed a runway of some kind to get airborne but if you could film it without anything in the frame for size reference you might think it was the real full sized jet.
We had the styrofoam ones with a weight and a propellar on the nose, you could adjust the angle of the nose prop thing and it would do loop the loops.

Airfix was a kit all in bits and to scale, you had to glue it all together and paint it.

an-airfix-model-aeroplane-kit-the-classic-172-scale-spitfire-MDMTHW.jpg

My dad has got himself a drone or two, he uses them to train the falcons. I know nothing about it though as he rarely talks to me, but I think the bird gets thrown away and it flies up as high as it can go, then he sends the drone up as high as he can in the air but attached to the drone is some form of dead animal. THen releases the drone and the peregrine stoops down and gets what he's dropped.

I think.

He's had kites and balloons in the past too for that purpose. Now that'd be a fun kiddies party. 🤣

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
What's really cool is when RC planes CRASH

My dad had one. Flew it a handful of times. Hopefully he's well.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
We had the styrofoam ones with a weight and a propellar on the nose, you could adjust the angle of the nose prop thing and it would do loop the loops.

Airfix was a kit all in bits and to scale, you had to glue it all together and paint it.

My dad has got himself a drone or two, he uses them to train the falcons. I know nothing about it though as he rarely talks to me, but I think the bird gets thrown away and it flies up as high as it can go, then he sends the drone up as high as he can in the air but attached to the drone is some form of dead animal. THen releases the drone and the peregrine stoops down and gets what he's dropped.

I think.

He's had kites and balloons in the past too for that purpose. Now that'd be a fun kiddies party. 🤣
Your dad sounds awesome like a man of mystery 👍 he has falcons????

HempKat

Veteran
Never been there. Actually never been anywhere near the North East. In my business I traveled extensively. I was in a group where we shared our finical statements, Ideas and how to improve the profitability of our dealerships.

We got together 3 times a year for a long weekend. Every time we went to a different city. Mostly the west coast or Southern Florida. Sometimes we went to cold weather locations to ski. Colo and Utah as well.
Used to love San Fransisco plus it was where our National Headquarters was located. (Pleasanton) I hear now I hear it is a shit hole and not safe to go there.

Loved the North West as well. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. Don't know about Vancouver but from what I hear from Gray Wolf they are now a mess as well.

Don't understand. Denver along with those cities are now not safe and people are leaving in droves.....Why was/is this allowed. Where is this going and what is the future of these once beautiful cities?
Maryland is usually considered part of the Mid Atlantic region rather then the North East. North East is more like where Doober lives and above.

Yeah I've heard as well that San Francisco is no longer that great of a city. One of the sadder things is San Francisco used to be well known and visited often for their great restaurant scene. Now due to stupid policies involving things like bike lanes making the roads more difficult and slower to travel, many of those great restaurants have shut down. Also due to the lack of people stopping there, so have many of the surrounding stores. The other big problems with the west coast cities is homelessness. I'm not sure if that's a big issue in San Francisco but it is in other big cities. Of course with that comes desperation and that brings about a lot of petty crime. I've never been further west then Arkansas in the Lake of the Ozarks area which is a very afluent part of the state. Beautiful area but way too expensive for my blood. According to my West Coast friends the problem boils down to riddiculously high taxes which they need for the abundent amount of welfare they give out.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran

I think.

Ah okay, yeah we have those but we just call them model planes, usually sold right next to model cars on the shelves, model ships mixed in too.

Yeah drones are very popular here and they even have competitive groups where you fly the drones in, around and through various obstacles. I've never heard of anyone using them the way you Dad does but i'm not surprised that people use them that way. For the majority of people thay have difficulty controlling their drones so losing them or crashing them is not too uncommon. A bigger problem is people using them to spy on places and people that don't want to be spied on (such as women sunbathing on their property topless) and there is a problem with people flying their drones in restricted airspace such that there are a fair amount of regulations one must follow.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

Pizza on Friday, lunch meat subs on Wednesday....then there's beef ravioli with buttered bread. Chicken nuggets. Taco salad. American chop suey

I loved tinned ravioli as a kid/student/full blown adult, on real buttery bread.

We have something here called Pot Noodle and they are great on buttered bread. They got me through university, till I dropped out.

Are fish tacos a real thing? Or it it just a rude joke?

Plus your word "fanny" means something else over here.

HempKat

Veteran
I loved tinned ravioli as a kid/student/full blown adult, on real buttery bread.

We have something here called Pot Noodle and they are great on buttered bread. They got me through university, till I dropped out.

No fish tacos are real. I've never tried them myself but lots of people enjoy them and say they are better then you might expect. They too are something popular as fare in bars during happy hour, especially in coastal resort towns.

oldfogey8

Trimming again in the Cap Junky tent. These buds look pretty nice but there are some fluff left in the tent along with the lower buds that I plan to try out the bowl trimmer on. Couldn’t see putting these easy trimmers in the bud trimmer taking a chance on losing all the goodies from them. They are very sticky and pretty heavy unlike the larf left.
View attachment 19047615 View attachment 19047614 View attachment 19047616
Nice work, subbie! Looks like some wicked finger hash in your future.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran

You dropped out of college?

Latest posts

Latest posts