What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Walk done. Lights come on in 12 minutes.....

I see several have chimed in on HempKats post. Long post and I need to read it again. I do remember this.....I frankly haven't thought about living without Mrs Pute. One of us will go before the other ......inevitable. If she goes first......don't know. Depends on my health. Like Walt said when you get older your energy level isn't what it used to be.

Boo, would be a better person to ask about living without a life long mate. He lost Linda (his wife) way to early. He seems to have adjusted. Me, I don't know.....will I want to continue alone.....I can't answer that. But, I have no vision of traveling the world being a playboy.....

Today I have no real friends except Mrs Pute and my daughter. This forum is probably my best way of reaching out to friends. As stated before my family has all passed and friends......gone as well.

All the things like fishing that was my life long passion.....frankly I don't feel like it anymore. Sad......

I guess the future will be what it is gonna be and I will tackle it as it comes. I am happy and hopefully I will live out my days that way.
Okay thanks for your input, you're of course welcome to reread it and add any additonal thoughts if any but you mostly covered the information I was trying to get. As for Boo, I didn't ask Boo because he has made it known that he's been without a human partner for some time. Plus I'm not entirely clear on what his situation is as far as if any of his family are still alive or not. It was mainly you being the only family member left of your childhood family that made me pick you to be the person to ask. That's because it felt to me like when my Mother became the last member of her family was when her desire to live longer seemed to change and it was just the year before when her older sister had passed leaving her as the only one left from her family.

I'm kind of surprised to hear you say you don't feel like fishing anymore since it seems like you've talked about fishing fairly recently in the past few months I've been active in this thread. Anyway thanks again for your response.

cola

Not much going on in the grow today so I’m gonna dump my used soil and rinse the pots. Got behind on this chore….also still working on putting bathe house back in order. Oh, gotta fins a clock repair man…..
If your clock is like the older grandfather clocks, maybe give a look - see into and / or open the back and see if something may have dislodged the pendulum. Disrupting that movement might likely cause your clock to stop . :unsure:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I'm kind of surprised to hear you say you don't feel like fishing anymore since it seems like you've talked about fishing fairly recently in the past few months I've been active in this thread. Anyway thanks again for your response.

There is a lot more to that that meets the eye. I love to fish one way and one way only. You probably won't totally understand......but here goes.

I am a catch and release fly fisherman after big fish......I will fish with a nymph if the conditions are to where I can site fish. Mostly I like a 3w rod using 6x tippet using a dry fly. Which makes me a snob by most fishing standards. I will stand on the bank of a river and wait for a hatch.......I chase hatches all over the region in catch and release water.

There is no place close to the house that I can do this......the closest is and hour and a half away. But, It is crowed every day.....

Plus the mountain roads near Denver are bumper to bumper.

I have a boat and there is a lake near me.....I get out with my son in law using bait.....not my cup of tea and it bores me.

I have a trip planned in Oct to a private lake for bass....yuk but they are big so I do it.

I just realized I am ranting......so I will stop. Ya gotta do what I do to understand......dying breed.....

Probably shouldn't have posted this.

jokerman

Premium user
View attachment 19047122
We find being around life to be a positive thing.
Now the kids are all grown we have animals.
Short,intense life spans so we pack as much as we can in each day..........seems to help us.
Bubba still getting noticeably larger each couple days as is Baby.
Now in the 250# of dogchow a month club.
🤗
You may need to widen doorways😊

HempKat

Veteran
There is a lot more to that that meets the eye. I love to fish one way and one way only. You probably won't totally understand......but here goes.

I am a catch and release fly fisherman after big fish......I will fish with a nymph if the conditions are to where I can site fish. Mostly I like a 3w rod using 6x tippet using a dry fly. Which makes me a snob by most fishing standards. I will stand on the bank of a river and wait for a hatch.......I chase hatches all over the region in catch and release water.

There is no place close to the house that I can do this......the closest is and hour and a half away. But, It is crowed every day.....

I have a boat and there is a lake near me.....I get out with my son in law using bait.....not my cup of tea and it bores me.

I have a trip planned in Oct to a private lake for bass....yuk but they are big so I do it.

I just realized I am ranting......so I will stop. Ya gotta do what I do to understand......dying breed.....

I wouldn't say you were ranting and while I don't really get into fishing of any kind I feel Like I understood the bulk of what you were saying. The only thing I would say I didn't really understand was the part about how the fishing you enjoy makes you a fishing snob. Like you said though, that's mainly because I would have to do what you do to fully understand.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac

I 100% get it.
I was a snook under a bridge with very heavy cover.........95% breakoff rates.
Artificial only most people say it can't be done but the midday monster is for real.
I did it regularly got close to the record a few times and just quit in 09 for a variety of reasons.
Something I started doing as a small child.
No snook in the rockies but just as well I have plenty to do.
Maybe one more time before I die if I find myself back in St. Pete........

cola

Ok way too much reading for me. Let’s just be glad that they left the thread and get on with things. Don’t really want to go thru the argument again. Hope your day is good and everyone else’s too 🥰✌️
Thanks for the reply, SubGirl.

I had a need to communicate with OleReynard , and wanted to make sure he was aware that the hammering that happened to him was very likely not of his doing. We are all brothers and sisters here, so I did need to assure him so.

We all recognize that you are the self appointed female forum leader here, appropriately so, with a kitchen rolling pin in your hand. That being said, I do not attempt to regulate the number of words you post, nor your content. That is a controlling mechanism, that does not belong on an independent and free forum, composed of independent thinkers. That is attempting to stifle free speech. I respect what you say eminently. However, if something that I post is too long for you, or it for any reason is not to your current liking, you can always shuffle forward, and move on ..

Take The Best, And Leave The Rest. We should not be in the business of trying to control each others thoughts. (y)

oldmaninbc

At the risk of touching on a sensitive subject I would like to ask you a queston. If you don't wish to answer that's fine but there is no hidden objective to this question other then gathering inforation to apply towards my own thoughts on the human experience. I've noticed in the past few months that I've been active in this thread, that you tend to be a person who acts aggressively to maintain your health. One exasmple of that being the small growth on your nose. Many would just dismiss it, at least for now as the sort of changes that come to a person as they age that don't necessarily mean anything, such as wrinkles, sskin tags, etc. Yet upon noticing it you've started taking steps to have it removed on the chance it could be an early sign of skin cancer. I've also noticed from the stories you've told of your youth that you've led a fairly full life, have traveled, accomplished a number of things career wise and you keep pretty active in your retirement which probably goes back to aggressively maintaining your health. So my question is this, if your wife (heaven forbid) was no longer in the picture, do you think you would still be trying to extend your life as much as possible? I'm asking this based on what my Mother went thru and that you share in common something that was true for her when she stopped trying to extend her life. That thing being that she was the last of her immediate family as you have now shared is the same for you (not counting children). Things changed for my mother when she was the last of her family. She still had her three sons and the grandchildren that came from two of them and she loved all of us but when her final sibling passed (an older sister) she kind of gave up the desire to live past her age of 93. Now it probably helped her to reach that point, that she didn't have a living spouse which is something that is not true for you. That's why I'm curious if the fact that you still have your spouse keeps you holding on or still Trucking as you put it. I'm also comparing this to my own situation. I still have my brothers so that's not part of the equation for me although we aren't exactly close. I have lost my wife and since that happened I feel like something has changed in me. I have no desire to find a new partner and go thru all that a couple goes thru to learn how to love each other. I still do things to try to maintain my health as best as possible, like the heart procedure I had recently but I also feel like there is not much to hold on for and feel kind of indifferent to the idea of living longer (even though I'm only 64). I haven't done all that I would like but I've still done and seen a lot, traveled a far amount and had more experiences then many others have before they die. So I'm just curious what your thoughts are on life and death?

Now while I'm asking this specifically of Pute, because his situation is close to my what my Mother's was, this question is really open to anyone else who wants to chime in. I'm basically inquiring as to what makes people want to hold on and fight for life as they get closer to the typical end of life expectancy and I'm also interested in what it might take for those still trying to live longer to suddenly change their mind and stop trying to live longer. Also to be clear, by stop trying to live longer I'm not talking about suicide or thoughts of suicide. I'm talking about like what happened with my mother that when diagnosed with cancer, she decided to not try to fight it to postpone death or prolong life.
Hello Hempkat, ok I'll chime in.
I have what is called here in BC ,Medical Order for Scope of Treatment(MOST), it's basically my end of life wants. My MOST would specify, do not hook me up to equipment that would keep me alive if I have had a stroke, heart attack any illness that would require some one looking after me. Let me die a natural death.
It also eliminates the need for someone else to make these choices of life and death. I have seen families torn apart by people who think they know what's best for another, while another family member has a completely different outlook. They argue, they create divisions and the end of life also becomes the end of family.
For some reason one of my family members spent the last four years of their life suffering from numerous conditions that had no favorable outcomes. They suffered day after day and deteriorated until they were not recognizable as the person I knew them to be. It was not only the person with illness who was suffering but the people who had to watch the slow steady decline.

When the end of life is at hand, I will do my best to embrace it.

HempKat

Veteran
Hello Hempkat, ok I'll chime in.
I have what is called here in BC ,Medical Order for Scope of Treatment(MOST), it's basically my end of life wants. My MOST would specify, do not hook me up to equipment that would keep me alive if I have had a stroke, heart attack any illness that would require some one looking after me. Let me die a natural death.
It also eliminates the need for someone else to make these choices of life and death. I have seen families torn apart by people who think they know what's best for another, while another family member has a completely different outlook. They argue, they create divisions and the end of life also becomes the end of family.
For some reason one of my family members spent the last four years of their life suffering from numerous conditions that had no favorable outcomes. They suffered day after day and deteriorated until they were not recognizable as the person I knew them to be. It was not only the person with illness who was suffering but the people who had to watch the slow steady decline.

When the end of life is at hand, I will do my best to embrace it.
Okay, thanks for your input, we have something similar here in the US called a living will or sometimes refered to as an Advanced Directive which besically outlines what medical care one wants in the event they become unable to communicate their wants. In some cases when a person knows they'll be that incapacitated they'll give someone they trust what is called Medical Power of Attorney. That's less common though. Also as far as I know if the Living Will or Advanced Directive is done far enough in advance and it is determined that person was of sound mind, then the doctors have to go by that even if their is a family member that disagrees with it.

oldmaninbc

Okay, thanks for your input, we have something similar here in the US called a living will or sometimes refered to as an Advanced Directive which besically outlines what medical care one wants in the event they become unable to communicate their wants. In some cases when a person knows they'll be that incapacitated they'll give someone they trust what is called Medical Power of Attorney. That's less common though. Also as far as I know if the Living Will or Advanced Directive is done far enough in advance and it is determined that person was of sound mind, then the doctors have to go by that even if their is a family member that disagrees with it.
Yep, my MOST papers have to be gone over by my doctor and signed. They do their best to stay out of your choices, unless you ask them something. When I needed statistics on the outcomes of heat attacks and strokes she could give me the % numbers I needed to know. MOST has nothing to do with wills, it is strictly medical in nature. I don't want to suffer at the end of my life or hooked up to equipment that would keep me alive. I have and I am suffering already, I won't give up easily but on the other hand I won't suffer needlessly.

Each to their own.