What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

imiubu

Good day GW..both bean and pea soup are very good.
I still have a ham bone with meat in the freezer. We particularly like yellow pea soup, made they way the French Canadians do.

My first experience with tarragon(45yrs ago) was such a debacle that I still can't season with it.
I made Chicken Kiev and it was heavily flavoured with tarragon, it was way too strong, it ruined me.
Tarragon and Oregano I cannot abide by for some reason.
I will use mexican oregano upon occasion however.

imiubu

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it 🤪

Cicadas are at their most tender just out of the shell. The tough exoskeleton is not very tasty," . "Watch them climb up a tree and begin to molt from their outer shell. When they're out of their shell, gently grab the soft bodies, blanch them in boiling water for one minute, then put them into a zip-lock bag and place them in the freezer before preparing them to cook
Haha, the boys here are much more squeamish than us gals it seems :D

imiubu

here in san diego there is this mexican thing called chapuline
fried crickets in a bag and you eat it with lime and this tamarin on a tortilla
yukkkk!!
I see the bags of seasoned crickets and grasshoppers in bags near the check
out at one of our local 'mexican' stores. Seems that people like them enough
that they keep them in stock, shrug.
I love insects to watch/ study yet have no intentions of purposely eating them.
I certainly would though if that's what's available, before I'd let myself starve though.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
I see the bags of seasoned crickets and grasshoppers in bags near the check
out at one of our local 'mexican' stores. Seems that people like them enough
that they keep them in stock, shrug.
I love insects to watch/ study yet have no intentions of purposely eating them.
I certainly would though if that's what's available, before I'd let myself starve though.
ive eaten worse
i enjoy checking out all kinds of thing but like you said from a distance
i tend to get a little smooshy when bugs get too close

BrassNwood

Veteran
I’ve always liked bugs. They are so unusual and interesting
1719097553290.png

imiubu

All is well in the house today. Dutch is laying in here with me in the living room and Ivan has been laying out by the back porch door. The soup has been made and I’ll have it for dinner tonight with some toasted French baguettes with some Greyere cheese melted on top. We have some very loud thunder boomers working their way inland and I don’t think Dutch is very happy about that… With all of his training, disarming the bad guy when he was younger, you would think gunfire wouldn’t be an issue, but he wants no part of that or the thunder boomers
All of my dogs as they grew older became apprehensive of thunderstorms,
a few were down right frightened. Scooter is just now beginning to come to
mama for reassurance and she is 11. I found the best way to calm her was
to place her inside of a quilted pillow case that zips up. She is comforted by
it for some reason.

IMG_E3615.JPG

oldmaninbc

420club
Tarragon and Oregano I cannot abide by for some reason.
I will use mexican oregano upon occasion however.
Yes, herbs can have some people gagging.
When I go to the nursery to buy herbs I like to rub the plants of the different varieties and read the information, hoping to find something acceptable.

When using herbs for a recipe I usually think of it like fertilizer and only use a portion of full strength.
Like with the Chicken Kiev recipe that was over powered by tarragon, when in reality1/4 of the amount of tarragon required in the recipe would have been good by me.

I could not make spaghetti sauce without oregano. But I never use excessive amounts of herbs, just a gentle amount just so it's noticed.