Not open for further replies.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
ill have a read of it in the morning and see what it says ,
thanks for the link anyhow , im sure its an interesting read ,
factual or not .. lol ...

Dunno about the Thesis .

But some of those folks in Griffith have relatives in Calabria .
And they are 'Ndrangheta

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
We were lucky growing up in Australia we had the best cannabis and hash and Thai sticks flooding the markets.

We got lots of imported cannabis but also had a huge domestic growing market and to be honest i miss them days.

So much cannabis was grown here for the over seas markets mostly US and UK .

Ships would arrive here off load some for the domestic market then head off to the US and other markets with a clean bill meaning the ship had come from Australia and not Africa or Asia or a known drug port.

This was all exposed in a royal commission exposing corruption from the Warfs police up.

I remember my friends coming back from Europe telling me all they could smoke was hash and how they mist smoking flowers we were use to.

Purple Durban?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=197126

TheDarkStorm

Do you think the old sativas in Amsterdam were lost because the focus was about fast flowering indoor plants with the combination of poor seed storage methods

Yes hempy....most people wanted to have those strains at the time most hadnt seen(hybrids)...they wer different to wat people wer growing from import seed....easir to deal with...in most illegal situations..were as some of the seed picked from import wer difficult to grow...some would never finish or even grow buds....the pure strains wer still kept around tho....im not 100% sure but I think most of the old pure strains wer lost due to raids...an busts....the public demand for faster growing hybrid types probly didnt help.....i belive nevil sold seeds for a old columbian kept in holland...as well as the oaxacan...both ov which if I can remember correctly hed managed to seperate into separate seedlines...eg lumbo#1 lumbo#2 oaxcan #2 oaxacan#4....im sure these seedlines wer lost an some mixed up with others in raids...a problem im sure others had too...that an like you say long-term seed storage methods some were using probley didnt help

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Funny you should post Durban poison.

The only one i grew was the Dutch one still have it in storage was an ok smoke but nothing like the sativas i am use to.

A guy that in my area i would say 20 years ago in a conversation told me how Durban would flower and finish with purple flowers he had collected the seed from South Africa.

I asked him if i could get seed he changed the topic fast forward almost 20 years later i offered him some chili plants i had extra of and he out of the blue offers me Durban seeds as a swap i couldn't believe it this was last year.

He came to drop off the seeds but i was not home and he had the seed in his wallet for a week later we catch up he gives me the seed and when i finally open them up i saw most were crushed and the few remaining failed to germ lol.

I went out front yesterday and who do i see yep my mate walking up the street we exchanged pleasantrys but he was in a hurry to catch a bus.

He did say he will get me more seed but his been ill but his grown the Durban since the 70s.So the Durban purple has been in reach but still so far for me.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yes hempy....most people wanted to have those strains at the time most hadnt seen(hybrids)...they wer different to wat people wer growing from import seed....easir to deal with...in most illegal situations..were as some of the seed picked from import wer difficult to grow...some would never finish or even grow buds....the pure strains wer still kept around tho....im not 100% sure but I think most of the old pure strains wer lost due to raids...an busts....the public demand for faster growing hybrid types probly didnt help.....i belive nevil sold seeds for a old columbian kept in holland...as well as the oaxacan...both ov which if I can remember correctly hed managed to seperate into separate seedlines...eg lumbo#1 lumbo#2 oaxcan #2 oaxacan#4....im sure these seedlines wer lost an some mixed up with others in raids...a problem im sure others had too...that an like you say long-term seed storage methods some were using probley didnt help

Dark and yet the people with the old quality Land Races / heirloom variety's are now sitting on gold mines not the guys with the NLs and fast flowering plants.

harvestreaper

Veteran
Yeah - the UK did get swamped with the soap-bar - once a bunch of gangsters figured out you could cut good pressed dry-sieved hash with just about anything - and still be able to sell it to a captive audience - on a small island off the coast of Europe -

When did you first see soap-bar hash available Elmer? - must have been late 80's for me - when I returned from a few years in Asia -

the dreaded soap bar or rope as we used to call it,, never forget a trip to dam in 90 a buddy of mine bought some from a coffee shop i new then the end was nigh lol

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
All that soap-bar crap did have an upside - it led to more people wanting to grow their own - if all they could get was 'soap' - then someone had to start growing some green - and thats what we have in the UK mostly now, green - no-one has tried to sell me any 'soaps' in a very long time - which is good - perhaps I'm not the only one - and that awful fake hash - has gone away -

the dreaded soap bar or rope as we used to call it,, never forget a trip to dam in 90 a buddy of mine bought some from a coffee shop i new then the end was nigh lol

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
Dark and yet the people with the old quality Land Races / heirloom variety's are now sitting on gold mines not the guys with the NLs and fast flowering plants.

That's where you're wrong @hempy, old school NL's and Afghan/Hashplant are still prized treasures, even Nevil would agree.

G

All that soap-bar crap did have an upside - it led to more people wanting to grow their own - if all they could get was 'soap' - then someone had to start growing some green - and thats what we have in the UK mostly now, green - no-one has tried to sell me any 'soaps' in a very long time - which is good - perhaps I'm not the only one - and that awful fake hash - has gone away -

I think some of that soap bar was skull cap with no sieved hash at all.
By the mid 80s for us up north the hash was getting thin on the ground and we were getting pressed thai and african that was quite nice but nothing like those hashes we could get.:tiphat:

T

TakenByTheSky

Has anybody grown "the doors"? If so how does it compare to other similar hazes?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Has anybody grown "the doors"? If so how does it compare to other similar hazes?
yes it was good ,, nice size bushes and good bud ,, some more toward haze , some more nl , but all were good and potent ...

i got a kilo each off two bushes i put in late , which was pretty reasonable i thought ..

T

TakenByTheSky

yes it was good ,, nice size bushes and good bud ,, some more toward haze , some more nl , but all were good and potent ...

i got a kilo each off two bushes i put in late , which was pretty reasonable i thought ..

What kind of smells? Typical hazey?
So many MNS are so genetically similar it makes me wonder if you can really tell them apart.

TheDarkStorm

I agree hempy...those who still have the pure unpolluted versions have something very precious. Mind you even some of the old original forms of some of the fast flowering plants are rare....eg alot of people still claim to have the original form of the nl lines...tho most arnt the same thing..im sure the original nl#5 clone that nevil selected would be worth alot seeing as time an time again it produced constantly excellent stuff...the silver pearl in its original form was a beautiful plant...the very early sativa dom version of the skunk#1 was a very nice smoke....the g13 is still very tightly held...the old sativas wer something else tho...the good ones wer on a different level to the majority of what people smoke now...most stuf now youd be lucky if it gives you any kind of high...let alone stay with you through the whole day...I do agree with royal flush too...very good lines of anytype had a place...it depends on what you like....I know alot of people think inbreeding isnt bad...maybe not so much with purer lines that have already been selected by farmers for decades an decades to give the best that the line can...but wat I personally think weve seen is the degrading quality of almost evrything due to inbreeding, and poorly breeding lines, improper breeding methods..poor selection ect ect...for example some lines repeatedly copied by others a copy of a copy of a copy....was ther really a need wen the original exists....if its not improving the line then wat is the point...money...chashing in on names an hype...if a line in its original form is no longer available then its good if someone can pick it up an reproduce it...but only reproduce it an call it the same if it is just as good..dont put out something thats a shadow of its former self cuz thers no point in that....some very poorly thought out proccess have led us to wer we are today....alot of people blame the making of hybrids or faster flowering types for messing evrything up......but wats the harm..an faster flowering types have existed just like the longer flowering types in ther own homelands....and if those hybrids put out excellent weed like most first did...an the lines used to make them are maintained in ther original form...it cant be a bad thing to give everyone more choice...or cater to all needs....the downfall comes from copys that dont even give you anything like the original article....an in alot of cases incorrect methods of maintaining or reproducing lines....then we have a case of new things being made...how many people really test combinations in lines wen trying to breed...worse thing is it is sad to see so many great things lost....but the law is responsible for making things so difficult an completely wiping out alot of things..

TheDarkStorm

Thats more than reasonable Donald...a k is great.....you managed to see these grow unrestricted in a very good environment wer they wer able to fully express themselves.....how far different wer the phenotypes from one another...did you manage to see the whole pack grown out..an do you remember the time period they wer acquired ?

G

Not bad mate :biggrin: wish i lived closer to the equator:tiphat:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
That's where you're wrong @hempy, old school NL's and Afghan/Hashplant are still prized treasures, even Nevil would agree.

I see their value as a tool but personally i would not grow them as i don't enjoy smoking them. Nevil knew my stance on most of the Dutch genetics.

You can find NL every were even in Jamaica but you cant find good quality sativas that easy.

TheDarkStorm

I see their value as a tool but personally i would not grow them as i don't enjoy smoking them. Nevil knew my stance on most of the Dutch genetics.

You can find NL every were even in Jamaica but you cant find good quality sativas that easy.

Yeah...thers loads of skunk#1 there also....I was laughing at this young lady I knew....she showed me some Jamaican import....an was saying to me she dont like all those hybrid type altered plants grown with chemicals....wen I smoked some of the stuff guess wat it was....very poorly grown skunk#1...that was cut early, compressed, battered an had no trim on it or twigs taken out...I just shook my head an thought she would have been better off getting the same thing grown local, organicly but with love...but some people dont listen.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
I agree hempy...those who still have the pure unpolluted versions have something very precious. Mind you even some of the old original forms of some of the fast flowering plants are rare....eg alot of people still claim to have the original form of the nl lines...tho most arnt the same thing..im sure the original nl#5 clone that nevil selected would be worth alot seeing as time an time again it produced constantly excellent stuff...the silver pearl in its original form was a beautiful plant...the very early sativa dom version of the skunk#1 was a very nice smoke....the g13 is still very tightly held...the old sativas wer something else tho...the good ones wer on a different level to the majority of what people smoke now...most stuf now youd be lucky if it gives you any kind of high...let alone stay with you through the whole day...I do agree with royal flush too...very good lines of anytype had a place...it depends on what you like....I know alot of people think inbreeding isnt bad...maybe not so much with purer lines that have already been selected by farmers for decades an decades to give the best that the line can...but wat I personally think weve seen is the degrading quality of almost evrything due to inbreeding, and poorly breeding lines, improper breeding methods..poor selection ect ect...for example some lines repeatedly copied by others a copy of a copy of a copy....was ther really a need wen the original exists....if its not improving the line then wat is the point...money...chashing in on names an hype...if a line in its original form is no longer available then its good if someone can pick it up an reproduce it...but only reproduce it an call it the same if it is just as good..dont put out something thats a shadow of its former self cuz thers no point in that....some very poorly thought out proccess have led us to wer we are today....alot of people blame the making of hybrids or faster flowering types for messing evrything up......but wats the harm..an faster flowering types have existed just like the longer flowering types in ther own homelands....and if those hybrids put out excellent weed like most first did...an the lines used to make them are maintained in ther original form...it cant be a bad thing to give everyone more choice...or cater to all needs....the downfall comes from copys that dont even give you anything like the original article....an in alot of cases incorrect methods of maintaining or reproducing lines....then we have a case of new things being made...how many people really test combinations in lines wen trying to breed...worse thing is it is sad to see so many great things lost....but the law is responsible for making things so difficult an completely wiping out alot of things..

100% agree.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
If a seed producer had a hand full of the old quality sativas we grew up on in the 70s or even if Sam opened up a seed store in Holland and online and offered half of what is on the sacred seed Catalog you cant tell me they would not be sold out in days after each seed production.

Yes people want selection some love indicas others want sativas but that is my point the sativas are not their apart from Haze.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yeah...thers loads of skunk#1 there also....I was laughing at this young lady I knew....she showed me some Jamaican import....an was saying to me she dont like all those hybrid type altered plants grown with chemicals....wen I smoked some of the stuff guess wat it was....very poorly grown skunk#1...that was cut early, compressed, battered an had no trim on it or twigs taken out...I just shook my head an thought she would have been better off getting the same thing grown local, organicly but with love...but some people dont listen.

I never knew how bad things were until i saw a picture of a field of NL being grown in Jamaica close to 2 decades ago.

When i first logged on line around 2000 i expected to be able to order Thais /Colombians /Africans / all the things of old.

I started to look at what was on offer i would see Thai lines that looked nothing like the Thai we grew Colombians the same every thing was to fast flowering nothing looked like what we were use to seeing.

That is when it hit me and i knew the legal seed market was not the place to find the strains of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts