What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Donald Mallard has taken a battering from the powers that be - as many of us have over the years - all trying to grow and still stay secure - has been a life's gamble and gambit - for some its payed off - and many others still struggle - to be able to be close to cannabis - for 'tis our love - our trouble and strife -

This pervading paranoia hasn't helped us as a growing industry to be able to have the checks and balances that most legal industries might enjoy - as in being able to know the exact lineage of any particular cannabis plant - and as the years go by - this gets even worse - breeders pass on - the cops bust growers/breeders so seedlots and vast collections are lost - growers lose the correct/real history and the seeds that go with it are crossed out to make many hybrids and hybrids of polyhybrids -

- What then can happen is that anyone can just about call any cannabis plant - worked or from raw native origins, a land-race even - any name they can think of - and I have seen this with my own eyes -

- So trying to keep a certain line going for decades - is full of pitfalls - and unless done by yourself or someone you can implicitly trust to keep it growing and/or save the seeds - I wouldn't bank on you being able to find that same plant you once knew ten years down the line -
even if it does have the same name - because a truer expression is more likely to have been re-named - and called something else -

Great post Gypsy and an honest one if you look at the industry say around 20 years ago all you had was regular seed and the breeders work was consistent you knew what you would get from a set seed from a set breeder.

You also had guys selling F2s again you knew what you were getting.

Then things started to change in Holland people went to Switzerland and it changed there to so people then headed to Spain.

Lots of things were lost and we saw many only offer Feminized seed.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Donald Nevil had a lot of people send him seed over the years for him to test out for his project .

Nevil also contributed genetics like his Nevil's Haze along with things people had sent him like Jim O just being one of them people.

All the lines Nevil acquired threw the years from the NL and Haze to HP and so on came from people yes but why is it Nevil made them a house hold name and the people that they came from did not ?.

Nevil was a breeder/ artist the plants were his colors and he had the ability to mix the colors and paint a picture that is what Nevil did and was good at.

I dont get why so many are so angry at a guy that did his thing no one was obligated to give him genetics.
im certainly not angry ,
i hope i didnt come across that way in what i wrote ,
i dont think i did anyhow ..

and yes i agree nevil did a great job of combining genetics ,
particularly when he as i said was using stuff folks behind the scenes had worked extensively with initially ..

you know hempy not everyone aspires to be a household name, believe it or not , folks have many reasons for breeding cannabis
most do it because they enjoy doing it and growing the results and often share the seed for free , they dont even profit from it let alone see the need for fame ,
does that mean they are less than the guy that aspires for everyone to know his name ?? i dont think so , they just have different ambitions and needs , maybe less ego ....

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - things kinda exploded around 20 years ago with home growing - around the time Overgrow came onto the internet - and so information on growing cannabis was very easy to access - along with the seeds - before we had weedbase and a few chat channels used by growers - but Overgrow seemed to bring everyone together who was growing and had an internet connection internationally - so fuelling an enormous shift to cannabis being grown indoors and covertly - over the established smuggled cannabis from foreign lands -

If growers are to take such great risks - what propels many of them is the potential financial savings and/or gains they might make from growing the plant - and so they look for a plant that has large yields, a shorter flowering time - and other traits that make it easier to grow than say a 16 week flowering HAZE - So as one of the larger seed vendors at the time - for every HAZE seed sold - I must have sold 1000 seeds or more that were not HAZE -

Also at that time - around 20 years ago we started to see feminized seeds appear for sale - and then autoflowerer's - again this benefitted the fast home grower - who was growing for gain rather than exploring the potential of a particular cannabis cultivar by crossing it with another - for every breeder/seedmaker there must be at least 1000 or more plain growers -

When it gets down to sales - HAZE is a very niche market - in the flowers and seeds - Only a few people will like the crazy ride HAZE gives the brain - and only a few growers will be able to keep a plant alive and well for up to six months from seed or cut indoors -

Personally I do find HAZE interesting - and would certainly be growing some now - if I had the space -

Great post Gypsy and an honest one if you look at the industry say around 20 years ago all you had was regular seed and the breeders work was consistent you knew what you would get from a set seed from a set breeder.

You also had guys selling F2s again you knew what you were getting.

Then things started to change in Holland people went to Switzerland and it changed there to so people then headed to Spain.

Lots of things were lost and we saw many only offer Feminized seed.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
im certainly not angry ,
i hope i didnt come across that way in what i wrote ,
i dont think i did anyhow ..

and yes i agree nevil did a great job of combining genetics ,
particularly when he as i said was using stuff folks behind the scenes had worked extensively with initially ..

you know hempy not everyone aspires to be a household name, believe it or not , folks have many reasons for breeding cannabis
most do it because they enjoy doing it and growing the results and often share the seed for free , they dont even profit from it let alone see the need for fame ,
does that mean they are less than the guy that aspires for everyone to know his name ?? i dont think so , they just have different ambitions and needs , maybe less ego ....

Donald my generation grew up in simpler times and when i started to smoke and grow my personal the people i came in contact with shared genetics and helped each other and they still do.

That is how it should be no one created cannabis we all collected it from some one who also collected it from some one else.

Nevil did not like the public part of his life few people seam to know this part of his life.I suggested he write a book and put his story down he wanted no part of it.

Yes he made money from doing what he did but look at how many made money off him also.

He told me all he wanted was to come back home for 30 years that was all he wanted.

Nevil became a very wealthy man and he achieved this with out selling a single seed or strain again few know this.

The strains he collected if he was told to not share them pure he did just that and he gave credit were it was meant to go.

When he logged on line for the first time what happened Donald ?, You saw it unfold every one wanted a peace of him who in there right mind would want that in there life.

TheDarkStorm

Started the day with some HPHx A5/ T had to test a pheno before packaging it .
Very wispy loose flowers like the brick weed in Thailand . Very small trich heads .
Clear , clean high .

Moved on to Mango Widow x Nevil`s Haze late afternoon . Procrastinating and putting off cleaning the grow room .

Thats something I dont miss...cleaning a growroom..can be a nightmare in some cases....have you tried nh x widow by any chance EB ?

TheDarkStorm

Donald my generation grew up in simpler times and when i started to smoke and grow my personal the people i came in contact with shared genetics and helped each other and they still do.

That is how it should be no one created cannabis we all collected it from some one who also collected it from some one else.

Nevil did not like the public part of his life few people seam to know this part of his life.I suggested he write a book and put his story down he wanted no part of it.

Yes he made money from doing what he did but look at how many made money off him also.

He told me all he wanted was to come back home for 30 years that was all he wanted.

Nevil became a very wealthy man and he achieved this with out selling a single seed or strain again few know this.

The strains he collected if he was told to not share them pure he did just that and he gave credit were it was meant to go.

When he logged on line for the first time what happened Donald ?, You saw it unfold every one wanted a peace of him who in there right mind would want that in there life.

Hempy people who go out ther an do it again an again despite knowing ther gona get ridiculous sentences..or have ther lives ripped apart over an over..I dont think they do it to sell a few seeds..they must obviously love the plant...

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thats something I dont miss...cleaning a growroom..can be a nightmare in some cases....have you tried nh x widow by any chance EB ?

Nah no Nevil Haze x Widow for me .
Haven`t bought seeds from Shanti since he made JessE and Hempy moderators .

Mango Widow , Mango Widow x Nev Haze ,C5 x La Nina , Mango Widow x Angel Heart , Mullum Widow . Yes .

TheDarkStorm

Nah no Nevil Haze x Widow for me .
Haven`t bought seeds from Shanti since he made JessE and Hempy moderators .

Mango Widow , Mango Widow x Nev Haze ,C5 x La Nina , Mango Widow x Angel Heart , Mullum Widow . Yes .

Lol ..cuz hempy an jessE wer mods at the forum you stopped getting seeds from the company ...you could get some from gypsy...but it depends on wat you like an your needs at the time I suppose...you get quite afew good bits anway so suppose your ok..do you do much strain crossing your self ?...how did your mango widow x nh come out ?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hempy people who go out ther an do it again an again despite knowing ther gona get ridiculous sentences..or have ther lives ripped apart over an over..I dont think do it to sell a few seeds..they must obviously love the plant...

Yep i bet most people have a story to tell that grow and love this plant.

When i started to grow and smoke people called us druggies most saw no difference in people who smoked cannabis to people using hard drugs.

The only peace and love i saw was coming from fellow cannabis users the rest treated us as freaks and out casts.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Lol ..cuz hempy an jessE wer mods at the forum you stopped getting seeds from the company ...you could get some from gypsy...but it depends on wat you like an your needs at the time I suppose...you get quite afew good bits anway so suppose your ok..do you do much strain crossing your self ?

:laughing:

TheDarkStorm

Yep i bet most people have a story to tell that grow and love this plant.

When i started to grow and smoke people called us druggies most saw no difference in people who smoked cannabis to people using hard drugs.

The only peace and love i saw was coming from fellow cannabis users the rest treated us as freaks and out casts.

I still get it...even tho it helps me with afew ailments...to much of the media and the authorities been painting this bad picture an making multiple generations believe its bad...luckyly some places things have relaxed...pity its not evrywer....

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Lol ..cuz hempy an jessE wer mods at the forum you stopped getting seeds from the company ...you could get some from gypsy...but it depends on wat you like an your needs at the time I suppose...you get quite afew good bits anway so suppose your ok..do you do much strain crossing your self ?...how did your mango widow x nh come out ?

Never needed to buy Shanti`s seeds in the last few years .

All the herm reports put me off buying more .

I like testing seeds for friends . Sharing the experience .Which reminds me I must break out Karma G `s A5 S1s and the Band Aid x A5 .

MW x NH is good shit . I grew the cut for a year .

I make seeds regularly . For my own amusement . I was very serious about it for a few years . Then I grew some seeds from Bushweed that hermed and polluted my seed plants . Had to throw away a cpl of years of work .Bushies Fckin Cloud catcher . Oh ,, yeah there was a herm in that plot sorry .

Currently I have C5 x A5 / T F2 and C5x A5/ T x HPH /A5T vegging for an outdoor winter project .

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yeah - things kinda exploded around 20 years ago with home growing - around the time Overgrow came onto the internet - and so information on growing cannabis was very easy to access - along with the seeds - before we had weedbase and a few chat channels used by growers - but Overgrow seemed to bring everyone together who was growing and had an internet connection internationally - so fuelling an enormous shift to cannabis being grown indoors and covertly - over the established smuggled cannabis from foreign lands -

If growers are to take such great risks - what propels many of them is the potential financial savings and/or gains they might make from growing the plant - and so they look for a plant that has large yields, a shorter flowering time - and other traits that make it easier to grow than say a 16 week flowering HAZE - So as one of the larger seed vendors at the time - for every HAZE seed sold - I must have sold 1000 seeds or more that were not HAZE -

Also at that time - around 20 years ago we started to see feminized seeds appear for sale - and then autoflowerer's - again this benefitted the fast home grower - who was growing for gain rather than exploring the potential of a particular cannabis cultivar by crossing it with another - for every breeder/seedmaker there must be at least 1000 or more plain growers -

When it gets down to sales - HAZE is a very niche market - in the flowers and seeds - Only a few people will like the crazy ride HAZE gives the brain - and only a few growers will be able to keep a plant alive and well for up to six months from seed or cut indoors -

Personally I do find HAZE interesting - and would certainly be growing some now - if I had the space -

I logged on to OG around 20 years ago thinking i would see people growing what we were and also find people selling seed of the old lines we grew up on it was a shock for me to be honest to see so many focused on indicas or heavy indica hybrids.

It was a great platform chatting to people with the same interests from all over the world.We were net working were most of us before things like OG came were loners keeping all the info to ow selfs.

C99 was big back then and the Haze heads tended to hang in the Mr nice forum in CW.

The Rez and Vic interactions were fun to watch to.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who wants some Thai stick?:)
picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - Cannabisworld was around back then too - along with Marc Emery's outfit - both based in Canada -

Cannabisworld was more laid back then Overgrow - and was more for the old school growers of fine sativa's mostly - but Overgrow catered for the 1000's of new growers keen to get started and grow their own 'erb - and most newbie's wanted something fast and easy to grow - time was of the essence - so most all turned to growing indica dom hybrids - for a fast turnaround - and this type of 'erb was wrongly all named 'Skunk' in the UK - even though it might not be - as a blanket name for any high THC cannabis variety -

Most of the now commercial 'Skunk'/Indica dom varieties you see out there these days are what cannabis buyers have got used to over the past 20 years or so - most all of them have never tried a HAZE or a real uplifting sativa - so maybe they don't realize that you can really get 'HIGH' on cannabis? - rather than the mong'ed out couch-lock-munchies/sleepy effect the majority of cannabis users have grown used to - due to only 'Skunk'(which is not really skunk) being available for purchase -

For them to be commercially viable and compete within the cannabis market - long flowering HAZE/Sativa buyers would have to first be educated as to the vast difference in the high from what they are used to - and the higher cost of production - so making the price higher than the usually Indica dom commercial cannabis available -

C99 was of great interest back then - and when I first tried some in 2000 - I was most impressed - and soon, after hooking up with Sly and Soul - was vending it in Europe for the first time - to many other growers and breeders over here - and worldwide - quite a few then used C99 in their own breeding/seed making efforts -

I logged on to OG around 20 years ago thinking i would see people growing what we were and also find people selling seed of the old lines we grew up on it was a shock for me to be honest to see so many focused on indicas or heavy indica hybrids.

It was a great platform chatting to people with the same interests from all over the world.We were net working were most of us before things like OG came were loners keeping all the info to ow selfs.

C99 was big back then and the Haze heads tended to hang in the Mr nice forum in CW.

The Rez and Vic interactions were fun to watch to.

pinkus

Veteran
'Skunk' in the UK - even though it might not be - as a blanket name for any high THC cannabis variety -

'Skunk'(which is not really skunk)

It wasn't just the UK. I have almost stopped saying this as plenty of people are sure they remember the real deal and it was the best.

Like "kush" maybe 10 years ago, and gluecookies today. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.