What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Great Awakening

Is the Great Awakening happening?

• Yes

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So was I. Not here in corn country. The skies are blue, the air is clean and the wildlife is back. It gets better every year.

In the 60s there were bird murmurations everywhere, now very rare. There are few bees, I'll bet also in CORN country. Just the statement CORN country is a statement of a sick planet. Good that you are planting trees amidst that gross activity by farmers who know very little about soil and life.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a certain 'chess move' that I believe is coming that will make a lot of sense. But, I don't want to say because I think it is a sensitive (national security) matter. I would hate to be a big blabber mouth and have the Deep State figure out his strategy and avoid a trap that has been carefully set. But, I will say that there was a clue in my statement.

Agent 99...where are you?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, technically Three Berries didn't say the planet was sick. They referred to people who think it was sick. But, not trying to give you too hard of a time Chi. I enjoy your thoughts.

As for masks being a drop in the ocean; well, yes. But in the short amount of time that masking has been a thing (world-wide) it sure is a BIG drop in the oceans (and elsewhere).

Don't forget how long masks have been used regularly in China.

Three Berries

In the 60s there were bird murmurations everywhere, now very rare. There are few bees, I'll bet also in CORN country. Just the statement CORN country is a statement of a sick planet. Good that you are planting trees amidst that gross activity by farmers who know very little about soil and life.

Corn is a great carbon sequester and O2 provider. And the farmers have done quite well with their stewardship over the years. Planting flowers and trees in set aside acreage, reducing the erosion and runoff, using less fuel and fertilizer and all while increasing the yield 25%. Record harvest here this year at over 225 bushels an acer.

audiohi

Veteran
Corn is a great carbon sequester and O2 provider. And the farmers have done quite well with their stewardship over the years. Planting flowers and trees in set aside acreage, reducing the erosion and runoff, using less fuel and fertilizer and all while increasing the yield 25%. Record harvest here this year at over 225 bushels an acer.

I hope that healthy planet drought doesn't spread a little east on you.

An important note is the year-over-year decrease in expected corn yield for North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota, which have all been significantly impacted by drought. North Dakota is expected to have a decrease of 24% in corn yield, going from 139 bushels per acre in 2020 down to 106 bushels per acre in 2021. South Dakota is expecting an 18% decrease in corn yield, going from 162 bushels per acre in 2020 to 133 bushels per acre in 2021. Minnesota reports an expected decrease of 14% in corn yield, going from 192 bushels per acre to 166 bushels per acre.

drought-monitor-map-us-070621.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	drought-monitor-map-us-070621.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	18020525

Three Berries

I hope that healthy planet drought doesn't spread a little east on you.

Two years ago we had a drought. Last year we had record rain. I've got nearly 30 years of local rain records. Both are normal weather cycles.

And the genetics of corn has so been improved as long as there is enough water for the first 30 days the plant will mature and produce.

They say we are the Buckle of the Corn Belt here where I live. Been a rainfall reporter to the NWS for nearly 10 years.

drought-monitor-map-us-070621.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	drought-monitor-map-us-070621.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	18020525

Last edited:

Hempy McNoodle

Tell me Hempy. What fuel do you believe the earth runs on?

What do you mean? Are you asking why the earth spins and travels around the sun? Or, are you talking about the life on earth? Or, the most common fuel for humans? If you are trying to find out if I'm a fan of solar energy, I am. But, I like rooftop solar and solar which is personally owned and operated, rather than the large scale, environmentally damaging solar plants which provide energy for profit to people who would otherwise be energy independent. I don't know if this is still the case, but years ago PG&E (energy monopoly) lobbied successfully to make it illegal for Californians to have their own systems that can store solar energy into batteries. People could still have solar panels but they are plugged into PG&Es grid and people are not allowed to be energy independent. In fact, it is damn near impossible to not be forced to have a PG&E account (which has a $10 service fee each month) and a so-called "SMART meter" attached to your home (many feel that it produces deadly frequencies into their bodies). Basically, I want energy independence. I don't want the government forcing us to be a customer of a business.

Hempy McNoodle

Two years ago we had a drought. Last year we had record rain. I've got nearly 30 years of local rain records. Both are normal weather cycles.

And the genetics of corn has so been improved as long as there is enough water for the first 30 days the plant will mature and produce.

They say we are the Buckle of the Corn Belt here where I live. Been a rainfall reporter to the NWS for nearly 10 years.

Yep, looks fairly stable to me.

Hempy McNoodle

A long time ago, I heard a scientist(?) talking about oil. He said that he believes oil is actually sustainably produced within the earth and the oil crisis is just a fabrication. I've always considered it a very interesting possibility.