What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The 2020 Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
But the judge should not be a activist he or she should follow the law. If you don't follow the law you get dictators. If you don't like the laws get people elected to change the law don't make it up in the courts.

If you make up the law in the court then the court rules the people. This gives the power to a few people and negates the peoples vioce threw voting. In other words you end up with a small controlling group in the courts.

How is filling the courts with the most extreme conservative right wing judges and different? Except the majority of the population actually voted against someone with those values?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
lmao what does this even mean?

care to give an example?

and abortion is constitutionally legal. hence my comment on the GOP wanting to stack the courts because they can't overturn abortion (or really anything else they want to overturn) any other way because they have no support to do so.

you sure love putting words into my mouth.

does a constitutionally limited representative government have anything to say about assassinating foreign generals illegally, in a country which we also invaded illegally?

i didn't bother to look this up but i can almost guarantee there is no country that practices 100% direct democracy lol.

Man you are indoctrinated aren't you. You watch and read to much propaganda from the extremist on the left.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Because they follow the law they don't make the law like the dems judges.

I guess the problem is with perspective. From my perspective judges chosen by liberals are more likely to make choices that fall in line with what I believe. And conservatives choose judges that in my opinion make thing worse.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I guess the problem is with perspective. From my perspective judges chosen by liberals are more likely to make choices that fall in line with what I believe. And conservatives choose judges that in my opinion make thing worse.

That should not be true. The judge should follow the law. Who care what your point of view is? If your point of view was what was voted into law then the judge would follow it. If you don't follow the law it leads to judicial tyranny.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
There are so many cases where the dems have used the courts to get what they want it is a joke you would even ask such a question.

yeah, i see your point. advancing our civilizations treatment of the poor & disadvantaged is SO against "conservative" values. why won't those irritating little people just go away & do their suffering & dying where we don't have to look at them? :laughing:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You guys really don't understand why we have a constitutional republic. And that is the problem with your feel good politics. You could care less about those who have a different opinion. That is a travesty.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
yeah, i see your point. advancing our civilizations treatment of the poor & disadvantaged is SO against "conservative" values. why won't those irritating little people just go away & do their suffering & dying where we don't have to look at them? :laughing:

You really are one of the most ignorant people on this thread aren't you. If you want to protect the less fortunate follow the constitution and not the wind. Don't use the courts to force your view on people. The constitution protects the people not some judges opinion.

It is the dems who don't want to protect the little people threw democracy. Democracy it majority rule which leads to the little guy getting over ruled. Kind of like the dems did with the blacks by use of Jim Crow laws.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But the judge should not be a activist he or she should follow the law. If you don't follow the law you get dictators. If you don't like the laws get people elected to change the law don't make it up in the courts.

If you make up the law in the court then the court rules the people. This gives the power to a few people and negates the peoples vioce threw voting. In other words you end up with a small controlling group in the courts.

Bear in mind that courts decide if laws were correctly written and applied in accordance with foundational documents, including the constitution and laws which spell out how new laws and regulations must be construed. It is often through this avenue that laws are overturned or altered.

This is an aspect of common law [as far as I understand] which governs most of the western world.

Laws against such things as abortion have no place whatsoever. Also be prepared for the massive increase in government and policing with implementation of such 'laws' creates. For a simile look to the drug laws and war on drugs, amidst many.

Note; please try for 'through' :)

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Bear in mind that courts decide if laws were correctly written and applied in accordance with foundational documents, including the constitution and laws which spell out how new laws and regulations must be construed. It is often through this avenue that laws are overturned or altered.

This is an aspect of common law [as far as I understand] which governs most of the western world.

Laws against such things as abortion have no place whatsoever. Also be prepared for the massive increase in government and policing with implementation of such 'laws' creates. For a simile look to the drug laws and war on drugs, amidst many.

Note; please try for 'through' :)

Finally some one who can offer a argument.

The basic function of the courts is to follow the law and not make. Making laws is done by elected officials and not the court. When the courts make laws it negates the voters choice. It also invest to much power in the courts and allows some group to force their view onto others. This is how you get something like Iran has where the clerics have say and not the people.

Judges should only change a law when it violates the constitution. In that case yes they can change a law, one that violates the constitution should be over ruled.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran

They would rather pretend to be ignorant of the effects of their choices. As long as it benefits themselves they will never be convinced to see it from any other angle.

h.h.

Veteran
Finally some one who can offer a valid argument.

The basic function of the courts is to follow the law and not make. Making laws is done by elected officials and not the court. When the courts make laws it negates the voters choice. It also invest to much power in the courts and allows some group to force their view onto others. This is how you get something like Iran has where the clerics have say and not the people.

No shit Sherlock. The courts don’t make laws.
That isn’t the claim you’re ducking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts