What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

led05

Chasing The Present
Your gardens are just amazing. I admire your work ethic. Thanks again for sharing.

How do you store potatoes? I have not had great luck myself
TY for the very kind words (work ethic - always have good music playing & edibles on hand & there’s nothing a person can’t accomplish - ! Ha ha but I mean it too ) And large whiteboards to use as checklists to keep your ass in gear !

I’ll answer in greater details later as potatoes can be tricky w/out ideal conditions which few have w/out a root cellar….

In the interim here’s some good info in general for us gardeners / farmers, nothing is set in stone but I printed these off & put up vs others for a reason over the years

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

Edit: I’m actually gonna bend in short side walls, where’s that right triangle calculator I need…. Ok looks like it’s gonna be closer to 25’x12’ now, but I’ll stick some of that sidewall bend in ground for stability

IMG_1313.jpeg

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Many thx Steele; and of course as nature would have her way a bit of rain & hail, at least I’ve got something progressing here, already made the 20 bar bends, once you get a guide to match it’s so easy, especially 1/2” EMT, 3/4” isn’t bad either, bending 1” definitely a bit more difficult

IMG_1315.jpeg

Just wanted to stop in, say hello and show some support. Love what you've got goin on, there.

Steele

A bit makeshift & cheap but I think it’s gonna work out :)

IMG_1316.jpeg

Last edited:

Sub24ox7

Your gardens are just amazing. I admire your work ethic. Thanks again for sharing.
Your pictures @led05 have been an inspiration to me. I see what one person can accomplish at home in your back yard. I grew a lot of mirai sweet corn this year and I plan on finally building a greenhouse too. Honestly everything including your lawn grass looks fantastic!

I’m going to get motivated and try something similar. Would love to eat my own vegetables/fruit. ✌️❤️

Sub24ox7

I have 1 sour livers outside will see if she finishes. I also have a mm x oss f3 outside will see.. I’m going to grow the other 5 sour livers indoors soon they are just vegging.

LG/

Many thx Steele; and of course as nature would have her way a bit of rain & hail, at least I’ve got something progressing here, already made the 20 bar bends, once you get a guide to match it’s so easy, especially 1/2” EMT, 3/4” isn’t bad either, bending 1” definitely a bit more difficult

View attachment 19045188

A bit makeshift & cheap but I think it’s gonna work out :)

View attachment 19045195
Can't wait to see the finished product! Love the diy mentality

led05

Chasing The Present
Your pictures @led05 have been an inspiration to me. I see what one person can accomplish at home in your back yard. I grew a lot of mirai sweet corn this year and I plan on finally building a greenhouse too. Honestly everything including your lawn grass looks fantastic!

I’m going to get motivated and try something similar. Would love to eat my own vegetables/fruit. ✌️❤️
Music to my ears, TY & I can’t wait to see what’s to come !

Can't wait to see the finished product! Love the diy mentality
This is just a quick temporary structure so nothing fancy but should fit the bill

Only got to work half a day today but luckily banged it out, hopefully the rabbits won’t dig there ways in but ya never know…

I made some changes from original idea(s) to simplify things but also to make it easy to resize, relocate & brake down much faster, easy to put plastic on too but this fabric allows precipitation in so will be used for now

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

My neighbors are like another effin structure - lol

IMG_1332.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Ended up being 24’ x 13’ by @ 6.5’ in center, tall enough to walk upright on either side of middle row

These tomatoes won’t stop pumping out, I can’t even come close to keeping up with all the patches

IMG_1330.jpeg

This thing is wild, diameter has to be pushing 13 feet, 9 feet tall and base stem is over 5” diameter already, it’s never gonna finish…. But….

IMG_1343.jpeg

By far the most difficult part of todays project was getting the fabric up on my own in the wind & rain from the approaching remnants of hurricane Debbie

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
How do you store potatoes? I have not had great luck myself
Important to test many varieties & find ones that grow well & store well for you

Important to sort out at initial harvest any green or any other suspect ones, eat them first, they never go into true “storage” or even short term storage

Dry potatoes in garage or similar 2-3 weeks (65-80f) to thicken up their skins, cover to avoid any direct light but allow airflow - I use burlap and 1 - 1.5 bushel laundry baskets (cheap, strong, work great)

Then sort & inspect all again after thickening up their skins, one group is for seed, another for LT storage and another to eat the next 3-4 months, get rid of or eat any issue spuds discovered during this second sorting, never store anything but the best !

In LT storage I store in refrigerators 35-39F, I store in large tubtrugs or similar and cover with burlap & towels, this allows them to still breath a little but also keeps humidity much higher than the rest of the fridge…

Check on them every now & then, a bad potato multiplies rapidly and holy shit a tub of bad potatoes is about the nastiest effin thing ever, the stench is horrible & they turn into like a sticky soup, so effin gross !! lol

We have eaten tasty potatoes 10, 11+ months old here, they store a long long time!

We’re actually about to go down to only one variety; keuka gold, they just dominate here & taste better than any other potatoes we’ve ever had, fact they are huge & very easy to harvest & store exceptional well it’s impossible to ignore any longer, Russian Fingerlings Adios, you held out longer than all the others, salute !

Keuka Gold grow incredibly well @ here, not surprisingly they are a Cornell & their extensions creation :)

Last edited:

LG/

Important to test many varieties & find ones that grow well & store well for you

Important to sort out at initial harvest any green or any other suspect ones, eat them first, they never go into true “storage” or even short term storage

Dry potatoes in garage or similar 2-3 weeks (65-80f) to thicken up their skins, cover to avoid any direct light but allow airflow - I use burlap and 1 - 1.5 bushel laundry baskets (cheap, strong, work great)

Then sort & inspect all again after thickening up their skins, one group is for seed, another for LT storage and another to eat the next 3-4 months, get rid of or eat any issue spuds discovered during this second sorting, never store anything but the best !

In LT storage I store in refrigerators 35-39F, I store in large tubtrugs or similar and cover with burlap & towels, this allows them to still breath a little but also keeps humidity much higher than the rest of the fridge…

Check on them every now & then, a bad potato multiplies rapidly and holy shit a tub of bad potatoes is about the nastiest effin thing ever, the stench is horrible & they turn into like a sticky soup, so effin gross !! lol

We have eaten tasty potatoes 10, 11+ months old here, they store a long long time!

We’re actually about to go down to only one variety; keuka gold, they just dominate here & taste better than any other potatoes we’ve ever had, fact they are huge & very easy to harvest & store exceptional well it’s impossible to ignore any longer, Russian Fingerlings Adios, you held out longer than all the others, salute !

Keuka Gold grow incredibly well @ here, not surprisingly they are a Cornell & their extensions creation :)
I knew a guy that would bury sweet potatoes to store them. I'm considering trying it with potatoes. I'll have far too many to eat, and no root cellar. Just cuts the greens and leave em.
I might dig out a space in ground, make a box and give it alittle vent... idk
Music to my ears, TY & I can’t wait to see what’s to come !

This is just a quick temporary structure so nothing fancy but should fit the bill

Only got to work half a day today but luckily banged it out, hopefully the rabbits won’t dig there ways in but ya never know…

I made some changes from original idea(s) to simplify things but also to make it easy to resize, relocate & brake down much faster, easy to put plastic on too but this fabric allows precipitation in so will be used for now

View attachment 19045332

View attachment 19045333

View attachment 19045334

My neighbors are like another effin structure - lol

View attachment 19045335

View attachment 19045336

View attachment 19045338
Ended up being 24’ x 13’ by @ 6.5’ in center, tall enough to walk upright on either side of middle row

These tomatoes won’t stop pumping out, I can’t even come close to keeping up with all the patches

View attachment 19045339

This thing is wild, diameter has to be pushing 13 feet, 9 feet tall and base stem is over 5” diameter already, it’s never gonna finish…. But….

View attachment 19045340

By far the most difficult part of todays project was getting the fabric up on my own in the wind & rain from the approaching remnants of hurricane Debbie
Looks great to me! Well done

led05

Chasing The Present
I knew a guy that would bury sweet potatoes to store them. I'm considering trying it with potatoes. I'll have far too many to eat, and no root cellar. Just cuts the greens and leave em.
I might dig out a space in ground, make a box and give it alittle vent... idk

Looks great to me! Well done
We grow sweet potatoes too, definitely can’t bury them @ here! Even a root cellar @ here is far too cool for them, sweet potatoes you’ve gotta cure in 80-90F+ high humidity for 2-3 weeks BF storing @60-65F or so iirc, we actually just tossed out the last couple we had from last year a few days ago, they finally started to taste poorly

Regular spuds I’d think in most peoples garages in a barrel & moist coco coir or something would make a good to great spot; our garage we climate control and in winter it rarely / if ever goes below 60F so it’s far too warm for them.

@ here our freeze line is 4 feet deep so we have to dig below that to bury shit & get thermal benefits

Is this LG my cactus friend, feels like Dejavu..?

LG/

We grow sweet potatoes too, definitely can’t bury them @ here! Even a root cellar @ here is far too cool for them, sweet potatoes you’ve gotta cure in 80-90F+ high humidity for 2-3 weeks BF storing @60-65F or so iirc, we actually just tossed out the last couple we had from last year a few days ago, they finally started to taste poorly

Regular spuds I’d think in most peoples garages in a barrel & moist coco coir or something would make a good to great spot; our garage we climate control and in winter it rarely / if ever goes below 60F so it’s far too warm for them.

@ here our freeze line is 4 feet deep so we have to dig below that to bury shit & get thermal benefits

Is this LG my cactus friend, feels like Dejavu..?
Thanks for the info! I didnt even consider the garage. Might try that.
So interesting how different things are cured. I didnt know that about sweet potatoes.
Nope, not the cactus guy. Does seem familiar tho, maybe youve asked me once before? Haha

led05

Chasing The Present
Thanks for the info! I didnt even consider the garage. Might try that.
So interesting how different things are cured. I didnt know that about sweet potatoes.
Nope, not the cactus guy. Does seem familiar tho, maybe youve asked me once before? Haha
I definitely asked you before hence the DeJavu

Debbie moved on through, dumped @4” past 24 hours which is a lot for @ here at least, more rain than we got all of July…

The one time we flooded here in our 14 or so years we got 8” in under 24 hours & the sump got overwhelmed, we live in a high radon area so they are all sealed, water once overflowing couldn’t escape & I woke up to 14-18” of water & a floating carpet in a completely finished basement; I immediately ran through it all drilled a few 1” holes in the plastic covering the sump & it was drained in a hour - definitely never want to deal with that mess & remediation afterwards, it was start of covid & you couldn’t find a company for months no matter how hard you tried nor $$$ to spend, but that led to me finishing the basement much nicer so all is well that ends well eh !!!

My entire property is French drains leading to the back lowest corner, they are working perfectly, each one is @2 feet deep of stone working their magic - ponding always occurs @ the GH which is dug 6-7’ deep which includes 2-3’ of crush below it so it breaths & wicks water up into its beds, it’ll drain completely in an hour or two…

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

The new structure far short on snap clamps (Order on its way) held up well, the back end of the storm had 30-40mph winds & heavy rains so I’m definitely pumped about that & pleasantly surprised too I must add

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

I definitely asked you before hence the DeJavu

Debbie moved on through, dumped @4” past 24 hours which is a lot for @ here at least, more rain than we got all of July…

The one time we flooded here in our 14 or so years we got 8” in under 24 hours & the sump got overwhelmed, we live in a high radon area so they are all sealed, water once overflowing couldn’t escape & I woke up to 14-18” of water & a floating carpet in a completely finished basement; I immediately ran through it all drilled a 1” hole in the plastic covering the sump & it was drained in a hour - definitely never want to deal with that mess & remediation afterwards, it was start of covid & you couldn’t find a company for months no matter how hard you tried nor $$$ to spend, but that led to me finishing the basement much nicer so all is well that ends well eh !!!

My entire property is French drains leading to the back lowest corner, they are working perfectly, each one is @2 feet deep of stone working their magic - ponding always occurs @ the GH which is dug 6-7’ deep which includes 2-3’ of crush below it so it breaths & wicks water up into its beds, it’ll drain completely in an hour or two…

View attachment 19045702

View attachment 19045701

View attachment 19045703

View attachment 19045704

View attachment 19045705

The new structure far short on snap clamps (Order on its way) held up well, the back end of the storm had 30-40mph winds & heavy rains so I’m definitely pumped about that & pleasantly surprised too I must add
Hello led05, to find all that water in your basement and the enormity of the clean up, that must have left you feeling overwhelmed some. It's not the type of situation you can put off for an extended time.
I use to do some part time work for a fellow that owned a couple of Fire & Flood restoration businesses. A lot of work/money involved cleaning up afterwards. Now, like the Boy Scouts motto, be prepared.

led05

Chasing The Present
Hello led05, to find all that water in your basement and the enormity of the clean up, that must have left you feeling overwhelmed some. It's not the type of situation you can put off for an extended time.
I use to do some part time work for a fellow that owned a couple of Fire & Flood restoration businesses. A lot of work/money involved cleaning up afterwards. Now, like the Boy Scouts motto, be prepared.

I’ll tell ya what - Carrying wet carpet & padding dripping in my mouth, ears & face in big black bags up stairs…. Not fun, lol !

But Within minutes of drilling the holes I ordered a few grand in fans & ozone gens for remediating delivered next day - thx Amazon for the 30 day returns :) , had 4 - 1HP fans going 24/7, think our electric bill that month was like 1400 when all was said & done

filled a 35 yard dumpster with shit, within a month I had rebuilt it all, waterproof flooring, trim all waterproof, dual sump pumps with battery backup…. Only thing I didn’t do is run larger lines out, the reality is basement aren’t underwritten by any full insurance policies nor is anything below grade for very good reason, from time to time they’ll flood, my sump has two 4” lines for flooding overflow and one 2.5” line out, some suggested upgrading to 3” out but it’s still moot if enough is coming in….

I can handle once every couple decades, 8” in under 24 hours @ here is like getting struck by lightning while riding a unicorn….

But it happened once so can again….

PS: I even built a custom room 12x15 or so post flood to grow in & ran 40amps into it, so all is well that ends well…

I did work around 20-25 16 hour days in a row though to get there, alone… but that’s the best way to appreciate it all in the end!!

Thx for stopping in oldman

Last edited:

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Hey @led05 I hate water as a Capricorn for sure but since we are living in a flood area i can feel you so bad!

Your season is going to be killer as usual. I am in love with the EP for sure. First seeds I planted back in the days.

Durlumbo.. no words :love:

Just the greenhouse looks kind of empty this year :ROFLMAO:

led05

Chasing The Present
Just the greenhouse looks kind of empty this year :ROFLMAO:
Haha it does ! - 3 Primary Reasons

1) dood I got like 20+ lbs flower last year from outside & GH alone, it was like 15lbs too much trimming & I really only take the top 1-3 feet on each arm & compost all the rest as it is….

2) That GH needs a new roof as it’s shading too much to grow the finest

3) that back nook behind GH with fence, all the stone is an all day sun spot all way until winter & is a heat trap so a serious positive micro climate 4 cannabis, it grows better cannabis than the GH does, pretty much all @…. Full sun, full UVB, no GH pampering, rain & nature outside controls fungal pressures better, bug pressures more equilibrium too, air movement etc etc I can go on & on

I do wanna put glass on that roof but that’s an expensive & complicated project so not certain I will with all the options of other places to grow - if I wasn’t in middle of neighborhood I’d blast light in there but I am and that’s rude as fk & brings too many prying eyes, it’s got 40a power in there.

I have to say though it’s wonderful /interesting/fullfilling how a property develops itself and pushes us into where it belongs or where it wants things to be whether to our plans or what we want - we just have to tinker, experiment, listen & pay attention and what we can find, experience is nothing short of miraculous

Quickly pulled a basket each of tomatoes, cucumbers & melons, seems cukes are winding down finally

IMG_1360.jpeg

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

I’ll tell ya what - Carrying wet carpet & padding dripping in my mouth, ears & face in big black bags up stairs…. Not fun, lol !

But Within minutes of drilling the holes I ordered a few grand in fans & ozone gens for remediating delivered next day - thx Amazon for the 30 day returns :) , had 4 - 1HP fans going 24/7, think our electric bill that month was like 1400 when all was said & done

filled a 35 yard dumpster with shit, within a month I had rebuilt it all, waterproof flooring, trim all waterproof, dual sump pumps with battery backup…. Only thing I didn’t do is run larger lines out, the reality is basement aren’t underwritten by any full insurance policies nor is anything below grade for very good reason, from time to time they’ll flood, my sump has two 4” lines for flooding overflow and one 2.5” line out, some suggested upgrading to 3” out but it’s still moot if enough is coming in….

I can handle once every couple decades, 8” in under 24 hours @ here is like getting struck by lightning while riding a unicorn….

But it happened once so can again….

PS: I even built a custom room 12x15 or so post flood to grow in & ran 40amps into it, so all is well that ends well…

I did work around 20-25 16 hour days in a row though to get there, alone… but that’s the best way to appreciate it all in the end!!

Thx for stopping in oldman
My pleasure to stop by, your posts are interesting and I like your photos.
Out of curiosity do you have a higher education?

Rgd

Veteran
Rgd said:
more or less 12/12..they do flushes of pistils..then fill in..

update
I chopped them down yesterday I saw signs of reveg starting

I only get there every 4 days and the power flickers last week had messed my digital timer..

its more done than it looked..I will get a good bunch..its in good shape

will do another run for science using a tent and an mechanical timer..and do 11 on like i wanted..

gonna clean up my place and start fresh for the fall..

ps

was quite a rain here.sump pump on every 2 minutes all night there