What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Starlite LED / Flip Chip Opto - 2400 WATTS OF LED POWER! (Duet/Apollo/Luna)

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmm intrigued. I was about drop a lot of money on CMH's but this looks like LED's have finally stepped up to the plate to provide sufficient power. I'd definitely need to know footprint per 2400 and heat generation info...If no heat this sounds like a great alternative.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so... is anyone growing with these yet? or are there any grow journals of grows using them... i have to admit im extremely interested in them!

URSA LED

Vendor
Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the absence here on ICMAG, we've just been incredibly busy with developing new lights specifically targeted with high PPFD/PAR at even coverage.

We're excited to announce our new 640W (actual usage 640W) fixture, that will produce 1250-1500PPFD @ 2 FEET from canopy, and it will give a decent coverage of 4 X 4. We will be showing this at HEMPCON in a few weeks. I have a picture below:

We've also signed up with a few well known growers here in the bay and they are testing our lights with their grows. Krunchbubble is one of our testers and will be sharing some of the results from our lights, and he will be helping us develop even better lights in the future.

Feel free to contact me / shoot me an e-mail if you have questions and I don't seem to be responding on the forums!

URSA LED

Vendor
Hey P, to ask "who does not know that two bands, red and blue, are simply not sufficient for healthy plants," shocks me as noobs continue to buy MARs type r/b panels. AND, many commercial ops growing food plants are using r/b instead of white based. I got banned from Grass City for continuing to point this out where MARs is a big advertiser

Hi PetFlora,

We completely understand R/B and the W debates going on, not just on the forums, but even in professional settings such as horticultural conferences over in Europe.

We cater to all, if you would like to purchase our fixtures with a combination of w/r/b or just w/r, you are welcome to request for that customization with us.

:dance013::dance013::dance013:

URSA LED

Vendor
Hmm intrigued. I was about drop a lot of money on CMH's but this looks like LED's have finally stepped up to the plate to provide sufficient power. I'd definitely need to know footprint per 2400 and heat generation info...If no heat this sounds like a great alternative.

The problem with the LED industry, is that we've been hit with bad reputations with older generation technology.

There is a difference between SMD technology, package LEDS, discrete leds, wirebond leds etc. etc.

Wirebond LEDs are old technology. Their N and P pads are brittle, and break easily with vibration or bad heat transfer. The industry's solution to that is to invent a "Flip Chip LED" also known as the conventional flip chip LED where the N and P pads are turned upside down, so the wires are no longer needed to power the LED. The limitation with conventional LEDs stop around 300 watts because of the power limitation due to the incredible amount of heat generated. Yeah... you can increase the size of the board, or do strips instead, and that is where you hit the intensity issue and not being able to penetrate deep :laughing:.

So, our company has invented something even better, invented, patented right here in the Silicon Valley the 3-PAD Flip Chip COB.
We pack LEDs as dense as possible onto a small board, and the 3-PAD pillar draws all the heat away from the LEDs, allowing us to create LED engines up to 2400W, and that 2400W light engine is only the size of your palm, less than 3mm thick. On top of that, our redundant structural design means that if one of the LEDs suddenly stop working, no other LEDs on the board will be affected.

We pack 400+ LEDs onto a board the size of your palm, so we wanna make sure it lasts for a long long time. (100,000 / 10+ years to be exact).

Nobody in the world can do what we do. I hope I have gave a decent explanation. Here's our brochure if you want to learn more about the technology.

http://www.starlite-led.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/brochure_v1.pdf

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there any plans to have some do some test grows with these ??.. I would be interested in the 90CRI, 5.6K 1000W. Pricing is the only thing that holds most of us back form using LED's. At least for me the price and power have the Achilles heel.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I just wanted to say that I REALLY like this company because they are truly making lights for us, THE GROWERS...

These guys are a young group of cool people, not some suits behind a conglomerate company that knows nothing about our industry and is trying to cash in on growers...

They WANT our feedback. Our feedback will directly relate to advances in what they make and sell, I like that a lot!

They are not just using the run of the mill LED's from China that EVERY LED company uses. They use their own patented LED's, made in Korea...

I also LOVE that they are based in the Bay Area....

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The problem with the LED industry, is that we've been hit with bad reputations with older generation technology.

There is a difference between SMD technology, package LEDS, discrete leds, wirebond leds etc. etc.

Wirebond LEDs are old technology. Their N and P pads are brittle, and break easily with vibration or bad heat transfer. The industry's solution to that is to invent a "Flip Chip LED" also known as the conventional flip chip LED where the N and P pads are turned upside down, so the wires are no longer needed to power the LED. The limitation with conventional LEDs stop around 300 watts because of the power limitation due to the incredible amount of heat generated. Yeah... you can increase the size of the board, or do strips instead, and that is where you hit the intensity issue and not being able to penetrate deep :laughing:.

So, our company has invented something even better, invented, patented right here in the Silicon Valley the 3-PAD Flip Chip COB.
We pack LEDs as dense as possible onto a small board, and the 3-PAD pillar draws all the heat away from the LEDs, allowing us to create LED engines up to 2400W, and that 2400W light engine is only the size of your palm, less than 3mm thick. On top of that, our redundant structural design means that if one of the LEDs suddenly stop working, no other LEDs on the board will be affected.

We pack 400+ LEDs onto a board the size of your palm, so we wanna make sure it lasts for a long long time. (100,000 / 10+ years to be exact).

Nobody in the world can do what we do. I hope I have gave a decent explanation. Here's our brochure if you want to learn more about the technology.

http://www.starlite-led.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/brochure_v1.pdf

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the absence here on ICMAG, we've just been incredibly busy with developing new lights specifically targeted with high PPFD/PAR at even coverage.

We're excited to announce our new 640W (actual usage 640W) fixture, that will produce 1250-1500PPFD @ 2 FEET from canopy, and it will give a decent coverage of 4 X 4. We will be showing this at HEMPCON in a few weeks. I have a picture below:

We've also signed up with a few well known growers here in the bay and they are testing our lights with their grows. Krunchbubble is one of our testers and will be sharing some of the results from our lights, and he will be helping us develop even better lights in the future.

Feel free to contact me / shoot me an e-mail if you have questions and I don't seem to be responding on the forums!

I am intrigued. I was dead set on CMH but I run a pretty good size grow and the heat production is something I wanted to get away from entirely. I like how these are low profile as far as a size, storing, and portability go.

The reasons you mentioned as far as bad rep goes for the growers in the industry when considering LED lights are the same reasons I have not bothered to even consider the lights the industry produces for a few years now. Too many products that produce insufficient amounts of light for even mid size growers.

I am interested in your 1200 watt model and the 640 watt mentioned above. Do you have any information as to when the 640 watt model will be available for purchase?

URSA LED

Vendor
We will display our new 640W fixture at HEMPCON, and will feature both Active cooled and Passive cooled versions.

Sneak peak on our passive cooled version that is only around 4 inches thick.
new-product.png

woolybear

Veteran
Hey Alex, 6-year LED grower here, let me know if you need another test case!

edit: I can also think about designing you guys a new logo!

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
this is relevant to my interests

cat-interests.jpg

when is this coming to market? I dont go to trade shows being a small timer,
but im sure the commercial guys are waiting to get their hand on this for beta testing.

Hey Krunch, hows the testing going?

Price list and availability eta?

URSA LED

Vendor
this is relevant to my interests

View Image

when is this coming to market? I dont go to trade shows being a small timer,
but im sure the commercial guys are waiting to get their hand on this for beta testing.

Hey Krunch, hows the testing going?

Price list and availability eta?

Hi Boyd,

Our 640W passive and active solutions have not been priced yet, but they will be announced on Hempcon 4/15 and put online after the show.

Dion

1) what driver would we need to run each colour independently?how would we connect it? does each colour have a separate connection point
2) are the 'reds' all 660nm?
3) obviously the white and red is the only spectrum of interest to those who have used/researched led for growing plants so what is the ratio of red to white in those chips?
4) what is the retail price and where can we buy them?
5)if this is not a thread for discussing this product does it mean if we have nothing good to say we should just say nothing?

:tiphat:

URSA LED

Vendor

Originally Posted by Dion View Post
1) what driver would we need to run each colour independently?how would we connect it? does each colour have a separate connection point
2) are the 'reds' all 660nm?
3) obviously the white and red is the only spectrum of interest to those who have used/researched led for growing plants so what is the ratio of red to white in those chips?
5)if this is not a thread for discussing this product does it mean if we have nothing good to say we should just say nothing?

Hi Dion,

1) Depending on which COB you order, you'll have to find the right wattage/voltage. For example, we use 2 X HLG 600W 54A to power our 1200W Fixture, and we'll be using 2 X HLG 320W to power our new 640W Fixture. You can take a look at the voltage/amp requirements on our COB datasheets. Depending on which COB you get, they are sectionalized (is that even a word?), meaning each section on the COB has it's own power input. Our Apollo 2400/Duet 2400 has 4 individual inputs. You could even ask us to make a white 3080/white 4080/blue/red combo for all 4 sections. If you want to go a little more pro, you could even program it to dim each section different.

2) I quote from our research director on his exerpt about discrete led vs our COB:

"The third problem is the narrow bandwidth (~25nm) that discrete red LED packages emit. It is difficult for such a narrow bandwidth to simultaneously cover the absorption peaks of chlorophyll at 640nm and 660nm. On the other hand, Flip Chip Opto’s Duet technology provides a broad 80nm bandwidth which covers a majority of the red spectrum. We teamed with Flip Chip Opto’s phosphor division in order to ensure that the peak absorption spectrums of chlorophyll were well represented in our light signature. The result is an LED technology tailored toward horticultural use and built to perform through many grow cycles with no drop in efficiency"

3) We have both a fixed and dynamic version. We have 5 ratios per wattage model for example our Duet Fixed 300W (currently not on the website yet):

*NOTE ON PPFD READINGS THIS READING IS ON THE COB LEVEL WITH NO OPTICS AND NO SPECIFIED COVERAGE AREA
300wfixed.png

You can purchase them directly from us by sending us an e-mail. You could also place an order with our office in Fremont.
Pricing and availability is currently very limited due to high demand so we are unable to display that on the website at this time.

5) It's a free country bro. :groupwave: