What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Something wicked this way comes

down2grow

I have experienced the same phenomenon when switching from DWC to coco , for some reason the cut that I always run (over 5 runs) has more SMELL? To it , also when I started flowering with coco the plants seems to stink more ,there's gotta be an explanation. Hopefully a pro can answer this .

Hey FSG,

When you were running that cut in DWC, how often were you changing out the water? During my last run with the nutes that I used I did zero change outs because my EC and PH was so stable and the water was nice and clear the whole time. I'm only asking cause I went to the hydro shop today and the shop owner was saying that my harvest didn't smell as good as my friends did in coco because I did zero change outs and that I let the plants keep eating their own "shit" but if I did weekly change outs that the end product would smell better because the nutrients are fresher. Do you guys think this is a possibility?

Mr Blah

I just don't like how tall two 3.5s are. I only have 8ft and I'm trying to grow trees. my structure with these was fucked from the get-go so i will not be scrogging them like I wanted to. the branches kept snapping when I tried one. these will be vert bare-bulbed in the diamond pattern.

the next round of clones will be mainlined from the beginning until I have a substantial amount of arms that will turn into lucrative donkey phalluses. here's a baby that I mainlined to practice with. she is looking GREAT right now. I love her structure. this pic is about 2 weeks old now and she is way more developed.
I have 7' tall rooms, 7'x9' wide and deep. I use the 3.5gal buckets stacked in a diamond lit room all 600hps.
I get 4-5# and they hit the ceiling. Granted there isn't a lot of room and you have to watch out for how long you vegg for. I have had some get so tall that the tops just bend over and grow.
They probably do not grow as good and large as others with the exact 10'x10' room but I do what I have to with no complaints.
My .02

av8or

Here's a 4 pound Mediplant i grew in a 7 on 3.5 gal ppk system. The room is 10x10 and 7 feet tall. I ran the X pattern (5 vertical light bulbs between 4 plants), and then tossed horizontal, hooded 1kw fixture above each plant (only for that crop because I had enormous plants and wanted to see how much weight I could pull out of a spare bedroom. As it turns out....its a lot of weight. Desert Hydro, you'll be fine growing trees in a 7 foot room. Example given.

Well, got my ICmag fix. Be back in a few months.

Attachments

• IMAG0944-1600x1117.jpg
    IMAG0944-1600x1117.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 26

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Here's a 4 pound Mediplant i grew in a 7 on 3.5 gal ppk system. The room is 10x10 and 7 feet tall. I ran the X pattern (5 vertical light bulbs between 4 plants), and then tossed horizontal, hooded 1kw fixture above each plant (only for that crop because I had enormous plants and wanted to see how much weight I could pull out of a spare bedroom. As it turns out....its a lot of weight. Desert Hydro, you'll be fine growing trees in a 7 foot room. Example given.

Well, got my ICmag fix. Be back in a few months.

how long did you veg that mosnter for??? that's impressive as all hell

Miraculous Meds

I run 10'x'10'x7' rooms vert, with 3.5s on 3.5s, or 5s on 3.5s. Pans out to about 1-1.5' of pruned bottoms, and 3 to 3.5' of bushy hedges. If you have a stretcher plant, you have to top a few times and place the light low during stretch. Sometimes I have to bend the colas over from hitting the ceiling. that's with 600s in the corners and a 1k in the middle.

picture.php

av8or

I run 10'x'10'x7' rooms vert, with 3.5s on 3.5s, or 5s on 3.5s. Pans out to about 1-1.5' of pruned bottoms, and 3 to 3.5' of bushy hedges. If you have a stretcher plant, you have to top a few times and place the light low during stretch. Sometimes I have to bend the colas over from hitting the ceiling. that's with 600s in the corners and a 1k in the middle.

View Image

Why am I not surprised? Haha! This is where I learned it, folks. MM is a fantastic grower. Listen to his advice.

av8or

how long did you veg that mosnter for??? that's impressive as all hell

D9 and I used it as a mother plant for quite a while. It would have been twice that size had we not hacked off so many clones. Also, this plant was from seed so the veg time calculation tends to be different than the usual clone starts. But, to answer what you're asking, I'd say this size Mediplant can get this big with 6 or 7 weeks of veg. Maybe less. We only vegged it with a single 1500w MH. We had to spin the plant around to get all sides, of course. It was a vertically hung bulb, too. We easily cut out as much vegetation as was still there by the time it was flipped. 600 ppm at 5.8. I had another one even bigger....but I had to move location s a few hundred miles away and she didn't make it after the transfer. Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMAG1118-1600x1117.jpg
    IMAG1118-1600x1117.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 37

av8or

Probably needed to transplant her into a larger pot. 7 gallons might have been too small for what looks to potentially be a 5-7 pound indoor plant. I had 4 DEs on her in this room but she never got flowered.

av8or

Hey FSG,

When you were running that cut in DWC, how often were you changing out the water? During my last run with the nutes that I used I did zero change outs because my EC and PH was so stable and the water was nice and clear the whole time. I'm only asking cause I went to the hydro shop today and the shop owner was saying that my harvest didn't smell as good as my friends did in coco because I did zero change outs and that I let the plants keep eating their own "shit" but if I did weekly change outs that the end product would smell better because the nutrients are fresher. Do you guys think this is a possibility?

That growshop owner gave you non-scientific information. Go grab an actual textbook and read about nutrient uptake in type three plants. I haven't changed my water in two years in a 12 plant system. I put out a few pounds a week with it and my custies come to me instead of one of the four dispensaries in town, citing quality. The ppk essentially is a system where the plant is allowed to uptake what it needs, when it needs it. The mass bioavailability of nutrients and oxygen in the ppk lends itself to a stable nutrient solution, especially if you veg and flower on the same system. It takes a little work, but reading a biochemistry college textbook will really, really help your growing. Plants don't eat nutes, anyway. They eat light. The nutes keep the plant running properly. If you don't believe me, stop eating food and only eat vitamins. See how long that lasts. Haha

Mr Blah

That growshop owner gave you non-scientific information. Go grab an actual textbook and read about nutrient uptake in type three plants. I haven't changed my water in two years in a 12 plant system. .....

If there is something wrong with the plant, is that why the PPM's rise and PH spikes out of wack?

Putting the rooted clone into the PPK, day 1:

picture.php

Lots of trimming and training, Day 31:

picture.php

It's always fun to watch how much faster plants grow in hydro. The dirt clones in the background are 2 weeks older than the plant in the tub, but they aren't even half the size.

That growshop owner gave you non-scientific information. Go grab an actual textbook and read about nutrient uptake in type three plants. I haven't changed my water in two years in a 12 plant system. I put out a few pounds a week with it and my custies come to me instead of one of the four dispensaries in town, citing quality. The ppk essentially is a system where the plant is allowed to uptake what it needs, when it needs it. The mass bioavailability of nutrients and oxygen in the ppk lends itself to a stable nutrient solution, especially if you veg and flower on the same system. It takes a little work, but reading a biochemistry college textbook will really, really help your growing. Plants don't eat nutes, anyway. They eat light. The nutes keep the plant running properly. If you don't believe me, stop eating food and only eat vitamins. See how long that lasts. Haha
I have a question in regards to nutrition I am hoping you can shed some light on.

I have been running this awesome PPK system @600 PPM 5.8 pH and my first plant loved it. It was a whopping whole pound and all my grower friends are still astonished by my yield. However, I personally am not too happy with its resin production because it is not as frosty as i would like. This is only my first grow but I am simply chalking it up to genetics.

My second plant (different pheno, same seed pack) that is growing right now is sooo much frostier!!:biggrin: It is also PPK @ 600 PPM 5.8 pH same exact setup as my first plant. So it is obvious to me that the first plant isn't frosty because it is "genetically limited" when it comes to resin production.

When I tell my friends about how i wished my first plant came out frostier they all say the same thing :

"You need to add Heavy 16 FIRE and Heavy 16 PRIME."

These friends of mine are what i would call "Youtube growers" because from what i gather they would rather learn from "commercial growers" on youtube rather than READ and learn from reputable names on the forums.

What should i tell these guys when they make suggestions like these? I don't want to just say "Nah man D9 and these REAL GROWERS over at icmag told me not to add any additives to my Jack's hydro. I'm just gonna listen to them and not you. You grow shitty-tasting weed." Basically, I don't want to come off as a know-it-all douche bag no matter how correct I am lol especially when i dont understand the science behind it 100%. But at the same time i don't want to agree with them and say "yeah i think i will add some of that Heavy 16 Prime even though i've never used Heavey 16 before"

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
I have a question in regards to nutrition I am hoping you can shed some light on.

I have been running this awesome PPK system @600 PPM 5.8 pH and my first plant loved it. It was a whopping whole pound and all my grower friends are still astonished by my yield. However, I personally am not too happy with its resin production because it is not as frosty as i would like. This is only my first grow but I am simply chalking it up to genetics.

My second plant (different pheno, same seed pack) that is growing right now is sooo much frostier!!:biggrin: It is also PPK @ 600 PPM 5.8 pH same exact setup as my first plant. So it is obvious to me that the first plant isn't frosty because it is "genetically limited" when it comes to resin production.

When I tell my friends about how i wished my first plant came out frostier they all say the same thing :

These friends of mine are what i would call "Youtube growers" because from what i gather they would rather learn from "commercial growers" on youtube rather than READ and learn from reputable names on the forums.

What should i tell these guys when they make suggestions like these? I don't want to just say "Nah man D9 and these REAL GROWERS over at icmag told me not to add any additives to my Jack's hydro. I'm just gonna listen to them and not you. You grow shitty-tasting weed." Basically, I don't want to come off as a know-it-all douche bag no matter how correct I am lol especially when i dont understand the science behind it 100%. But at the same time i don't want to agree with them and say "yeah i think i will add some of that Heavy 16 Prime even though i've never used Heavey 16 before"

Thoughts?
who makes it Advance Nutrients?!
Tell your friends to go for it and report back... first hand results... You know: >>>Jacks+Ca, 600-700ppms.. the rest is genetics
EDIT: and environment

av8or

Thoughts?

I agree with Snook, as usual. Try it and see what happens. People are always trying different additives with the jacks. From what I've seen, additives are beneficial for certain strains that require a different nutrient uptake than another strain. Another consideration is the number of plants and strains you're running on the same system. I think my success is partly attributed to running 12 strains in 12 spots at a time. The nutrient uptake tends to even out with all the different uptake requirements. One plant may require more mag and another, less. If they're both on the same system, one can have the extra the other doesn't take and because of that, the solution ppm and ph doesn't spike.

Try adding a MH in each room. It helps resin production. I have 4 x HPS in the corners of the room and a single MH in the center.

As to what you should tell your friends, my advice is to ask them, politely, why they think you should add anything. Get to the bottom of it. You will often find that people don't actually know why they think certain things. Asking why will typically expose this and they will, in trying to answer you, see for themselves that they don't know what they're talking about. I'd advise you not to be harsh, because when people realize they're wrong they usually have some sort of emotional response to it. However, if they have a justifiable reason for giving you that advice, do try it and let us know what happens. I hope that helps. No one here thinkks they know everything. I certainly don't. But I have demonstrated time and time again that jacks @600 ppm puts shoes on the kids. A lot of shoes for a lot of kids.

My question to you all is, is Jack's really all it's cracked up to be? I can't get it in my corner of the world, I would have to import it, which I'm considering. At the moment I'm running nutrifield elements hydro nutes (600ppm) with a little extra silica, and just yesterday introduced seasol (no idea how that does in a hydro res, if it turns to shit I'll drain it)

This is in a 70/30 perlite to coco medium. Ph stays pretty stable, possibly due to the added silica

Anyway plants are looking great, no sign of deficiency just humming along nicely, tho still vegging. I'm wondering for anyone that has tried anything else is Jack's substantially better?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
jacks is great for me because of the price, stability, and consistency. im not willing to play around and switch it up when i am dependant upon my crop for survival.

i have used about 10 different nutrients and they all work fine. work with what you can get, just make sure its legit and make it work for you!

gonna play around with MBferts vitamin/hormone booster this round and see if it does anything. just ordered it yesterday. got enough to do 1000gal so it might actually last me a month between the 36 PPK sites lol

Earlmarne

I ain't used em all, and I ain't a seasoned grower.
My quality and yield have done nothing but go up since switching to Jack's and spending that extra time and money on environment

Thirdtime

Are you guys finding 600ppm to be enough? I am on my fist ppk run and was getting getting nut deficiency signs on a couple of plants. Bumped it to 800 and the fastest growing was still showing signs till i took it to 1000. Bought a new tester to make sure and pH running 5.7. It should be mentioned that the fastest growing is twice the size of the rest. No signs of pests and I spray every week with greencure and neem.

Latest posts

Latest posts