What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Something wicked this way comes

I've used several nutes in coco dtw, and I'm a seasoned grower (doesn't mean I'm any good haha) the only one I've found better than the rest for me is flairform bloom, which I'll continue to use. Don't like the flairform grow though, have to use waaay too much ph down

One thing puts me off importing Jack's is customs can be a bit funny about nutrient ingredients. Otherwise I'd have some by now and see for myself

I got lazy with hand watering coco and ppk seemed easier to me for automation than dtw (Also 10 odd years of coco dtw got extremely tedious, changing grow style breathes new life into my hobby). Either way I should see an increase in yield, fingers crossed!

av8or

Are you guys finding 600ppm to be enough? I am on my fist ppk run and was getting getting nut deficiency signs on a couple of plants. Bumped it to 800 and the fastest growing was still showing signs till i took it to 1000. Bought a new tester to make sure and pH running 5.7. It should be mentioned that the fastest growing is twice the size of the rest. No signs of pests and I spray every week with greencure and neem.

I'll run as high as 1200 in stretch if she's a grower. It's a balance between how much light, what spectrum or light, location of light relative to.the canopy, temperature and vapor pressure deficit, airflow in the room, co2 level, shape of plant, pruning, training, sprays, media, bucket size, feed time and quantity, and lastly, the strain.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Are you guys finding 600ppm to be enough? I am on my fist ppk run and was getting getting nut deficiency signs on a couple of plants. Bumped it to 800 and the fastest growing was still showing signs till i took it to 1000. Bought a new tester to make sure and pH running 5.7. It should be mentioned that the fastest growing is twice the size of the rest. No signs of pests and I spray every week with greencure and neem.

what are you lighting them with? i know some of the more powerful LED and DE lighting seem to cause stuff that looks like a deficiency because of the growth rates no matter how strong you feed.

I'll run as high as 1200 in stretch if she's a grower. It's a balance between how much light, what spectrum or light, location of light relative to.the canopy, temperature and vapor pressure deficit, airflow in the room, co2 level, shape of plant, pruning, training, sprays, media, bucket size, feed time and quantity, and lastly, the strain.

You forgot kitchen sink tailpiece...

But on a serious note, do you bump up at sign of deficiency, or back off at sign of toxicity?

Thirdtime

She's a grower all right, at 6.5 weeks from cutting her from the mother she almost fills a 4x4 net. I try to keep rh at 50% temp 75-82. Using almost the exact setup D9 describes in this thread. I thought maybe some slime or bacteria was keeping her from getting nutes so i gave them a clove/cinnamon oil bath. No signs of burn so i might bump it up a bit more. The strain is called Holy Grail and they recommend pushing nutes to max

what are you lighting them with? i know some of the more powerful LED and DE lighting seem to cause stuff that looks like a deficiency because of the growth rates no matter how strong you feed.
In my veg room I use a combo of CMH and MH

I've used several nutes in coco dtw, and I'm a seasoned grower (doesn't mean I'm any good haha) the only one I've found better than the rest for me is flairform bloom, which I'll continue to use. Don't like the flairform grow though, have to use waaay too much ph down

One thing puts me off importing Jack's is customs can be a bit funny about nutrient ingredients. Otherwise I'd have some by now and see for myself

I got lazy with hand watering coco and ppk seemed easier to me for automation than dtw (Also 10 odd years of coco dtw got extremely tedious, changing grow style breathes new life into my hobby). Either way I should see an increase in yield, fingers crossed!
Depending on where you are there is probably a local equivalent of Jacks. Seems like I remember someone in Europe getting a recommendation from D9 on a local equivalent

Junk

Can someone tell me in a couple short sentences the benefits of a PPK?

I've looked into it, on a few forums, and I get how it works (roughly) but I can't find anything detailing specifically what makes it better than other hydro methods?

The threads here are very informative on the building etc (and long!)...but I want to understand what/why it's better?

Thirdtime

Can someone tell me in a couple short sentences the benefits of a PPK?

I've looked into it, on a few forums, and I get how it works (roughly) but I can't find anything detailing specifically what makes it better than other hydro methods?

The threads here are very informative on the building etc (and long!)...but I want to understand what/why it's better?

Using same water nutrient mix with out having to change it.
Inexpensive nutrients (Jacks)
Not having to worry about temperature of the water.
Wick system in case of power failure.
Easy to adjust water level for wick system.
Don't have to worry about pH swings adjust it once and check once in a while unlike systems where you check and adjust daily.
Reusable media.
Probably forgot something

Suppose I better get dialing then. Maybe the weak link in my chain is nutrients I'm using. Plants look great but aren't growing as fast as I expected. Though a small stature plant maybe it's reaching its limit?

av8or

You forgot kitchen sink tailpiece...

But on a serious note, do you bump up at sign of deficiency, or back off at sign of toxicity?

I'm going to sound like an ass here, but...i haven't had either. Ever. Bugs are the only issue I've had. Oh, and a humidity spat a while back. But never a nute issue. Understanding the metabolic rate probably keeps me from getting into those issues. Low light initially, then more (or closer) as they grow. Plants seem to do just fine. A rooted clone transplanted into a 7 gallon ppk site will be ready to flip in three weeks. I'll get a pound or two depending on strain every time. I can't remeber what a plant looks like that's smaller than a pound. I accidentally pulled 2.5 off one the other say. These jerks overgrow my space all the time. That's my biggest problem. I know...cry me a river.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I'm going to sound like an ass here, but...i haven't had either. Ever. Bugs are the only issue I've had. Oh, and a humidity spat a while back. But never a nute issue. Understanding the metabolic rate probably keeps me from getting into those issues. Low light initially, then more (or closer) as they grow. Plants seem to do just fine. A rooted clone transplanted into a 7 gallon ppk site will be ready to flip in three weeks. I'll get a pound or two depending on strain every time. I can't remeber what a plant looks like that's smaller than a pound. I accidentally pulled 2.5 off one the other say. These jerks overgrow my space all the time. That's my biggest problem. I know...cry me a river.

i shall try and muster a tear for you my friend. im really excited to see what the accidental monster cropping is going to do to these things lol. the other building will be mainlined and scrogged from the get go so their structure will be much easier to deal with......hopefully

Holy shit man 3 weeks veg and a pound or two? I've vegged 3 weeks and if I flipped now I would get 5oz ish from my more indica type pineapple express (unless magic happens in stretch or flower). I need to dial in my environment better then look at getting some Jack's I think...

Tho until the other day ive been vegging with 250w MH so that's probably half my problem. Now with a 600 HPS as well temp and humidity are a bit on the high side...

zeke99

I'm going to sound like an ass here, but...i haven't had either. Ever.

You do not sound like an ass. I've (and suspect that we're not the only people with this experience) only ever dealt with deficiency/toxicity in non-PPK systems. This is my second go round with the PPK.

Argh! Mvp and 8822, I'm still stuck in the stone age with perlite/coco. None of that stuff down here in historic New Zealand...

av8or

Bare vert 600s and 1000s for veg and flower.

I put perlite I'm the tailpiece.

RH in veg is 65-70
Stretch 55-65
Flower 55 tapering down to 45.

Snook

Still Learning
is anyone using straight screened mvp anymore? what would you fill the tailpiece with
yes, old school me. I've turned to 4 gallon sterilite tubs stacked
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Gallon-15-Liter-Stacker-Tote/43002357
with
2, 1.5" tail pieces filled with straight screened turface.. some roots but no clogs for 3 runs now.. Id do the same with 3.5 gallon buckets too...

EDIT: They make a 10 gallon tub similar to the 4s and 2 4s will stack neatly on 1, 10 gallon 'stacker' (same web site)