What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Shiva Grows

shiva82

Something has been taste testing the rainbow beefsteak’s. Mice, rats or birds, I don’t know… pretty much a write-off for veggies and buds this year.

View attachment 18978338
View attachment 18978339
it happens .. get some insect nets erected over your prize plants ? my outdoor tomatoes were destroyed by thistle seeds last year . the seeds would land and stick on the plants and burn holes into the leaves

shiva82

'yorkshire seeds' uk are my new favourite vegetable seed shop. cheap and they always package a few extra seeds too. all varieties stocked are ones that do well in the uk .

san mazano tomatoes . i will save the seeds this year. instead of being wasteful

zaprjaques

da boveda kid
i will save the seeds this year. instead of being wasteful
just make sure you dont dry them straight away. if i remember correctly you put the clusters with the jelly coating into a glass of water till the jelly dissolves from a bit of fermentation. then dry on papertowels.
also my mom keeps the fruits for seed for extra long, till they get all mushy, probably so that the seeds mature to the max.

shiva82

just make sure you dont dry them straight away. if i remember correctly you put the clusters with the jelly coating into a glass of water till the jelly dissolves from a bit of fermentation. then dry on papertowels.
also my mom keeps the fruits for seed for extra long, till they get all mushy, probably so that the seeds mature to the max.
strangely enough . any tomatoes i leave outside in the soil to rot, the seeds tend to sprout around this time in situ . i was thinking of just letting some rot in soil in a tray the say way , and as they germinate next year pluck them out lol. the lazy bastard method

shiva82

rot and over winter lay on top of compost will work for the lazy method . no control one when they germ though lol

zaprjaques

da boveda kid
yeah, and you cant save them for later or for backup. but thats probably not a biggie as theyre available and dont cost a fortune probably.

shiva82

ordered some 2nd year asparagus plug plants and a load more seed ... i now have learned and know why my cucumbers tasted bitter late last season . two varieties cross pollinating during flowering . stick to one strain at a time

goingrey

I believe it increases the germ rate but it's not really necessary.

Last year grew some seeds from some nice tomatoes I had bought from the store earlier. Just wiped them clean and dried them. Viability was fine.

Increased germination rate is good of course but one tomato has a lot of seeds... I'm ok if all of them don't pop. Especially like those seeds I didn't buy a pack it was what was left on the cutting board after slicing up a mater.. :D

shiva82

6 dahlias i placed into soil , they will be grown out the normal way in dirt , and the best saved . i will clone from those too , if i can . and one dahlia i will propagate indoors in 'pon' contained and take cuttings . i need a bigger propagator really , but this is just experimenting and reminding myself of what to do . if , or as i see growth i will place the tuber into a larger pon bed . the pon may be too strong for the tuber too. vermiculite on its own is usually used as substrate for this method . heat mat on its lowest setting and max humidity i'm opting for.... rotten tubers all round lol, hopefully growth shoots

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Latest posts