What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Spaventa

Veteran
Welcome brother
Also curious if you know what terpene/s are responsible for the Frankincense/Incense trait?

Camphene, I believe. I came to the conclusion because Camphene is, according to experts, the dominant terpene in actual Frankincense.

I looked at terpene profiles on Greenhouse seeds site and the strains you would imagine - SSH, NH etc, have significantly more Camphene.

I haven't got around to it but I planned to buy some Camphor essential oil and burn some and see what I can smell. Maybe add some to the res or failing that mist the plants with it lol

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Camphene, I believe. I came to the conclusion because Camphene is, according to experts, the dominant terpene in actual Frankincense.

I looked at terpene profiles on Greenhouse seeds site and the strains you would imagine - SSH, NH etc, have significantly more Camphene.

I haven't got around to it but I planned to buy some Camphor essential oil and burn some and see what I can smell. Maybe add some to the res or failing that mist the plants with it lol

Nope.

https://essentialoils.org/news/notes/frankincense-review-classification-by-chemotype-rather-than-just-species

JohnnyChicago

My female, that I have been saying looks really hazey, it looks a lot like this male. Mine's a girl tho :D

That's my Original Haze father :biggrin: How's the smell on your female?
I think I will germ few OH seeds, only to see if I'm able to find that "interesting smell" again.

my friend told me that, very good grower. icmag member.

Would be nice to see pics of your friends TH and Seedsman's Haze grow. The leafs of Seedsman's Haze are narrower compared to my 93' Positronics Hazes. Same for THH that came from Positronics too. Thats why I was wondering that your friend said they are almost identical. But I may be wrong, 1993 is a long time ago :)

This was a Seedsmans OHaze with keeper potential.
picture.php

Spaventa

Veteran

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Would be nice to see pics of your friends TH and Seedsman's Haze grow. The leafs of Seedsman's Haze are narrower compared to my 93' Positronics Hazes. Same for THH that came from Positronics too. Thats why I was wondering that your friend said they are almost identical. But I may be wrong, 1993 is a long time ago :)

This was a Seedsmans OHaze with keeper potential.
View Image
but I was talking about terps, not look. terps are very similar for nevilles, mangohaze, old timer haze or thh. so thats why I wonder you think seedsman haze is so different.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Your link doesn't list all terpenes in frankincense - its categorising types of frankincense by chemotypes that distinguish them form each other - they ALL have Camphene in addition.

Just google "Camphene Frankincense" and you will see countless sources to confirm Camphenes presence and role in frankincense.

The amount of Camphene is quite small.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22835693/

Spaventa

Veteran

Small amount, big difference I guess. Look how small the amounts of many terpenes are in both cannabis and frankincense - small cogs maybe but they have a job to do and make the difference between one thing and another, the subtle differences.
The terpenes that are in large amounts like alpha pinene we already know aren't responsible because they are in all strains in large amounts. the others like Amyrin aren't even found in cannabis terpene profiles.

Anyway, I only said it was a suspicion but it does fit better than any other suspect. It could be the way a minor terpene modifies a major terpene. Camphene may interact with pinene maybe.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Small amount, big difference I guess. Look how small the amounts of many terpenes are in both cannabis and frankincense - small cogs maybe but they have a job to do and make the difference between one thing and another, the subtle differences.
The terpenes that are in large amounts like alpha pinene we already know aren't responsible because they are in all strains in large amounts. the others like Amyrin aren't even found in cannabis terpene profiles.

Anyway, I only said it was a suspicion but it does fit better than any other suspect. It could be the way a minor terpene modifies a major terpene. Camphene may interact with pinene maybe.

Its the combination of terpenes together which gives the fragrance, just like in a Perfume, but certainly don't think that Camphene is the key constituent responsible for the typical fragrance of Frankincense, when you see how small the amount is.

Boswellia sacra (α-pinene CT)
α-Pinene 10.3–51.3%
α-Phellandrene 0–41.8%
(+)-Limonene 6.0–21.9%
β-Myrcene 0–20.7%
β-Pinene 0–9.1%
β-Caryophyllene 1.9–7.5%
p-Cymene 0–7.5%
Terpinen-4-ol 0–6.9%
Verbenone 0–6.5%
Sabinene 0–5.5%
Linalool 0–5.4%
α-Thujene 0–4.5%
Bornyl acetate 0–2.9%
δ-3-Carene 0–2.6%
δ-Cadinene 0–2.3%
Camphene 0–2.0%
α-Caryophyllene 0–1.8%
Campholenic aldehyde 0–1.5%
Octyl acetate 0–1.5%
Caryophyllene oxide 0–1.4%
α-Copaene 0–1.4%
Calamenene 0–1.3%
Thujol 0–1.2%
1,8-Cineole 0–1.0%
(E)-Cinnamyl acetate 0–1.0%
(Hall 2000)

Boswellia papyrifera
Octyl acetate 50.0–60.0%
1-Octanol 3.5–12.7%
Terpinen-4-ol 0–8.0%
(+)-Limonene 1.7–5.0%
α-Pinene 1.0–4.6%
Incensyl acetate 3.0–4.1%
Cadinol 0–3.0%
Incensol 2.1–2.7%
Thymol 0–2.6%
Linalool 0.2–2.5%
Cembrene A 1.4–2.3%
Isocembrene 0–1.8%
1,8-Cineole 0–1.6%
(E)-β-Ocimene 1.3–5%
α-Thujene 0–1.4%
Bornyl acetate 1.0–.1%
Camphene 0–1.1%
(Tucker 1986; Lawrence 1995g p. 20–23; Hall 2000)

Spaventa

Veteran
Its the combination of terpenes together which gives the fragrance, just like in a Perfume, but certainly don't think that Camphene is the key constituent responsible for the typical fragrance of Frankincense, when you see how small the amount is.

Boswellia sacra (α-pinene CT)
α-Pinene 10.3–51.3%
α-Phellandrene 0–41.8%
(+)-Limonene 6.0–21.9%
β-Myrcene 0–20.7%
β-Pinene 0–9.1%
β-Caryophyllene 1.9–7.5%
p-Cymene 0–7.5%
Terpinen-4-ol 0–6.9%
Verbenone 0–6.5%
Sabinene 0–5.5%
Linalool 0–5.4%
α-Thujene 0–4.5%
Bornyl acetate 0–2.9%
δ-3-Carene 0–2.6%
δ-Cadinene 0–2.3%
Camphene 0–2.0%
α-Caryophyllene 0–1.8%
Campholenic aldehyde 0–1.5%
Octyl acetate 0–1.5%
Caryophyllene oxide 0–1.4%
α-Copaene 0–1.4%
Calamenene 0–1.3%
Thujol 0–1.2%
1,8-Cineole 0–1.0%
(E)-Cinnamyl acetate 0–1.0%
(Hall 2000)

Boswellia papyrifera
Octyl acetate 50.0–60.0%
1-Octanol 3.5–12.7%
Terpinen-4-ol 0–8.0%
(+)-Limonene 1.7–5.0%
α-Pinene 1.0–4.6%
Incensyl acetate 3.0–4.1%
Cadinol 0–3.0%
Incensol 2.1–2.7%
Thymol 0–2.6%
Linalool 0.2–2.5%
Cembrene A 1.4–2.3%
Isocembrene 0–1.8%
1,8-Cineole 0–1.6%
(E)-β-Ocimene 1.3–5%
α-Thujene 0–1.4%
Bornyl acetate 1.0–.1%
Camphene 0–1.1%
(Tucker 1986; Lawrence 1995g p. 20–23; Hall 2000)

Thats pretty much what I said about combinations.

The low level of Camphene in THOSE plants they tested means nothing to the debate. If it was a terpene that was present in most plants in significant levels, frankincense smelling strains wouldn't be rare, but they are. It could well be that when you get one of the old Nevilles with heavy frankincense and terpene profile THAT.. you get more than 0 to 2 percent quoted. It will be a terpene that is normally only present in tiny amounts in most plants and significantly higher in a very few. I can only confirm it when I get a frankincense plant to test but I will not be surprised if Camphene is higher in them.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

Well then, what is responsible, if you think you got it figured out... :)

G

Gr33nSanta

I think that certain terpenes, when found in the tiniest amount, can have the biggest impact.

Spaventa

Veteran
I think that certain terpenes, when found in the tiniest amount, can have the biggest impact.

Thats true but the defining characteristic of the terpene in question is its scarcity or absence in most plants. Thats why we can rule out all of the commonly found major terpenes and we are left with the minor terpenes like Camphene. We can also rule out most of those because they don't show up in frankincense terpene profiles. When you only consider minor terpenes that are common to both cannabis and frankincense, you are over the target. Camphene is the only one I see that meets those criteria. It is also described as earthy, woody, musky and pungent which all a little too much for coincidence I suspect. Im desperate to clear this up either way so I'm going to go to a shop and smell some camphor oil burning tomorrow.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Synergy

Synergy

Synergy

Nothing in Nature is isolated.
Its Westerners who think they can find the ine essense of something, ignorant to the fact of one of Nature's Laws - Interbeing.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
So Camphene doesn't produce a camphor flavor?
My OG x Mango Haze is incense, but not Frankie.
It has mega Myrcene.
How about Incensol?

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Structure and properties of constituents in hexane extract of frankincense
Toshio Hasegawa , Akiko Kikuchi ,Hideki Saitoh & Hideo Yamada
Pages 593-598 | Received 31 Jan 2012, Accepted 16 Aug 2012, Published online: 08 Nov 2012
Download citation
https://doi.org/10.1080/10412905.2012.742468

Abstract
Frankincense has a unique odor and is an important fragrance material for Japanese incense. The constituents of frankincense vary according to the species of tree from which the resin is derived. The aroma profile of the frankincense used in Japanese incense showed that the important odor components were diterpenes, and incensole and its derivatives. These compounds have not been previously recognized as important odor compounds, and the relative stereochemistry of the diterpenes has not been assigned. We investigated the stereochemical structures of these compounds through synthetic studies with respect to 2. Incensole epoxide was isolated as pure crystals, and its structure was determined by single-crystal X-ray diffraction. The stereochemistry of the diterpenes was assigned by synthetic methods. Incensole and incensole acetate in the hexane extracts gradually oxidized to their epoxides, although this was not observed in the isolated pure compounds. These results indicate that incensole epoxides are not primary constituents of frankincense, but secondary products.

42.5% diterpenes are found in Frankincense.Incensole Acetate for example is found in B.carterii, B.sacra and B.papyrifera.I've got the resin of those 3.
Is there analysis of diterpenes besides cannabinoids, phytol found in Cannabis?

JohnnyChicago

but I was talking about terps, not look. terps are very similar for nevilles, mangohaze, old timer haze or thh. so thats why I wonder you think seedsman haze is so different.

Have you ever experienced rootbeer in MNS, Ace,TH or OT Hazes? Not me. 95% of my Seedsmans females were sweet, very rootbeerish and the smoke was earthy peppery incense. There are to much contradicting things written on this subject on forums. I do prefer grow out seeds to make my own opinion.

Where I'm finding similar terps to the 90s Hazes is in the progeny of 2 Seedsmans males.

Spaventa

Veteran
I meaning the PURE o.Haze...

Indoor hybrids are a more profitable investment of seed companies time and other resources. Only the most passionate, haze heads like Ace seeds, Tom Hill, Sam S and a few other boutique breeders are committed to releasing proper Hazes.
I suspect a lot of the breeders who sell this or that haze don't even make them with pure hazes - NL or Skunk haze crosses, crossed more likely.

Latest posts

Latest posts