What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

bigherb

Veteran
I have loved Haze since I first visited Holland in 1994. I have had the great pleasure of growing NL#5 x Haze, Kali Mist (the female is indeed a 16 week Haze), Super Silver Haze, Neville's Haze (directly from from Neville after a chess game) and Original Haze from the one and only man who brought Haze to Holland.

I will post more photos as well as cannabinoid and terpene tests over the next year.

PS: Thank you sam for all you have done, were it not for Haze and Skunk #1, the world of growing and toking would not be the same.

Original Haze
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76064&pictureid=1824246&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

"Neville's Haze"
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76064&pictureid=1824248&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Another shot of "Neville's Haze"
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76064&pictureid=1824256&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Original Haze in Veg
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76064&pictureid=1824247&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Welcome brother

It’s great to have you joining the IC Fam . I’m very Happy to see your love of Haze and first post in my thread

I’m curious if your familiar with the Frankincense/ Incense trait in Haze . If Soo What strains are most commonly holding this trait in Your Experiences?

Also curious if you know what terpene/s are responsible for the Frankincense/Incense trait?

If you have browsed the thread you’ll see I’m a very passionate Haze lover and Frankincense is what I’ve experienced in my ATF Haze

Much Respect

1luvbigherb

OldCoolSativa

I have loved Haze since I first visited Holland in 1994. I have had the great pleasure of growing NL#5 x Haze, Kali Mist (the female is indeed a 16 week Haze), Super Silver Haze, Neville's Haze (directly from from Neville after a chess game) and Original Haze from the one and only man who brought Haze to Holland.

I will post more photos as well as cannabinoid and terpene tests over the next year.

Cool! I'll look forward to reading your posts. I hope your test results will include THCV, because I haven't seen many THCV tests for hazes, and I'd like to know how it correlates with effects.

nattyroots

Amazing thread. Wish I could read it all?

Is there any credible evidence of the Dutch having developed their own hybrids before the arrival of genetics from the US via Sam and/or others?

Also, the Hazes you find in coffeeshops in Amsterdam, are they reliably real haze? Although the price difference seems to reflect longer flowering times, I'm always wary of false advertisements. And, all the buds seem very tight - which is not how I remember the more sativa leaning plants i've seen.

Any insight will be incredibly helpful.

cheers

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I wonder about that seedsmans haze. if its right to call her original. although original is very relative term. because it seems to me that it represents only green/gold side of OH. no colour, no nanners late in flowering :D and no keepers in 5 packs. some narrow selection.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Amazing thread. Wish I could read it all?

Is there any credible evidence of the Dutch having developed their own hybrids before the arrival of genetics from the US via Sam and/or others?

Also, the Hazes you find in coffeeshops in Amsterdam, are they reliably real haze? Although the price difference seems to reflect longer flowering times, I'm always wary of false advertisements. And, all the buds seem very tight - which is not how I remember the more sativa leaning plants i've seen.

Any insight will be incredibly helpful.

cheers

in coffeeshops they have only hybrids mostly. and that is not haze, even the hybrid that contains most haze, nevilles haze, is not simply haze.. and really most of real haze lovers will tell you that its very strong, but not "nice" as original haze. this "nice" quality makes it really special.

JohnnyChicago

Seedsman Original Haze has been heavily inbred, but it's original for sure.
Read Sam's posts in this thread and you will find your answers.

Some of his statements that I do remember:

"Original Haze is breeding material"
"Take a Haze male and cross it with your favourite clone "

Me too did not listen to him and searched for a female keeper plant, that I did never find.
Had a fasciated one, that was nice enough to keep, but not what I was looking for.

JohnnyChicago

Panama X Original Haze
13weeks flowering time, 100% sativa, Haze bud structure, high and taste.

(2nd pic is GDP x O. Haze)
picture.php

picture.php

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
very nice plant. I read it, and he said he tried to preserve as many phenotypes as possible, so I think that to call strictly green line by name OH is not accurate. I smoked all of those hybrids, like skunkhaze,ssh, nevilles, nlhaze and while I loved it, none of them are good as OH. for me. Im smoking glue or sourD and I don't think my green haze is less strong. so either you were really unlucky or I don't understand. I sent tom hill haze beans to my friend in Argentina who is growing seedsman haze. and he said that both are very similar. tom hill´s more robust, seedsman more sweet. and seedsman line has no color like you said. I respect your experience, but I don't think you can apply it at the whole genepool of so called original haze. if you really read this thread, you know that momentary consensus is that original haze is punto rojo genetics mostly. and if I know rojo is colour, and not green :D just kidding, no offense.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
@MAHA KALA,i was unlucky,i tried only the version of hfs and tfd,and they were a hibrid,but i remember in early 2000(maybe 03 or 04) the version of nirvana,were old seeds,only one plant,male,with a classic look haze,light green,tiny leaf(i cross it with maui wowie,but i lost the seeds...ot1 haze is a great strain,i dont know if its related to sam's haze,but a good herb...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I smoked all of those hybrids, like skunkhaze,ssh, nevilles, nlhaze and while I loved it, none of them are good as OH. for me.

I sprouted 8 original haze x skunk#1 backcross, got 7 females, and one is certainly an original haze throwback. Almost 6 feet tall at 5 weeks old, just barely showing small buds, where all the rest are much shorter, nothing at all like the freakishly tall and stretching one. I'd estimate easily 16 weeks needed to mature the stretcher. Since i did get one male, i plan to pollinate part of this extremely lanky/hazey looking one. So even if it is just so-so, its a good direction to lean in.

Happy Times

I sprouted 8 original haze x skunk#1 backcross, got 7 females, and one is certainly an original haze throwback. Almost 6 feet tall at 5 weeks old, just barely showing small buds, where all the rest are much shorter, nothing at all like the freakishly tall and stretching one. I'd estimate easily 16 weeks needed to mature the stretcher. Since i did get one male, i plan to pollinate part of this extremely lanky/hazey looking one. So even if it is just so-so, its a good direction to lean in.

6 feet at 5 weeks from seed?!? If so that is crazy. That makes me think of this interesting training technique I just saw recently

https://www.picbon.com/media/1442155700833749567_3317258611

JohnnyChicago

very nice plant. I read it, and he said he tried to preserve as many phenotypes as possible, so I think that to call strictly green line by name OH is not accurate. I smoked all of those hybrids, like skunkhaze,ssh, nevilles, nlhaze and while I loved it, none of them are good as OH. for me. Im smoking glue or sourD and I don't think my green haze is less strong. so either you were really unlucky or I don't understand. I sent tom hill haze beans to my friend in Argentina who is growing seedsman haze. and he said that both are very similar. tom hill´s more robust, seedsman more sweet. and seedsman line has no color like you said. I respect your experience, but I don't think you can apply it at the whole genepool of so called original haze. if you really read this thread, you know that momentary consensus is that original haze is punto rojo genetics mostly. and if I know rojo is colour, and not green :D just kidding, no offense.

Don't get me wrong, I love Original Haze.One of the best highs ever! I would not have made thousends of OH seeds if I did not like it. I only haven't found the full incensey keeper female I was looking for, nor the floral soapy kind of Original Haze with the strong cerebral high, like the one that was sold in CS's around 89-90'. But found 8 nice females that I really enjoyed and 3 had keeper potential. Where I found what I was looking for was in the males progeny. There I quickly scored extremly incensey phenos and in the Oldtimers X OH seeds I have been able to find the very strong cerebral high.
I couldn't be happier.

And for me, Tom Hills Haze and Seedsmans are not similar. Have not seen anything in Seedsmans OH that ressembles to the pics of THH posted on forums. Terpenes and effect seem also different. The breeder himself says that there is no incense to be found in his Haze, and 93' too I did not find any incense in the pack of Positronics Haze I had.

Just sharing my modest experience with different Original Hazes I had over the time. Take it or leave it :biggrin:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
my friend told me that, very good grower. icmag member. I didnt grow seedsmans version.. but if its same haze as in titans haze, terps are almost identical with terps of green thh. same haze.. that sounds like good cross that oth x seedsman haze. hope you will show us those beauties. keep it up.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

skunkhaze is variety on its own. the look means nothing bro. look at these very narrow leaf skunkhaze. looks like pure haze, yet it doesn't smoke like that. but its super good. good luck with it.
picture.php

G

Gr33nSanta

following...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
skunkhaze, not haze :D

Yes of course, I understand what a cross is, and also know about backcrossing. Thanks for sharing that picture, those leaves have a very skunky shape, not like the haze style really. They are skinny though.

When you do a back cross, such as this, ohaze x skunk#1, x ohaze x skunk#1 the progeny should come out at about 50% like the mom, and 25% lean towards the grandparent, 25% towards the grandmother. Usually you need to grow a lot of seeds out to find the grandparents. I only had 7 females, but as I was saying, 6 of them are much more leaning towards the hybrid, with a couple quite short. But the other one is twice as tall as any other, and extremely hazey looking. It has a very different look overall from the others, it looks like a haze plant really, and it will take at least 16 weeks to get close to finish I'd say. The other at a similar age, has large buds on it, and could finish in less than ten weeks or maybe ten.

I also have a pack of tom hill haze for sometime in the future.