What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I did a pretty big Haze run some years ago. I ran many from many seedbanks.

I do remember some interesting Hazes in Tom Hills gear. Especially that metalshop flavored one. It was good. Some plants I threw away.

Someone mentioned Oldtime Haze. I do remember that I got a real good one of those. It tasted sweet and was real strong. I still like to run at least a handful of Haze plants each year. You just never know what you might get

bigherb

Veteran
What I really want is the best pure haze for breeding, not results, so not how it grows, just a pure liniage.

Seedsman Original Haze Or the Flying Dutchman original Haze is what your looking for .Ot Haze might be another option, I believe the Old timers Haze to be original Haze from another source Soo same genes different selections . Tom Hill Haze i believe is further inbred then the above mentioned Soo maybe not best for breeding .

You cannot trust most seedbanks nowadays, oldest stock is the best place to look . Homegrown fantasy is not suggested a friend and true Haze head had nothing good to say about the line .

Nevilles Haze is great to smoke but not pure Haze , you will find interesting things in crosses but not the same as a direct Haze cross

Best wishes

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
ACE still carries Oldtimers Haze, which is supposed to be pure. I haven't grown it yet, though I have a pack.

Thing is, all these original Hazes come with some sort of caveat, "need selection to find the best", "probably better for breeding than smoking", "beware of hay after 20 week flowerings", blah, blah, etc, etc.

I often wonder if one may be better off just cross-breeding some pure exotic landraces and/or proven exotic hybrids, which are easier to find:- say Columbian x Lao, Kerala x Mullum, or whatever inspries you. After all, that's what "Haze" was, to start with, just a constantly updated super sativa, nothing as stabilised as a cultivar or strain.

Good luck, anyway.

=== PS

What I mean to say, is that it sounds to me as if you need a massive plantation in order to do meaningful Haze breeding. Sadly, most of us don't have such a thing.

Gert

Sup brother hope all is well long time no see

As for the Haze being a super sativa well all the info is here in this thread . I closed that chapter long ago with my True origins article and Sams has touched on his side of the story with Thai and South Indian

The Thai and S Indiana Kerala X O Haze crosses were made by my neighbor, R.L. the junior O Haze grower that made the O Haze poster, as I did not grow much Haze until the next year. So anyway it is now pretty hard to tell but what most have was pure Colombian, green, purple, lime green, silver, magenta, blueish, I saw all this before Haze had anything besides Colombian in it . A little bit has Thai, and even less has S Indian

I have found that my line is fairly inbred as it was not out-crossed except for the Thai and S Indian one year, and that was just a few plants. Most are just pure Original Haze Colombian

Quotes above from Sams , Check post 1443 for the Full long version

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
Just wanted to say thanks and much love to all for sharing there passion and experience with Haze . All your contributions in this thread are appreciated pics , thoughts , Etc

Thanks to G for the birth and thanks to Sams for preserving and spreading

Why is this thread not a sticky anymore?

1luvbigherb

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Hello Bigherb!yes,fantaseeds haze isnt pure,and i'm sure its impossible to find pure o.haze from the modern seedbank(as you say)...
A little OT about Oldtimer haze,it's a great strain,i have few package on my freezer,my personal opinion is
-it come from sam stock(if you see old catalogue you can find haze 1,2,3....and also new year haze...
-or pheraps there was a strain called haze in California,like a mullum madness in Australia...
But i'm not american and I was not born yet,so it's only a fantasy....
Sorry for Off Topic

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I am 100 miles from where the Haze Brothers lived. I used to vacation in Rio Del Mar, right across the freeway and north a few miles or so from there.
One thing I do remember was a caper some guy pulled off by bringing tons of Columbian Red in to the Oakland harbor. The weed was dank. It was dark red, and almost black. It was partially seeded with little black seeds. We sprouted plenty, but never grew any to mature plants. It must have been about 1973-1975.
It went for 40$ an ounce, weighed on an old triple beam. I wonder if some of that is in the Haze genes.....

bigherb

Veteran
I am 100 miles from where the Haze Brothers lived. I used to vacation in Rio Del Mar, right across the freeway and north a few miles or so from there.
One thing I do remember was a caper some guy pulled off by bringing tons of Columbian Red in to the Oakland harbor. The weed was dank. It was dark red, and almost black. It was partially seeded with little black seeds. We sprouted plenty, but never grew any to mature plants. It must have been about 1973-1975.
It went for 40$ an ounce, weighed on an old triple beam. I wonder if some of that is in the Haze genes.....

Sup Unc

Always great to hear your experiences with strains of yesteryear seems the Reds were stand outs to you . I'm curious to hear more about the taste and effects of this CRed

Scorpion long ago told me about the CRed from 1975 he got in New Orleans he spoke highly of it and said it was very Haze like with that Incense trait . From my research I thought CRed to be a lowland and more Stoney then High effect . Whether the CRed has Punto Rojo genetics in the strain I don't know . But I do know no Colombian Red was in the Santa Cruz Original Haze it was Punto Rojo from 69

1luvbigherb

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
It did have a couch lock effect, and super red eyes. It also had a tippy head high. I remember thinking the smoke looked blue.
They had some special way od curing it. Like maybe they buried it for while. It had a thick rich earthy flavor.

bigherb

Veteran
It did have a couch lock effect, and super red eyes. It also had a tippy head high. I remember thinking the smoke looked blue.
They had some special way od curing it. Like maybe they buried it for while. It had a thick rich earthy flavor.

It does sound special both ends of the spectrum trippy n knock down

I missed a lot but its great to hear old stories

I hope you do another Haze run and possibly find our Frankies

1luvbigherb

Happy Times

Gert

Sup brother hope all is well long time no see

As for the Haze being a super sativa well all the info is here in this thread . I closed that chapter long ago with my True origins article and Sams has touched on his side of the story with Thai and South Indian

Quotes above from Sams , Check post 1443 for the Full long version

1luvbigherb

True origins article? I’m curious, any chance you could post a link?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Sam,

You said, "I have done this and seen where 16% THC Mom Skunk 1, X a 10% THC O Haze gives progeny in the 20's for THC%, try it, you will see what I mean."

How did you determine the THC % of the O Haze in that cross?
Was the O Haze a true male or did you use something like a reversed female that tested at 10%

Thank you.

bestothebest

I believe with the right chemicals you can reverse a male to female, you cant smoke the bud due to the chemicals, but it shows you the traits of the male in female form.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
frieds Col. Rojo Haze cut isn't pure, but has a lot of the high traits many enjoy from the era.............

haze on..........

led05

Chasing The Present
How do I get a leaf to test the DNA of the fasciated stem plant? Get your post count to over 50 so I can PM you.
I bet the mother I used to make the seed was also fasciated, I like her and used her a lot. When a small clone she acts normal when over 3 feet tall she fasciates every time with the top of the central stalk. I have had her for over 20 years. Not many reported fasciated progeny.

-SamS

Sam, what’s the angle on fasciated plants, why so much interest, I have a few reliable ones that are of haze origins, I personally dislike it, that particular aspect

side note and perhaps redundant, there is no WAY, original haze had Thai, how many people here have ever grown thai, it dominates when breeding and its not old school haze, come on, maybe new but not old....

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] .............................
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
"obviously you can trust the banks"

wish I had your confidence.......cause I lost the word "trust" shortly after birth.........

ganj on.........

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Sincerely,I stopped trusting seed banks years ago....,with few exception...but I can't trust those who want to sell a hibrids for "pure sativa" or worse,landrace...