What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

bigherb

Veteran
I would also love to hear the deets on this one.
Haze#5 x Haze/Sk#1 is my next seed purchase, no doubt.

sup brother

I thought this would be of interest to the Haze heads lol

The first 3/4 Haze hybrid release from Sams

While I'd love to have all the CC hybrids , This latest interest me most . I really wish a fresh batch of OHaze would be released as well , but sometimes I ask for a lot

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
I love it when this thread gets bumped! Got a couple small Haze #19/Skunk 1's in flower now. Only on day 11, so not much to see yet.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43453&pictureid=1664587&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43453&pictureid=1664589&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43453&pictureid=1664584&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Would also love to hear about this Haze #5, sounds interesting. :)

Looking good keep us posted on your progress

Where the heck are you guys getting these crazy Sam seeds like haze 5,,,wtf have I missed something? Please do tell

This is from stock released threw chimeras new project. From my understanding there is a joint project. I don't know specifics , but it's said we will shortly know the details

Quotes from chimera below

Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Sam and I are working on some projects, when they bear fruit you'll all be the first to know.
Quote:
When the advertising funds arrive to IC we'll have banners and a new forum and all info will be shared, however until then we're not going to spam the site as per the TOU.

1luvbigherb

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does that mean I'm going to join a new forum? Or is it a sub forum here ?

If I have to join a new forum just to be in on this then heck...looks like I better think of a new password

Morphote

Veteran
Does that mean I'm going to join a new forum? Or is it a sub forum here ?

If I have to join a new forum just to be in on this then heck...looks like I better think of a new password

No need for a new password. Sub forum here coming soon.

M.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
So if I wanted the closes cannabis to the original haze of old, I should just grow out some Columbian Punto Rojo?

Punto rojo is probably a close second. If you want the real deal California haze you'll have to grow Original Haze.

bigherb

Veteran
So if I wanted the closes cannabis to the original haze of old, I should just grow out some Columbian Punto Rojo?

IMO CBG Punto Rojo is probably the best representation of Santa Cruz OHaze . Big heavy colas , incredibly vigorous , several phenos from Gold to magenta and all in between . The line displays all of the characteristics I've been told the 70's Haze was . The OHaze from Holland is Sams preservation work . As he said he was not done working it . I'm not saying that PR is a better choice than TFD or Seedsman . But from all the reports and pictures the recent release of Punto Rojo is on point with the stories I've been told of Santa Cruz OHaze

1luvbigherb

E

el boyo

Looking good keep us posted on your progress

This is from stock released threw chimeras new project. From my understanding there is a joint project. I don't know specifics , but it's said we will shortly know the details

Quotes from chimera below

Sam and I are working on some projects, when they bear fruit you'll all be the first to know.
Quote:
When the advertising funds arrive to IC we'll have banners and a new forum and all info will be shared, however until then we're not going to spam the site as per the TOU.

1luvbigherb

word..this is good to hear... i love going deeper down the haze hole....

Kush_Kloud

IMO CBG Punto Rojo is probably the best representation of Santa Cruz OHaze . Big heavy colas , incredibly vigorous , several phenos from Gold to magenta and all in between . The line displays all of the characteristics I've been told the 70's Haze was . The OHaze from Holland is Sams preservation work . As he said he was not done working it . I'm not saying that PR is a better choice than TFD or Seedsman . But from all the reports and pictures the recent release of Punto Rojo is on point with the stories I've been told of Santa Cruz OHaze

1luvbigherb

Hey, bigherb your right. I'm sure Columbian Punto Rojo would be a best representation of the Santa Cruz original Haze. For didn't the original Columbian mix Santa Cruz haze get crossed later on with Thai, then after Kerala cannabis? As the story goes. Maybe if you get some really old Columbian red point seeds from some Columbian grower or old seed collectors, you could find something similar to the original Santa Cruz Haze. From what I have seen from others they look similar. Other than Sam the Skunkmans original haze being more green and well bred to some degree for large calyx's. It would be nice if someone could grow out 10-50 thousand of real Columbian red point to select for the best representation of the Santa Cruz haze. Of course that would require a large greenhouse and alot of soil and amendments, and alot of time maybe a few years. But that would be a paradise for haze lovers! Maybe it would be best to make such careful plant selections in the Columbian highlands in a large greenhouse. I hope one day this would become a reality and not just fantasy and figment of my imagination.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Haze Cross

Haze Cross

picture.php

GG4 x Headband x Nevilles Haze x Mango Haze.

This picture was taken today

bigherb

Veteran
Hey, bigherb your right. I'm sure Columbian Punto Rojo would be a best representation of the Santa Cruz original Haze. For didn't the original Columbian mix Santa Cruz haze get crossed later on with Thai, then after Kerala cannabis? As the story goes. Maybe if you get some really old Columbian red point seeds from some Columbian grower or old seed collectors, you could find something similar to the original Santa Cruz Haze. From what I have seen from others they look similar. Other than Sam the Skunkmans original haze being more green and well bred to some degree for large calyx's. It would be nice if someone could grow out 10-50 thousand of real Columbian red point to select for the best representation of the Santa Cruz haze. Of course that would require a large greenhouse and alot of soil and amendments, and alot of time maybe a few years. But that would be a paradise for haze lovers! Maybe it would be best to make such careful plant selections in the Columbian highlands in a large greenhouse. I hope one day this would become a reality and not just fantasy and figment of my imagination.

Well if you refer to Sams story in 72 RL , crossed OHaze with abit of Thai and even less S.Indian . But the story has been told abit different threw out the years . I've touched on all of this in the past right here in this thread

IMO too many people believe what they read . I miss the old heads the true OG's who can speak from experience. Brother Bluebeard comes too mind , he was the first I recall to insist the Haze he grew was a Lumbo and pointed out the real deal oldschool lumbos were even longer flowering than thais

I couldn't imagine a better representation of Punto Rojo than Charlie Garcia offering. I believe it is from old pure NLD , true Lumbo . Real deal Punto Rojo

Sams Has spoke on possibly doing a large Haze / Lumbo grow one day in the future and selecting the best from very large numbers . I think he is capable, but is he willing?

We need some fresh OHaze stock , it would be nice to have some new stock from the legend

1luvbigherb

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran

1luvbigherb

What it comes down to is which era of Santa Cruz haze you consider the real deal. ;)

Punto rojo is the direct ancestor of Original Haze, but was soon crossed with other Colombian lines like the magenta one in California. It could have been just a few plants just like with the Thai and Kerala later on. This is the Haze that people got to know in later years.

Original Haze on the other hand actually is Santa Cruz haze. It's only a later version with some Thai (which can't be a bad thing) and possibly a hint of Kerala influence but we are just repeating ourselves here :)

Personally I don't really care if either one is exactly like the old haze, as long as it get's me high in a proper way. I don't even know what to expect from a pure Haze. Indian Haze was mellow.. yet active, social and psychedelic.

bigherb

Veteran
What it comes down to is which era of Santa Cruz haze you consider the real deal. ;)

Punto rojo is the direct ancestor of Original Haze, but was soon crossed with other Colombian lines like the magenta one in California. It could have been just a few plants just like with the Thai and Kerala later on. This is the Haze that people got to know in later years.

Original Haze on the other hand actually is Santa Cruz haze. It's only a later version with some Thai (which can't be a bad thing) and possibly a hint of Kerala influence but we are just repeating ourselves here :)

Personally I don't really care if either one is exactly like the old haze, as long as it get's me high in a proper way. I don't even know what to expect from a pure Haze. Indian Haze was mellow.. yet active, social and psychedelic.

As you said we are repeating ourselves

I'm not sure what you or anyone else considers Real Santa Cruz OHaze . But what I was told , what G the originator has said is Punto Rojo was crossed to itself to create OHaze from the initial cross many many seeds were created they were used for the duration of its existence along with volunteers seeds of OHaze . No other Colombians were crossed No Thai No S.Indian ,pure Punto Rojo

Sams was not around in those days , part of Sams post 1200 below makes it most clear than ever before . I've touched in this in post 1203 in response to Sams post 1200 in this thread . The birth was 69 RL was not there nor Sams

I gave seeds to both the Original Haze growers in 1972 and also later, One used Thai and S Indian with his Haze in the very early 70's. The other grew the Thai but decided it was not as good as Haze and did not use it. The very first Original Haze was a crop of both green, lime green, purple, and other colors, all from Columbian, after that I am not sure and anyone that says they are, is just fooling themselves. One of the Haze growers RL told me a different story then the Original Haze guy that did it first up in the SC mountains and then in the next few years moved down to right by my house, less then a block away, the other Haze grower RL, who put out the OH poster lived a block the other side of my house. I had a friend "J" that used to help the SC mountain Haze grower, he was also a good friend of RCC, he told me all about the early Original Haze I never saw, as I got back to SC in early 1972. They both told me different stories, I did not care so much it was the Cannabis I was interested in.
SamS

IMO Any Haze with Thai or S.Indian blood is not the Santa Cruz OHaze it's a SC OHaze hybrid

Things can be taken differently , but words cannot be changed

1luvbigherb

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Things can be taken differently , but words cannot be changed

1luvbigherb

Exactly. We are in agreement on the facts, the rest is just points of view. To me anything haze that SamS brought from America is Santa Cruz Haze. If there's Thai or Kerala in there it stil got there in Santa Cruz. That's as far as I need to take it in my head chronologically.

Anyone grew both haze and punto rojo? How do they compare potencywise?

window

Veteran
Am I right in thinking that Original Haze started to get more well known after RL released the poster in 76 and sold ounces in redwood boxes?
What year was the Thai and South Indian added?
Edit....72 was the year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts