What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

harvestreaper

Veteran
,,,, if i were a passer by reading this thread i would think smoking haze creates over sensitive pmt sufferers lol ,,exuse me while i light up a hybrid of sams an nevs work
picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we grew a pack of jack herer about 12-15yrs ago n it was good smoke...but... we grew out a cheap/cheap nirvana seed of jock horror which was outstanding, but being old n stupid didn't take a cutting.. went thru 2+ packs of jock looking for that lady.. never found her... then bought a pack of j.herer looking for her, didn't find it there either...

harvestreaper

Veteran
we had some jackeera when it first came out i remember large yeilding fruity phenos that were quite weak and smaller denser pineapple phenos real frosty and good potency but lower yeilders i guess it was the denser pineapple phenos used in c99 they were nice but not as populer as the haze 5 or nl or sk haze in my area so it didnt survive

TheDarkStorm

,,,, if i were a passer by reading this thread i would think smoking haze creates over sensitive pmt sufferers lol ,,exuse me while i light up a hybrid of sams an nevs work
View Image

Fantastic picture harvestreaper..looks very hazey

Also mad mac thank you for the answer...I was hopein sativied would have given the answer.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
NHz x OHz & Doors x THH

NHz x OHz & Doors x THH

well to get the devil out of the nevil ...
i'll crossed her with the 90' OHz boy...
was also old NHz gifted by a friend... only 6 made it from 18...
two great NHz boy's too... used to pollinate the two best OHz cuts with them... will see who is better next year... here a test 11/13 from seed..
was just a germ test and i could not kill her...

NHz x OHz
picture.php

picture.php

and The Doors x THH ... also a germ test...
picture.php

next year will only grow my crosses...
and a few THH & OHz of course ;-)
happy growin'
M.:tiphat:

P.S. very tasty looking bud @harvestreaper!
well done.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
@Bud Jones:

That’s great, I’m sure that must have been an interesting meeting. Let me be very clear I never had anything against Nevil the person himself, and I do appreciate his part in it all. It’s just the image people nowadays create of what happened, making a lot more of it than what it is, and the misinformed resulting decisions others make based on that.

Preserving genetics from a few seeds of an unstable variety is an oxymoron. Unless you had more than few, don’t fret it, look towards the future. It’s just skunk haze x NL5haze, same ol’ genetics you can find in more than a few today. Or get some Jack Herer. When that was introduced it felt like we finally had something new on the menu. Pricey but worth it. When Nevil and Arjen created GHS they popped a ton of NL#5haze to create a similar variety to match that success. $$$$$

Shantibaba and Arjen and there partners created GHS 4 people Nev did not work at or for GHS but he did sell his work to GHS on consignment.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I wonder how many people who post their version of history actually ever read the old catalogs, let alone were alive in the early 90s at the time and smoked and sold tons of it.

People make it so more complicated than it is. When Sam came to NL, Nevil and others crossed everything we already had in NL with it. In Nevil’s case mostly Northern Light and HP. Skunk #1 was the #1 weed available, it was synonymous with weed, because it did well outdoors and indoors. Before that we had crappy afghanis, kush, pure thai, purple power but above all hash.

Nevil chucked skunk with NL5, haze with NL5, early pearl x skunk x NL5 (silver pearl), silver pearl with haze, skunk with afghani (super skunk), early pearl with skunk. All extremely obvious crosses. Everything was skunkified, everything was crossed with what Sam brought over, especially skunk because haze took too long to flower. Plus haze smelled like a mix of hay and birdshit cause people would harvest it too soon.

Shanti, Nevil, and Arjen were basically disgruntled ex-Sensi employees who wanted the same commercial success Ben Dronkers had (who bought Nevil’s and did what many attribute to the wrong people). Just as now, when others started seed shops (often based on packs they got at the only seedshop at the time...) people wanted the original, which we all knew were available at sensi. When sensi lost a growspace it became a great way for others to claim sensi lost the originals and they had the real originals. When Shanti split off to create msn the same tactic was used again. We have the originals, they don’t. Others in Amsterdam took less effort to not look like another sensi-clone and simply stopped disclosing the origin of their seeds. Again others travelled the world looking for landraces and still ended up crossing skunk and haze. And of course, the mysterious bag seeds...

The people disrespecting Sam based on reading romanticized fiction fueled by bias, fanboyness and secondhanded spite don’t know what they’re saying and I guess often not what they are smoking either.

For the record, I’m not suggesting sensi has originals or great stuff today, that’s besides the point. The efforts and results many make today by far exceed the chucking for money people did here in NL. Getting a supposed original or something based on it does not equal better.

Nah, it wasn’t his lines that were crap, it was the cup that was crap and meaningless. Nevil was Highlife’s first and favorite advertiser.

Ben had a Coffee shop called Sensi Smile. [In Rotterdam] There was not 1 shop in Holland selling Nevil's seeds while he ran the company. He is the only one who sold his seeds. Once Ben bought it he opened the first Sensi Seeds shop in Adam and a Sense Smile coffee shop next door. Every strain Ben took over from Nevil went to shit and only got semi revived when Nevil went back and worked for him to get his old clones back. He created Super Silver ..got his cuts back and quit. SSH became the base for the whole new wave of good weed . Amnesia, Original Glue, Girl scout etc etc Bens stuff has had mostly crap reviews ever since. That is the truth and direct from a person that worked with Nev for years.

led05

Chasing The Present
I can grow it myself and I like to have more seeds or course but I can't reproduce the tropics at home but commercial dry sift haze imported legally would be the best thing ever imo.

but we are inching ever closer to being able to my friend, if we try, try, try hard enough...... the little engine that could.... ;) - Peace

Limeygreen

Veteran
Ledo, you are a tad bit closer than I am, if I end up with a windfall at some point I will be doing a better job at it, taller ceilings, temperature control in the winter and bright bright light. If I can buy clean product from the tropics that makes a lot more economical sense imo depending on the price but labor of love is much better I will have to agree.

Raho

Veteran
Found this old Poll

Found this old Poll

Found this old poll here from 9 years ago:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HAZE STRAINS ~ Buying Today[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Out of whats available on the market for sale these days which of these would you buy ?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Nice - Neville's Haze
Mr. Nice - SSH or Mango Haze
Mr. Nice - La Nina
Ace - Oldtimers Haze
CannaBioGen - Destroyer
Haze x Skunk#1
Seedsman - Original Haze
Tom Hill - Haze
F .. It give me C99 & call it a Day
*Other & Do Tell
[/FONT]
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=190349

Thought people might find the results interesting or amusing.
:tiphat:

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
no doubt
1. Seedsman
2. Tom Hill
3. NHz (only the pre 2002 line)
in that order...
the rest is for youngsters...
M.

Your opinion is appreciated

What is your thoughts / experience with old timers Haze ?

Do you have any experience with NYC Haze / Cuban black Haze / piff ?

1luvbigherb

MadMac

far beyond driven...
What is your thoughts / experience with old timers Haze ?
good but not exceptional ...
for those too long flowering for indoor is the end effect/yield not worth...
Seedsman has shorter flowering time and effect/yield are outstanding.
OTHz misses something that's there in THH and OHz.... OTHz is more a pure landrace.... while Seedsman is much more selected hence the many amazing pheno's that pop up...
sure you can find some in OTHz too but not so easy as in Seedsman OHz...

Do you have any experience with NYC Haze / Cuban black Haze / piff ?
not yet... ;-)

and there is also a difference between Seedsman and the old OHz from 90'
Seedsman is more clear and not racy @ all
the old OHz is more like THH...
strong and sometimes blurred view.. but also amazing...
i'm surprised every day again ... taste high and duration are all improving...
around xmas i will do better smoke report...

JohnnyChicago

no doubt
1. Seedsman
2. Tom Hill
3. NHz (only the pre 2002 line)
in that order...
the rest is for youngsters...
M.

Interesting to see that you put Seedsman Haze at 1st position MadMac. I would too. All the time. But would place OTH inbetween the 3 or at least 3rd, together with NHz. Also depends of what you are looking for in the Haze.

Seedsman OHaze and OTH, I would only recommand to experienced and passionate growers, who are not in hurry and who know what kind of high and potency to expect. And for straight frankincense, don't try these two and if you want, then grow enough of them. 10 packs each, at least, and pray, every day :biggrin:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I found a pheno with a marked incense aroma in (purple ot1haze x thai) x (green ot1 haze x thai) f2, but only in one plant,purple pheno

bigherb

Veteran
good but not exceptional ...
for those too long flowering for indoor is the end effect/yield not worth...
Seedsman has shorter flowering time and effect/yield are outstanding.
OTHz misses something that's there in THH and OHz.... OTHz is more a pure landrace.... while Seedsman is much more selected hence the many amazing pheno's that pop up...
sure you can find some in OTHz too but not so easy as in Seedsman OHz...

not yet... ;-)

and there is also a difference between Seedsman and the old OHz from 90'
Seedsman is more clear and not racy @ all
the old OHz is more like THH...
strong and sometimes blurred view.. but also amazing...
i'm surprised every day again ... taste high and duration are all improving...
around xmas i will do better smoke report...

I love love love this post

The description of affects are exciting and great insight

You evoke my Haze passion, you bring excitement and joy of this special plant

IMO what could be missing from OTH is Sams selection, I know his goal was only to preserve . But I believe who would know the true representation of Original Haze better than him , someone who was there and experienced damn near every pheno . IMO His seeds would express some of this

I’m Soo very excited to hear detailed descriptions of each pheno ... taste / affect , I’d love to see dry bud pics as well

I’m curious to know if you are familiar with what has been reported as the four main phenos ( shown in the OHaze poster )... silver / blue / magenta / Gold ? I know the magenta from reports is only alive in THH and OT Haze

I’m most curious about the Gold phenos . The Frankies - the best NYC Haze /Best Haze I’ve smoked . Has that golden brown look with a frankincense taste / aroma

What is your experience with Frankincense in Haze ?

1luvbigherb

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
One of my local old buddy.s brought me a present.

Not pure haze, but pure Sativa. Columbian B#3 X Haze Male C.

Its got a realy strong Terpentine smell slight sweet spice.

Very postive happy high, strong, long lasting,and not edgy.

Not anouf to test the cieling.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20191204_095932.jpg
    20191204_095932.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 32

bigherb

Veteran
One of my local old buddy.s brought me a present.

Not pure haze, but pure Sativa. Columbian B#3 X Haze Male C.

Its got a realy strong Terpentine smell slight sweet spice.

Very postive happy high, strong, long lasting,and not edgy.

Not anouf to test the cieling.

View Image

Looks sexy

I assume HzC is alive considering this cross, can you confirm that ?

If Soo That’s great to know , curious how a selected Original Haze would cross to HzC . I know SamS and Nevil suggested against this but it still peaks my interest

Can you tell us any info about the colombian . I’d assume B is C. black

1luvbigherb

Latest posts

Latest posts