What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I don't think it's as simple as making a cake: first of all the recipe, thanks to Bigherb's precious work, would seem to be pure Colombian, but there is also the theory of 4-way hybrid...
Furthermore 40 years have passed, puntorojo is no longer the same ...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
What would be the point of doing an updated Original Haze line today? Tom Hill has already tried - Was it much of an improvement? Oldtimer's Haze and Original Haze already have a small but dedicated following - no complaints from them. Plenty of potent and commercially viable Haze hybrids for those who like a more balanced high.

Better to re-create Haze using likely parents e.g. USC - CG '72, CBG - PR, TRSC - Kerala, GN - Thai stick etc IMO.

Peace,

N7

The point would be reviving a legend. Restoring the potency, high effects, yield and vigour.

My main complaints on Ohaze would be low vigour, low yield and perhaps the flowering time. I'm working on some of these aspects through hybridization.. even though messing with the long flowering time could prove detrimental.

I can't do the numbers required for proper restoration but I do have a couple of haze lines already that have better vigour. I just added some fresh blood, Kerala in this case and ended up with a ~75% Ohaze. For me personally it doesn't matter if it's 100% or 75%, we're dealing with a polyhybrid after all and I can still call it a haze. What goes in the mix later could be Nepalese, or Oaxacan. Perhaps both. What ever works for me. :)

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
G `day MK

Tolerance is one huge difference in the way we perceive highs .

3 joints of Nevil`s Haze ? I smoked half a joint in Holland and put it out because it was freaking me out !
Had a similar experience in Oz . I was smokin buds and hash .
Thought I`d change it up with some Nevil`s Haze .Rolled a joint . Bad decision . It made me extremely self aware .

How many grams do you smoke a week ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

heh bro. what you call freaking out I really enjoy LOL smoking it in some pulsing city is some funky shit, we are different, but thats ok. I smoke a lot and vape hash. I dont drink or take opiates, but I have suspicion that NLhaze lovers love mild opiate-like effect.. funky shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBC7ol-iUs

led05

Chasing The Present
If you can find special colombians with great highs and loads of parent stock to select from that would be the best start for it but I think you need the space and time for it.

their out there...... Pure private Colombian, it's an archetype to haze I'm certain of this, better quality, consistency and firmness than any OTH or OH I've grown out, by far..... Stable males and females, even splits too, heirloom type plants.....

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8483026&postcount=4558

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
heh bro. what you call freaking out I really enjoy LOL smoking it in some pulsing city is some funky shit, we are different, but thats ok. I smoke a lot and vape hash. I dont drink or take opiates, but I have suspicion that NLhaze lovers love mild opiate-like effect.. funky shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBC7ol-iUs

G `day MK

Both those uncomfortable experiences with Nevil`s Haze were in unfamiliar surroundings a looong way from my home .

1st time on a 1000 + KM drive . Next time in the EU .
The time in the EU , I started smoking a small joint . I could feel the effects after a cpl of tokes . Then it started me coughing . So I put it out .
A cpl of minutes later I sat down for lunch and started having a spiral of anxiety . Visas , plane tickets , money transfers and the cops visiting my home while I was away all started swirling in my mind .
My buddy who grew the NHz must have noticed I was quiet . Asked how I was going ? I told him I am having a mild anxiety attack . He said yes she has a dark side . You need to treat it like a trip . Control your thoughts and don`t allow yourself to go down the rabbit hole .
Good advice .

Been smokin 35 years here in Australia not had those feelings like that before .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
G `day MK

Both those uncomfortable experiences with Nevil`s Haze were in unfamiliar surroundings a looong way from my home .

The time in the EU , I started smoking a small joint . I could feel the effects after a cpl of tokes . Then it started me coughing . So I put it out .
A cpl of minutes later I sat down for lunch and started having a spiral of anxiety . Visas , plane tickets , money transfers and the cops visiting my home while I was away all started swirling in my mind .
My buddy who grew the NHz must have noticed I was quiet . Asked how I was going ? I told him I am having a mild anxiety attack . He said yes she has a dark side . You need to treat it like a trip . Control your thoughts and don`t allow yourself to go down the rabbit hole .
Good advice .

Been smokin 35 years here in Australia not had those feelings like that before .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I kinda like that feeling of vulnerability.

Happy Times

G `day MK

Good advice .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

So, sorry off topic, but I had to ask. Do you guys try to control your thoughts when you are tripping? I can see that point of view, but I also had some experiences smoking DMT when I felt like I just needed to let the flow of thoughts happen without trying to impose anything on them

I can see the need to impose some control if your mind is drifting to stuff like cops going to your house when you are away though. Damn paranoia haha

madalasatori

Veteran
If I try and control my thoughts when tripping that’s when it can go wonky I just let my brain shit it all out. Which is a bit like how nhz feels for me, I get paranoid on lots of strains but never nhz

Nexus7

The point would be reviving a legend. Restoring the potency, high effects, yield and vigour.

My main complaints on Ohaze would be low vigour, low yield and perhaps the flowering time. I'm working on some of these aspects through hybridization.. even though messing with the long flowering time could prove detrimental.

I can't do the numbers required for proper restoration but I do have a couple of haze lines already that have better vigour. I just added some fresh blood, Kerala in this case and ended up with a ~75% Ohaze. For me personally it doesn't matter if it's 100% or 75%, we're dealing with a polyhybrid after all and I can still call it a haze. What goes in the mix later could be Nepalese, or Oaxacan. Perhaps both. What ever works for me. :)

I think the low yield, long-flowering time and moderate potency (but superb effect) are characteristics of Haze itself.

These qualities only seem to be improved by outcrossing and not inbreeding as you have personally experienced with adding the Kerala.

You might still call it Haze but a Haze hybrid would probably be a more accurate definition. In any case if you're happy with the end product that's all that really matters.

Perhaps crossing the 16 week ceilingless/almost ceilingless NH haze pheno with a nice representation of OTH and then crossing that to an exceptional O-Haze could be another way to improve the line and keep it essentially a pure Haze line.

Peace,

N7

leet

Nevil tried many times to improve the NH but I remember him saying he had a hard time. He tried backcrossing to the HazeC father but the plants werent any better. He also tried to reverse HazeC and smoke it so he knows how the pure HazeC smokes. He felt the HazeC on it's own lacked bass aka bottom, it was only treble and he felt the NH ( which also contained nl5xhazeA ) was better than the pure HazeC .

The funny thing is nevil much prefered the nl5hazeC but not the nl5hazeA. BUT the nl5hazeA crossed to HazeC gave the best kids. It was not the Nl5HazeC x HazeC that was better.

He said that when he did that cross something magical happened ( Nevilles Haze ) and he believed it had to with using two related brothers. When he used the nl5hazeC x hazeC he was already seeing inbreeding in vigour growth and other stuff, although the nl5hazeC plant was the better one compared to nl5hazeA.

So the people that think they can take a NH and cross it to a pure haze and make it better think again, maybe it will work but Nevil did lots of testing and he said any inbreeding further than the NH just didnt work. Maybe it explains why OH is generally not so good, too much inbreding and that is why its good breeding stock. Otherwise it would be good smoking stock.

People complain the nl5hazeA ( mom of Nevs ) is not very good , narcotic , lacks terpenes. Yes it is all that and even more but this female gave the best kids with the HazeC male, not the nl5hazeC , which is the SSH mom which is much better, everyone agrees. You have to outcross the OH to make it work.. The nl5hazeA wasnt good on its own but it gave the best combining ability to the hazeC , thats how real breeders work, they test the kids.

The lack of terpines in the NL5, Nevil said, was easy to give headroom to the HazeC and not affect the final hybrid in taste. Thats is why NH is all haze taste and no afghani. The nl5hazeA instead of nl5hazeC didn't inbred so much so as not to become all frankincense and catpiss. Nevil said when you further inbred the NH it would be become all frankincse and catpiss.

You have to select in Nevilles Haze, the most hazy phenos and discard anything with thick leaves and anything that flowers fast if you care for the pure haze high. People that grow one two packets and dont find what they want makes no surprise to me. I have smoked NH with no terpenes at all and nothing special but the right pheno is half joint and you have to put it aside because you are too high paranoid selfaware that you cannot even understand people talking to you, completely electric and tachycardic. You don't even need a ceiling, half joint will put you in LSD land for 3 hours, and after you come back you will be like WOW that was intense ! I don't tihnk I want to smoke more... but if you do you will have the same trip. Of course if your tolerance is super high and totally in your comfort zone these things might not happen but I smoke for 20 years and if I dont smoke for 3-4 days , this will happen with the proper NH pheno. I have never smoked an OH that had this kind of effect.

I think the NH is an exceptional hybrid, much thought and tested and a marvel by a genius. It is faster than the OH, you can find ceilingless phenos, it yields MUCH better than the inbred OH, you can basically find BETTER hazes than the hazes in the original haze but with added points of vigour growth and yield and for me better taste ( pine-mango-frankincess ) rather than the more classic generic piney lemony green OH.

I know they are different but for me the OH is not as special as the NH, I can find this type of high in many sativas while the NH is very special and different. Not my everyday cup for sure but I think it is exceptional and the closest think to a psychedelic.

According to many posts, there areprobably much better OH plants than I have tried... so have that in mind.

Last edited:
G

Interesting leet.Was NH so hard to find keepers on the early days?Cause searching in many packs for a keeper is quite the contrary of what Nevil was advocating...A friend from here told me that he grew a pack of mr nice nev haze last year and found 14-16 weekers with couchlock effect ...:dunno:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Interesting leet.Was NH so hard to find keepers on the early days?Cause searching in many packs for a keeper is quite the contrary of what Nevil was advocating...A friend from here told me that he grew a pack of mr nice nev haze last year and found 14-16 weekers with couchlock effect ...:dunno:

Could be high in terpenes like linalool perhaps, but is that blame to Nevil, don't think so.

Latest posts

Latest posts