What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I rather expect a red stem from a Colombian punto rojo.Had one growing with red in the stem as a classical Colombian pheno.

Do you have pictures? My Original Hazes have all had green stems with red stripes on them, quite uniform.

What we've been wondering on the forums is where all the colorful expressions are. Seedman's Orginal Haze afaik is all about the green phenotypes. Anyone got pictures of a purple Ohaze?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
What we've been wondering on the forums is where all the colorful expressions are. Seedman's Orginal Haze afaik is all about the green phenotypes. Anyone got pictures of a purple Ohaze?
tom hill original haze, purple pheno(not my pic)
1547haze2.jpg

Burt

Veteran
Exactly why we're so puzzled. There's nothing like that in Seedman's Original Haze. In fact I've never even seen a single purple bud in any of them.

It’s in there
Sam describes 3 distinct lines with the purple haze having a bit of a body hint to it
I refer to it as chakra activating and in the most positive of ways

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Colombian punto rojo can be purple and just what Burt said you can find purple phenotypes in the OHz.In the early 90s there was one in Holland with the incense trait.

Have here a photo taken in Colombia wi9th punto rojo plants

Attachments

• Punto_rojo_Colombia.jpg
    Punto_rojo_Colombia.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 41

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Quotes from Tom years ago

TomHills haze is a thai leanin line, which does purple. heres a bit from tom........

I passed on the Purple Haze from Positronics, but Posi was the source
of my Haze pictured, Positronics "Original Haze". Their "Purple Haze"
was a hybrid i believe w/maybe purple#1?. You'll have to check with
Sam Skunkman as to what the other component in the Purple Haze was,
he was doing the breeding for them at the time. What folks really
want is the pure haze, but they just can't get that song out of their
heads

Best Regards,
Tom

From 2002
This is what TomHill said almost 4 years ago:

"Most of the "Thai" i´ve tried in the last ten years or so was just kinda okay,not saying the goods aren´t out there,just that i haven´t been able to locate it,& i´ve turned over a few stones lookin.The closest i´ve come are selected phenos of the original haze from positronics.I´ve always thought that their haze was very heavy in thai genes,due mostly to a characteristic thai smell/flavor in a high percentage of them (+/-75%),a smell i remember from some excellent thai that some friends used to grow long ago.Although most of the reports say "mostly colombian/mexican & less south indian/thai",there´s a seemingly informed report by "Robert Clarke"(i wonder) that seems to go along with my guess of heavy in thai genes.
I bet if you grew out a few packets of the Original Haze from the Flying Dutchmen,you´d find what you´re looking for"

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Exactly why we're so puzzled. There's nothing like that in Seedman's Original Haze. In fact I've never even seen a single purple bud in any of them.
I got one purple pheno out of around 40 females.. so its rare in original haze from TH/positronics. also cbf got some.. this is tom hill haze x mextiza. half purple
picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
That's quite purple enough Maha Kala :D

On haze being Thai-like, if we are to believe SamS, very little Thai was added to Original Haze in California. If haze is that much related to Thai the hybridization must have happened already in Colombia. On Phylos there's a pull from Colombian towards Thai. Could be Thai, Kalimantan even Bengal for all I know..

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
its just speculation from Tom Hill, like he said his guess. have no clue what is in it. but Sam should know it with some certainty imo, it was him who gave seeds to positronics.. some say colombian gold is thai :D MadMac grows bunch of thais now and some tom hill hazes, so he can compare it :D best option for today purple haze hybrid would be thaihaze skunk purple pheno, purple comes from thai. or purple oth x panama from ace. or e. T ´s purple colombian x A5.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
This is one of the pheno's i had from a s1 OHz x Sk#1 with red stripes on the stem.Later on the stem turned completely red.

picture.php

Other pheno but green

picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Just found this interesting

On sunday I had the opportunity to visit a Seedsman Original Haze and Oldtimers Haze grow. The plants are still in veg and it's incredible how different those original haze lines look.
They also look completely different to the Positronics Hazes I had in 93-95', which ressembled more to Tom Hills Haze of these days (but without those lebanese looking wider leaves, and without purple colors)

The OTH are very very vigorous. Way more vigorous than my Positronics Hazes in 93-95. The first set of leaves were very big and wide. And they are growing fast like modern hybrids and are very compact in veg for ohazes. And their roots grow very fast too. They all have what I would call a thai/south-east asian look.

The Seedsman OH is the complete opposite. They are slow and not vigorous at all. Lanky with very long internodial space and the roots grow very thin and slow. 1 of them looks very thai and is really sexy while the others are some of the ugliest plants I have ever seen. But when you put your nose on those ugly ohaze plants, you can clearly smell the haze on most of them, or better, what is considered as the haze taste/smell by many people. The kind of haze smell that beems you back to the 90s for a moment. Not like the pure hazes, I have smoked around 89-90 that had a pine resin, floral, soapy, green smell, nore like the Positronics that had a green floral, sweet soapy smell, but more like Sensi's Haze hybrids in the 90s.

If Shanti, Nevil or whoever, did like they pretend not get their Haze stock from Sam , why "did" their haze hybrids smell like Sams/seedsmans original haze does in veg? And why do Sams hybrids still have those funky incensey Haze smells in them when Sensis and MNS haze smells are getting so extremely diluted?

As you can see, Im really impressed by the smell that are givng these Ohazes while they are stil in veg... And after putting my nose on those unvigorous seedsman ohazes, Im pretty sure that the haze hybrids of the 90-00s all came from Sam's stock, like he always says. In my opinion, at least the famous hazeA male came directly from Sams work.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Tom selected for "Thai" phenos from Posi stock?
OK I guess. I've got THH seeds but haven't run them yet so I have no opinion. Was Posi different from Seedsman oHaze? I thought they were the same. Sam leaves it to us. Haze is Haze. Figure it out yourselves, I will sit back here and enjoy the show watching people who have never smoked the ingredients that made the crosses try to explain why they believe one or another pheno represent a part of the original stock.
you are right Raho bro. they are the same.. still not sure what to think about posts from Tom Hill.. and I agree 100% that you cant guess parents from hybrid of them without experience with parents themselves. that is the same like guy is growing NL5Haze and never smoked outstanding OH, but he knows what the haze is.. you know :D

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
its just speculation from Tom Hill, like he said his guess. have no clue what is in it. but Sam should know it with some certainty imo, it was him who gave seeds to positronics.. some say colombian gold is thai :D MadMac grows bunch of thais now and some tom hill hazes, so he can compare it :D best option for today purple haze hybrid would be thaihaze skunk purple pheno, purple comes from thai. or purple oth x panama from ace. or e. T ´s purple colombian x A5.
i cant say i noticed any incense in the thh i grew ,
it was more sour mangoes ,
like thai that was grown here when i was younger ..

however a cross with c99 has it tasting quite incense ,
not something i expected at all ,
but its definitely there ....

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
beauty. it will pay off :respect:

Thanks, I keep telling myself that. :tumbleweed:

There's also another perhaps slighty more Swazi leaning phenotype that is a lot faster. Not as pretty though ;) I expect it to be in the 80-100 day range. Mother Swazi here (middle) took around 80 days to ripen. Introspective to the max... can mess you up if you're not careful. I don't even expect to enjoy the hybrid, I want reactions :biggrin:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'm beginning to think not all Original Haze lineages carried the Thai genes. I'm sure different selections existed, maybe the Positronics one was different than the batch that was (later?) distributed to Seedsman and TFD. Same stock, different batch.