What's new

Purple Strain Connoisseur

Purple Strain Connoisseur

• Total voters

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
hey everyone. Nice pics, nice to see everyone enjoying the purple weed.

Hanf asked me to drop by and talk a lil about the purple bud.

From what I've been told the whole purple madness started in the late 60's. people were getting pretty low quality mexican weed, and alot of it was immature. and during these times "homegrown" was worth less than import and alot of people wouldn't even smoke it. people didn't know how to grow so alot of people were selling dried leaves.

Eventually as the smoking market expanded beyond what mexico could support the weed started coming from farther and farther south. By the time they hit Colombia there were a rainbow of greens, browns, purples, blacks, etc. That were of much higher quality than the normal mexican brick.

So people got used to the idea of colored weed being better bud, and then what sealed the love of purple weed was the expansion of growers who knew what they were doing.In the time between the late 60's and the late 70's growers really learned alot, but most were still harvesting too early. "Homegrown" lost the negative connotation to its title with the better growers and people began associating purple weed as not only the weed from colombia, but as being plants that were allowed to grow long enough to mature fully were getting into the colder season and turning purple.

all people knew was that the purple weed got you higher than most of the brown weed. Taking advantage of this were the new dutch seed companies sprouting up in the 80's. unfortunately many early breeders were focusing on the purple pigment and less about quality. as the modern scene exploded alot of growers began to badmouth the purple weed as the more potent and at the time incredibly unique indica buds came around.

Since the scene has grown purple weed is as popular now as its probably ever been. A few people still harp onto the "purple is less quality bred" idea but most have given up on the old stereotypes after trying the new waves of spectacular purple strains. lavender, deep chunk, etc. Prices have even soared to ridiculous prices. a friend of mine in cali said people in his town sell lower quality purple cashcrop weed at $2000 more a lb than the green weed that is often of better quality.

so moral of the story is just because its purple doesn't mean its great, there are lots of crappy purple strains, but when you have a stellar strain and it happens to be purple, its just kicks ass that much more.

some nameless purple humboldt funk, purple skunk, and lavender.

p skunk

lavender

Last edited:

hanfiking

Hey Motaco thanks for joining in, great info there and really nice pics!!

Hey Marijuanaut what do they smell like?? they look beautiful, looks like a great grow.

Thanks for stopping by Kooki but unfortunately both of my purple strains turned out to be male so that sucks but i can still get seeds from my DutchDragon girl.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi guys, I've got a question for you all. I'm growing my first purple strain Twilight (check out my grow diary in my sig) and they've started to show preflowers and all are female.

On closer inspection today, I noticed that the preflowers are turning purple! Is this usual? I was under the impression that purple phenos changed colour later in the grow. I've taken some photos but sorry they're not v clear or close, they're from a phone camera. My temps are 80f max, 75f min. RH approx 50%.

Cheers for any comments or input! :wave:

Last edited:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
Sammet, the sooner the better imo :D you lookin good so far, i wouldnt worry about premature purpling any! cool temps can set it off too man so you are straight....

Peace

A

Afghanicus

I will be growing some twilight soon to :) Got any more pics of those twilight plants? I'm curious to see how they grow.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Afghanicus said:
I will be growing some twilight soon to :) Got any more pics of those twilight plants? I'm curious to see how they grow.

Check out my sig mate, I have pics from seed in my grow diary. :)

A

Afghanicus

Nice :) i'll get some pics of mine when they are growing as well. I love purple buds and i'm hoping they are good medicine to :joint:

-=WZ=-

JeffSpicoli said:
any of you guys have any experience at all with Grape Ape???

My buddy has a kill looking Grape Ape he just took down.....Looks like a replacement for Urkle.... :joint:

JDOG6000

Veteran
Grape Ape is pretty good.
It tastes similar to urkle but a little different. Good shit if you can't get urkle.
But to me out of all the Cali purple strains the real purple urkle is my favorite.
But I'm still gonna test this SR71 purple Kush so my opinion might change.
Big suprise, I know. lol

Anyone heard of a strain called Killer purple? It's a clone in central Cali on the coast.
They have it in San Luis for example.
My guess is, it's Urkle x Killa queen.
But thats a guess.

J

JeffSpicoli

JDOG6000 said:
Grape Ape is pretty good.
It tastes similar to urkle but a little different. Good shit if you can't get urkle.
But to me out of all the Cali purple strains the real purple urkle is my favorite.

funny ya say that... By far Urkle is my favorite, ever sense this one outdoor batch from the triangle... ive been in love with her beautiful taste...
I havent been able to find an urkle, so i took up the offer of the grape ape when she came around...
Definately the most scrawny lookin cut ive seen, had the weakest/thinnest stem... But shes looking a lot lot better since i got her...

Hopefullly she turns out to have that grapey/perfumey taste im after... I could care less on her color :joint:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Just a couple of clearer photos of the purple preflowers on my Twilight :D

Going 12/12 this weekend :yoinks: :woohoo:

hanfiking

thats some hot purple pre flowers man very nice, looks like yours and my plants are about the same flowering time, but i've got my dutch dragon under 12/12 already. We'll see what happens huh.

Jim morrison said:
About 85% of you boneheads posting pics have absolutely fuckin altered them in photo editing software, playin with the Hues and saturation to distort the color spectrum.... quit being misleading ya dumbasses we're not all retards here!! :fsu: :fsu:

Haha, it's pretty funny how everyone just ignored this comment. Can you point put whos pix you think are photoshopped ?......I'm curious so that I can more easily recognize it. I went back and looked at the pics, but most of them seem to be real to my untrained eye.

littlejohn747

Is there any good purple weed that can be bought by seed. What I mean is that I know the best urkel and gdp are clone only but what is out their in seed form for the rest of us. I am spreading the love right now with some lavender but I will be damm if she is changing colors for me. Any one have any seed suggestions?