What's new

pit bulls...

xtsho

Pitbull's were originally bred for fighting and bull baiting. Two very despicable activities. But a good owner and proper training can develop a very well behaved dog. Unfortunately the Pitbull is also the favorite breed of many that should not own any dog regardless of breed so you end up with poorly trained dogs that are uncontrollable and dangerous.

I'm not a Pitbull fan myself but I did recently adopt an older lady that probably has some pit in it from the Animal Shelter that needed a home. She's really nice and extremely smart but I think she also has some Boxer and maybe Lab which would account for her intelligence. She's somewhere between 5-8 years old.

I've been a dog owner for over 50 years and the dog I've been bitten by the most is the Chihuahua. I've had half a dozen over the years mostly rescue dogs. I had one that bit me all the time and I mean a bite that drew blood. She was crazy when I got her but I put up with it because she had been mistreated for so many years. That dog lived it's last days in luxury and I was very sad when she passed despite her biting me at least once a week.

I'm going to get another smaller Chihuahua dog/mix to keep her company as she suffers from separation anxiety. A companion hopefully will calm her down when we're gone.

jasmineconvert.jpg

jasmine04112023.jpg

Last edited:

Ca++

I'm particularly concerned about The Flying Squad. A lot of big dogs, have been taken down by them Budgerigars

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'd hazard a guess to say that for every responsible dog owner there are 10 irresponsible dog owners who are not up to being able to control what could easily be a lethal weapon - in a dog -

Pits - Rotty's - Dobie's - and several other breeds can be lethal weapons - they were bred specifically as fighting/security dogs - and many have a hair trigger to attack not just other dogs - but people/children too -

Putting one of these dogs in the hands of someone who hasn't got a clue how to train and peaceably maintain the dog - is like giving a child a loaded AK47 to play with - and the evidence of this is sadly regularly in the news -

harvestreaper

Veteran
i dont blame the dogs i blame the media and the fake animal charities ,,pit bulls are a perfect example ,,the american version of rspca ,,peta worked with media and told whole world about these devil dogs 2000 pound jaw pressure bla bla bla these sensationalist articles tv shows were designed to create a harvest and they did ,,a huge market of half cut pitbulls sold to 1000s of people wanting the dogs for the wrong reasons as advertised by the charitys tv shows and not the original breeders ,,this of course will inevitably create problems in society and accidents waiting to happen ,,and guess who rides in to save the day ??the animal charity heroes lol same thing was repeated in england thousands of innoncent animals euthanised and the same million doller harvest was collected,, were talking multi million pound buisness here ,,,,it dont take sherlock holmes to understand that since time began serious breeders of anything dont want there work ending up in the hands of morons ,,,but dealers will provide to a market thats there

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont blame the dogs i blame the media and the fake animal charities ,,pit bulls are a perfect example ,,the american version of rspca ,,peta worked with media and told whole world about these devil dogs 2000 pound jaw pressure bla bla bla these sensationalist articles tv shows were designed to create a harvest and they did ,,a huge market of half cut pitbulls sold to 1000s of people wanting the dogs for the wrong reasons as advertised by the charitys tv shows and not the original breeders ,,this of course will inevitably create problems in society and accidents waiting to happen ,,and guess who rides in to save the day ??the animal charity heroes lol same thing was repeated in england thousands of innoncent animals euthanised and the same million doller harvest was collected,, were talking multi million pound buisness here ,,,,it dont take sherlock holmes to understand that since time began serious breeders of anything dont want there work ending up in the hands of morons ,,,but dealers will provide to a market thats there
Even today in England,,,,should you have a Pitbull and the authorities find out then it’s an instant death sentence,,,DNA test comes back
pit then it’s all over
,,started back in the 80s with pits having to be muzzled but untrained vicious little dogs still cause chaos and have had a spaniel and daschund nip my American lines Labrador when he was a pup and ya know damn well if my boy when back at these dogs then guess who takes the moral high ground?.
Last thing in the world you need when enjoying ya walk is a dog fight so I will always stick his lead on when I perceive a little snapper then it’s on the other owner for not keeping their dog under manners when it steams upto mine ,,bearing its teeth and eyeballing my boy,,
my dog takes not much notice when this happens but I’m fully aware that will change if he perceives the other dog might try to bite me
last thing I want ,,
is seeing what 25kilo of teeth and muscle could do to a soft gummed
Cocker Spaniel. ,,,,, .
worst thing is seeing a beautiful dog ruined by a dickhead owner ,,,

Ca++

Even today in England,,,,should you have a Pitbull and the authorities find out then it’s an instant death sentence,,,DNA test comes back
pit then it’s all over
No. There is no DNA testing. It's not recognised as a specific dog in the UK. Characteristics are looked at, and if about a third match, that will do.

• When first viewing the dog it should appear square from the side, and its height to the top of
its shoulders should be the same distance as from the front of its shoulder to the rear point of
its hip.
• Its height to weight ratio should be in proportion.
• Its coat should be short and bristled, (single coated).
• Its head should appear to be wedge shaped when viewed from the side and top but rounded
when viewed from the front. The head should be around 2/3 width of shoulders and 25 per
cent wider at cheeks than at the base of the skull (this is due to the cheek muscles).
• The distance from the back of the head to between the eyes should be about equal to the
distance from between the eyes to the tip of its nose.
• The dog should have a good depth from the top of head to bottom of jaw and a straight
box-like muzzle.
• Its eyes should be small and deep-set, triangular when viewed from the side and elliptical
from front.
• Its shoulders should be wider than the rib cage at the eighth rib.
• Its elbows should be flat with its front legs running parallel to the spine.
• Its forelegs should be heavy and solid and nearly twice the thickness of the hind legs just below
the hock.
• The rib cage should be deep and spring straight out from the spine, it should be elliptical in
cross section tapering at the bottom and not ‘barrel’ chested.
• It should have a tail that hangs down like an old fashioned ‘pump handle’ to around the hock.
• It should have a broad hip that allows good attachment of muscles in the hindquarters and
hind legs.
• Its knee joint should be in the upper third of the dog’s rear leg, and the bones below that
should appear light, fine and springy.
• Overall the dog should have an athletic appearance, the standard makes no mention of ears,
colour, height, or weight.

All that it needs, is for the dog to look like one of the recognised PBT types has been used in it's breeding.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I personally do not like pit bulls. As someone else said, I would cross the street rather than walk past one. Having said that, Dalmatians are another breed I would never trust. Those bastards are inbred like a mf-er, plus they have this heroic image of being firefighter dogs. But I would never turn my back on one of those spotted bastards!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Pit bulls were bred to fight or catch hogs. And due to the sheer amount of them some of them have hurt or killed people. The publicity from this made them more popular and more hated. What has also happened is people looking for home protection started looking at breeds bred to stop people. I would rather run into a stray pit bull than a presa, cane Corso, neopolitan mastiff, dogo Argentina or several other breeds. A 100 to 200 pound dog that doesn't trust strangers if far more dangerous than a 50 pound dog that for the most part loves people. Bullys and bandogs are bred from similar combinations of pit and mastiff. So depending on how they are bred the can range from almost no aggression to extreme aggression. Bullys generally should be friendly and bandogs are bred specific as people stoppers.

If there was the same amount of people stopping breeds as there are pit bulls the numbers of people hurt or worse would far exceed the pit bulls record.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I think its about the confusion around them.

Personally I think they are an amazing breed. People think they are bred to be aggressive when in reality it is confidence and athletic ability that defines the breed. They excel at whatever task. Weight pull, agility, rescue, therapy.... even fighting or catching animals several times their size. They are excited to work regardless of what job. And refuse to give up.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Working dog killing hogs

way to go
‘Lil correction amigo…..have bay dogs (catahoula hybs) to find and then release bulls to catch by ear…..get swung around for a bit …once tired you have choice to stick or tie/muzzle up hog…..throw on back of quad.. haul home to pens…..

wouldnt generalize any breed as seen many tuck tail …….