What's new

pit bulls...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
first, i want to say that personally, i like them. i've never had one so much as growl at me. i HAVE been bitten by dogs before. the worst was a GSD that broke through a screen door and hammered me on the left arm a few years back. now, about pits...a friend of mine came to town for a granddaughters birthday the other day. HER father (whom we'll call "Mike" since it's his name) has a rescue pit, which he takes everywhere he goes. admirable, if shaky to me. his grandson put his foot down IE "no pit bulls in my house with my two year old !" and stuck to it. "my house, my rules, fucking go home if you don't like it." great grandpa whimpered and whined, but did not get his way in spite of "my dog would NEVER be aggressive!" so he left her in his hotel room. after the party, they went to the hotel, and he took his "never aggressive" pit for a walk. now, the stupid fuck is in legal trouble and on the hook for over $1000 in vet bills over the beagle that it tried to kill while on its walkies. SMFH

rolandomota

Veteran
My pit bull defended me from an attacking loose pit bull. My dog almost killed that bastard he made him pass out by grabbing its throat I thought it was dead I made my dog let go and the fucker gets back up fighting after few seconds on the ground almost dead.
So it got its ass beat again until it ran home fucking bastard.
The dog was out loose constantly, later after my incident and police report the owners got a warning and kept their dog the warning was if your dog is loose again it will be taken away even if its just loose doing nothing.
I dont have to let my dog kill that dog anymore its gone now.......I could have shot the dog on the spot sure but my pit bull was enough

If i owned a beagle maybe i would not be bothering anyone right now .....

rolandomota

Veteran
I have had stupid small dogs come up barking to my dog and most of the time the stupid owners are at fault for having their dog loose. If both the dogs are loose then nobody's on the hook but if your dog is loose and mines on a leash anything that happens to your dog is your fault.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
It's the people that need training.

Very true. But until there is mandatory dog training for pit owners - or for most big dogs for that matter - I will cross the street or reverse direction to avoid them with my dog. Hell, I was nicely scratched by a Labradoodle that lives 3 doors away - another untrained big dog and with a seriously stupid owner.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
It's the people that need training. Pit bulls need to be run daily and not just walked. The males need their nuts removed before they get aggressive. The best way to run a Pit Bull is on a bicycle to use up their energy.
this one is a female, rescued from a "breeder" that cranked out puppies with no regard as to their socialization. regardless, they were bred to fight and anything could be the target if they are triggered. small kids frequently get in trouble because they will stare at dogs, and that is interpreted as a threat to dogs. i had an elderly Labrador snap at a friends young child for that very thing years ago.

Bona Fortuna

02F4C561-15DF-4F63-BF27-0A0B72CF10BD.jpeg
3AEC5E43-33B6-4E33-B5DA-3D299EA3C93E.jpeg

My sweet baby Sassy. 14 years of love and amazing memories. 90% American Staffie pit and 10% Bone mouth Shar pei. A picture from 5 years ago and one from last month before we had to put her down due to aggressive cancer.

She scared all the neighbors’ kids to death, but was extremely gentle and passive. We called the border collie next door her ‘boyfriend’ and they visited each other frequently. She even became best friends with the angry barn cats we keep on the property and was handily accepted by the momma kitty to be around the baby kittens.
This dog was the definition of caring and patience, as she was best with young kids and newborns. Gentle licks and loyally plodding behind the youngen’s to make sure they are safe.

She had been attacked on our property by a neighbors golden retriever and German shepherd that had gotten out, held her own each time and didn’t pursue the dogs when they retreated.

To say a particular dog breed is aggressive or bad is a fallacy. It’s a matter of owners behaviors and trainings. Dogs pick up behaviors from their owners and those behaviors get ingrained, be it a positive or negative behavior.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Pit bulls kill upto 60 people a year in USA and put 2600 in hospital, think that was 2020 numbers with 1 each killed by german shepard, mastiff, doberman pincher, and golden retriever. Black bears kill 1 person a year and injure 10 in all of north america, mostly canada. 3 year old girl in my town had face ripped off 2 or 3 years ago and is disfigured, no nose, and missing ear. Another 3 year old killed in state that year. If you can stomach it, google pitbull victims and look at images, many pre amputation. They need to pass aziz's law which would jail owners for actions of their dogs. Bull dogs were bred to take down bulls by the face and pitbulls were bred to kill and never stop biting. Neutering actually makes dogs more fearful and aggressive, especially the younger it is done. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...utering-causes-behavior-problems-in-male-dogs

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
If this is not allowed, delete post. GRAPHIC RESULTS OF PITBULL ATTACKS -

Bona Fortuna

Pit bulls kill upto 60 people a year in USA and put 2600 in hospital, think that was 2020 numbers with 1 each killed by german shepard, mastiff, doberman pincher, and golden retriever. Black bears kill 1 person a year and injure 10 in all of north america, mostly canada. 3 year old girl in my town had face ripped off 2 or 3 years ago and is disfigured, no nose, and missing ear. Another 3 year old killed in state that year. If you can stomach it, google pitbull victims and look at images, many pre amputation. They need to pass aziz's law which would jail owners for actions of their dogs. Bull dogs were bred to take down bulls by the face and pitbulls were bred to kill and never stop biting. Neutering actually makes dogs more fearful and aggressive, especially the younger it is done. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...utering-causes-behavior-problems-in-male-dogs
I fully agree with a law that would hold owners responsible for damages done by their pet. It incentives owners to care for their animals better.

However, any dog has capacity to be a dangerous animal. Pit bulls just happen to be bred en masse for dog fighting, creating a disproportionate amount of violent pit bulls. Most of which get set free to roam after they have served their course in the fighting rings. If they live.

It’s true that some breeds have a naturally higher prey drive. Pits, Belgian malinois, shepherds and much more all fall into this category. Mostly working type dogs that truly require a certain type of training to pacify or maintain. To me, it again falls on the owner to establish and ensure certain behaviors within your companion and not everyone puts in the level of work needed to maintain the behaviors of these animals.

Some animals won’t be able to shake their prey drive. One of our rescues still attacks deer, squirrels and birds on the property. She isn’t allowed around other peoples pets because we recognize her prey drive and her ability to turn into the silver speeding death bullet. She’s good around our pets and other people because of socializing, we just don’t trust her around others pets. If you let an animal that has a strong prey drive loose, then they will most likely act upon those drives.

All of these responsibilities fall squarely on the owner to recognize and respond to in my opinion.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im sorry to hear about the girl in your town who was disfigured by an aggressive dog; i dont know the back story so i can only comment so much
but look at the numbers, there are millions of these dogs in the us/ americas/ around the world
how many three year olds would approach a bear? or swim next to sharks? or any other large animal they dont know
maybe if someone had their eyes on the child some of this could have been avoided
/ never discount the stupidity of some people now days
but thats like saying all wolfs are bad or all anything that can kill is ebilz
in the wrong hands anything is dangerous my friend

Last edited:

EnjoyingLife

This is my baby boy. He is ok with people and other dog. I have no idea how to get him to like squirls and cats. He wants to grab and shake other animals.
That's prey drive. Not a bad thing most animals have it as long as the other is smaller. Depends on the animal to how strong/severe it is.
Just takes patience and training to curb and most times can be eradicated. Knowing body language helps a lot.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
dogs speaky their own language! and if you know dogs you can tell the mean ones from the punters or ones who just want you to stay back
but still, all dogs have sharp teeth and even a small dog could f'you up
/how many people are attacked by other breeds of dog?
View attachment 18879720 View attachment 18879721

My sweet baby Sassy. 14 years of love and amazing memories. 90% American Staffie pit and 10% Bone mouth Shar pei. A picture from 5 years ago and one from last month before we had to put her down due to aggressive cancer.

She scared all the neighbors’ kids to death, but was extremely gentle and passive. We called the border collie next door her ‘boyfriend’ and they visited each other frequently. She even became best friends with the angry barn cats we keep on the property and was handily accepted by the momma kitty to be around the baby kittens.
This dog was the definition of caring and patience, as she was best with young kids and newborns. Gentle licks and loyally plodding behind the youngen’s to make sure they are safe.

She had been attacked on our property by a neighbors golden retriever and German shepherd that had gotten out, held her own each time and didn’t pursue the dogs when they retreated.

To say a particular dog breed is aggressive or bad is a fallacy. It’s a matter of owners behaviors and trainings. Dogs pick up behaviors from their owners and those behaviors get ingrained, be it a positive or negative behavior.
xoxo brother! that is a good looking pup

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
If this is not allowed, delete post. GRAPHIC RESULTS OF PITBULL ATTACKS -
im not clicking on that link bro, ive seen enough carnage in this life, but i get what its about
it looks like these were feral dogs? or was it some sh!t head owner who could not control their dogs?
thats kind of painting with a broad brush man
: i once saw {whatever you want to vilify} do this, so they are all bad?
so here is something, whats the most dangerous animal in n.america?
(source) https://a-z-animals.com/blog/top-10-deadliest-animals-in-america/
its beez/ wasps

if you are allergic to their venom they will f'you up

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
To say a particular dog breed is aggressive or bad is a fallacy.
it's not that as a breed they are aggressive. a hell of a lot of the problem is their strength and single-mindedness if triggered. as mentioned elsewhere here, there is this thing called "prey drive". a neighbors pit decided one day he wanted one of my cats. i got between them, and the dog gave it up. he's a great dog, we wrestle and i beat him like a drum and he loves it. but something about my cat running by him triggered a reaction...

Bona Fortuna

it's not that as a breed they are aggressive. a hell of a lot of the problem is their strength and single-mindedness if triggered. as mentioned elsewhere here, there is this thing called "prey drive". a neighbors pit decided one day he wanted one of my cats. i got between them, and the dog gave it up. he's a great dog, we wrestle and i beat him like a drum and he loves it. but something about my cat running by him triggered a reaction...
Oh absolutely! Strong bodied and strong willed most of the time. You recognized the action of the animal, responded in an appropriate manner for the relationship you have with the animal and the situation worked well.

Pits, malinois, shepherds, terriers and other working type dogs tend to have a higher prey drive. One of our collie/shepherd rescues loves to attack squirrels, voles, birds and has killed deer on occasion. Almost indiscriminately. For that reason alone, we don’t allow her the general freedoms the more tame pups are allowed.

A question I have, with no angst towards your neighbor, how did the dog get access to to your cat? Was the dog roaming? Leashed? Fenced in?

As an owner, one needs to recognize the dog and demeanor they are working with. I love pits, I love Rottweilers and pinschers, I love terriers and shepherds, but any dog needs to be maintained in a way that minimizes/prevents those situations and attacks from occurring in the first place. That all begins with responsible ownership.

Last edited:

EnjoyingLife

dogs speaky their own language! and if you know dogs you can tell the mean ones from the punters or ones who just want you to stay back
but still, all dogs have sharp teeth and even a small dog could f'you up
/how many people are attacked by other breeds of dog?

xoxo brother! that is a good looking pup
I was bit on my face by a dog when I was in my highchair.
I pulled it's ear.
I was bit by my uncles stray behind my knee when I was around five or six. She was protecting her babies.
I still love dogs =]