What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

~PIFF~ A.K.A. Uptown Haze/Frankies/Church. Preserving a Heritage...

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
My experience with "haze"

My experience with "haze"

A little history
I grew up in Harlem, NYC but I went to high school at one of the specialized schools in the Bronx. In high school was where I had my first experience with weed. We were a crew of rejects that would cut class and go to the movies and stuff.

One of my fellow rejects was a Dominican fellow (lets just call him "Aristotle") would get the bud for us from his brother if I remember correctly. I can very distinctly remember my buddy showing me what looked like spider webs to me balled up in what some foil or paper. What stands out in my memory is the white hairiness I saw. Now I know it was just picked a little early.

My buddy always called it haze or purple haze even tho it was never purple. Aris and I became a little closer than most of the rest of the group and he would even take me to his house in Washington Heights. This had to be in '94 or '95 because I was in high school.

Uptown
Fast forward some years until I am out of high school, out of the house and on my own...

I can remember when it was all "haze" on the streets. I mean there was some chocolate that would come in little bricks in brooklyn. There was some blueberry that I sometimes could get around the 125st area in Harlem. But for the most part it was all haze around me.

I very vividly remember going up to 201 to get $240 halfs of what he called haze, but I was knowledgeable enough to be able to recognize that this was very different than the other "haze".
1) It costed more for this one.
2) It had way more trichs, darker foliage and a ruby red grapefruit aroma, dark brown hairs. I would read High Times mags descriptions of NYC diesel and just "know" that is what it was.

I remember while living in Queens there was a homie that lived up the street that copped a new g35 when they first came out, off that haze. This is around the time when Mobb Deep Lil Kim and all of queens was talking about "that haze". I remember he called it haze also and it was just like the expensive haze I used to get.

Sour
Soon after a more offensive flavor came around. At the first of the diesels a line was drawn. Team Sour or team haze, after that the old haze kinda started dissapearing.

I used to live pretty close to the "eastside" spot that still had the older haze when everything went sour (pun intended). But after a while that spot was closed and a new sour spot opened nearby.

Haze
Personally, I have always been a team haze supporter, so when I come across something with the profile I characterize as haze, it gains my attention. But my limited experience with growing verified genetics has created a need to group varieties by terpene profile. The big main 2 groups I use are hazes, and kushs but I still use others. For example, I would just call shishkaberry "blueberry kush" because the keeper was berry and kushy.

Am I using the term "haze" incorrectly?
I was looking for a new haze to replace my lemon skunk and came across some african narrow leaf indica hybrids. They all had that hazey smell and taste that reminds me of the combination of the freshness after it rains and freshly chopped dill. I am pretty sure it came from the Mulanje.

Would I be wrong for calling one of these cultivars a "haze"?

Does anyone else remember when the "uptown haze" changed and the new more frosty, grapefruit smelling one just took the name "haze"?

Sorry for the wall.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Cannivore

Matt has posted pictures of babies he grew out ,Id say its been almost 2 years since he mentioned the NYC haze seed stock (b4 i left MNS). But he hasnt given a description of any sort to my knowledge ,I imgaine he is very familiar with the traits of all his keepers by now . Im sure many others aside from me would love to hear more details of what he has found in the seeds

As you kow im sure there are several cuts grown out ,BUt i hope that Frank is still kept in that circle

1luvbigherb

Hey there bigherb. To your knowledge, did matt ever give more information out on what he found?

bigherb

Veteran
Shishkaboy

Haze is Haze then there are Haze hybrids . I'm surprised you being a Nyer are confused

Yes calling something that resembles haze a haze is wrong . I've never experienced any sweet or grapefruit haze in NYC . That grape fruit was most likely NYC Diesel

Calling lemon Skunk a haze is very wrong . Calling shiskaberry a Kush is also wrong . There are many threads here which explan NLD / WLD previously called sativa/ indica and hybrids . Also are thread that explain genetics such as kush and OG kush and there difference . This anint the thread for that

1luvbigherb

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I don't recall hearing/reading anything from him after I left MNS. I never seen a single report on his Haze stock

1luvbigherb

Me neither. Been asking around. Supposedly something happened to matts garden when he started them and most ended up dying.

Lesnah

Hey there bigherb. To your knowledge, did matt ever give more information out on what he found?

I bought 2 packs so far and have tried germinating 3 beans but they never cracked. I'll be giving them another shot in a couple of months hopefully. If I manage to get to harvest, I'll go buy some puray and do a side by side analysis.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
bigherb i got a pack of nevil's haze earlier this year. it's still in the vault, but obviously i'm hoping to find some woody, incense-y expressions with that brain wallop effect when i've got the space to grow them out.

the other day someone mentioned the recent n.haze stock from MNS is not producing the same plants the line was famous for. is that just bitter stoner gossip? or has the line been altered?

i'd love if you had some insight or could point me in the right direction to learn more...

thanks in advance!

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Shishkaboy

Haze is Haze then there are Haze hybrids . I'm surprised you being a Nyer are confused

Yes calling something that resembles haze a haze is wrong . I've never experienced any sweet or grapefruit haze in NYC . That grape fruit was most likely NYC Diesel

Calling lemon Skunk a haze is very wrong . Calling shiskaberry a Kush is also wrong . There are many threads here which explan NLD / WLD previously called sativa/ indica and hybrids . Also are thread that explain genetics such as kush and OG kush and there difference . This anint the thread for that

1luvbigherb

My bad,
I guess we use the term "haze" differently.
When I say "haze" I mean a specific group or combination of terps that produce a consistent, common scent. For example, super lemon haze and blue dream have a common scent. Of course one is blueberry and one is lemon, but they both have that "haze" in there that lingers. Its no different for the "kush" and "diesel" classifications in my book. I have been using the terms the same way since I chopped my first shishkaberry and feel like many others use them just like I do.

It sounds like when you use the term it is reserved for a specific genetic line. If this is the case then I know nothing about "haze" you speak of and am sorry to have bothered you guys.

All I would still want to know why the nyc diesel I sourced uptown (early-mid 2000's) and all over queens (late 90's-early 2000's) was a "haze"?

Lesnah

My bad,
I guess we use the term "haze" differently.
When I say "haze" I mean a specific group or combination of terps that produce a consistent, common scent. For example, super lemon haze and blue dream have a common scent. Of course one is blueberry and one is lemon, but they both have that "haze" in there that lingers. Its no different for the "kush" and "diesel" classifications in my book. I have been using the terms the same way since I chopped my first shishkaberry and feel like many others use them just like I do.

It sounds like when you use the term it is reserved for a specific genetic line. If this is the case then I know nothing about "haze" you speak of and am sorry to have bothered you guys.

All I would still want to know why the nyc diesel I sourced uptown (early-mid 2000's) and all over queens (late 90's-early 2000's) was a "haze"?

^ Because just how you mistakenly mislabeled a haze due to having your own criteria(that being a specific terpene profile), these uptown dudes will call anything they consider good quality Haze. This is why I got frustrated after Sour and other strains started popping up everywhere here in NYC, the actual "Haze" I was used to was being pushed as other strains to get an easy sale. But that's outside of the heights, in the Heights...ppl know that smoke inside and out and will get upset if you call it something else. But to call Uptown Haze "Uptown Haze" is in itself a mislabeling because we don't know for sure if it even has actual HAZE genetics in it's pedigree. Which is why I call it Puray like I was accustomed to growing up.

This happens with any popular strain in my opinion.

bigherb

Veteran
I know it as Puday

Obviously uptown you don't cop a bag a jar a sack with a label ,Like a dispensary . Soo we call it how we know it

But the most common pronounced way most common spelling is puday pronounced poo-day

Lesnah

I grew up knowing this as haze it was commonly silvers and frank around my way . Not no SSH a fire Haze very different from SSH more raw more dark more sharp more spice not that Adam taste like I call it

After my first Haze hybrid experience with NH and Sk/Hz from Mns outdoors organic . I felt instantly there was some connection. IMO NYC Haze is definitely connected to Haze bros Haze one way or another Colombian Genetics , SamS / Nevil or even those 3 brothers from Jersey who brought back major weight to the tri state . That last fact is something many don't acknowledge

Jadakiss is a Nyer with quite a few years on me . His fave strain is Haze he always mentions puday in songs mag write ups.

1luvbigherb

Lesnah

Elaborating on Big Herb's post...

The werd "puray/puday" is actually Dominican slang for "uncut" or raw. Originally, puray was used for describing high grade almost pure coke( I lived this, nobody can tell me otherwise) I'm 32 years old now, reminiscing about the early 90's to early 2000's. Puray is a Dominican bastardization of (puree) like mash potatoes and food of that consistency. So its a play on words to define good grade drugs. Another example is how we refer to heroine as "manteca" which is a type of butter.

Anyway, since uptown was the epicenter of the coke trade on the east coast... Those same terms used for raw coke started becoming commonplace for referring to Haze which I believe was any good weed that got you lifted.

Along came a very distinct "Haze" which was very uniform in smell and effect and boom! Everybody started calling it puray to distinguish it from "Ari" or what we(Dominicans) call (Haraka).

Hope this made sense, wrote it from my phone in a hurry, I'll respond better next post once I get home.

Lesnah

lesnah,

how do you pronounce puray? Poo-ray or Pur-ray and is the accent on the first or second syllable?

The accent is on the second syllable, its "puree" pronounced with a Dominican York accent.

Think Luis Lopez from Ballad of Gay Tony.

circadian clock

you think there related? dude he's telling you he's friends with them and they made it. of course there related where the heck did haze come from. their seeds!

Latest posts

Latest posts