What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

I think it could wait 1-2 weeks for the best potential, but i would chop them on this week before mold appears. Buds look quite dense

OK, I think I'm going to chop it.

I don't want to risk it.

I suppose it would be best to leave the pedestal fan blowing on the plant for the week or two of drying?

I might just go a couple of days then jar it with my desiccant and a couple of hygrometers?

I don't care how fast it dries if it helps prevent mold.

PCBuds

I was wondering, ... Do the buds "cure" when they're hanging to dry?

Does that grassy/chlorophyll taste go away from simply hanging?

And what about putting my weed in my frost-free freezer to dry out?

It won't kill the mold spores but they really shouldn't propagate.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering, ... Do the buds "cure" when they're hanging to dry?

And what about putting my weed in my frost-free freezer to dry out?

It won't kill the mold spores but they really shouldn't propagate.

It's the comnination of hanging and then jarring the buds and sweating them in the jars/ airing them out.
Microbes break down some of the chlorophyll and the smoke gets smoother, the taste and smell more refined and pronounced.

Freezer drying works a treat as well especially if you're in wet/humid climate and can't take the risk of losing the crop to mold.
There're a thread on freezer drying on here...
I'm hanging my small but full plants upside down this time around, but had to get the AC going as my rh is around 80% right now...
The slower they dry without catching mold, the better the results in my experience. CAn't be too hot either... a week at 18C and around 60% rh works well for me normally.

CC

SuperBadGrower

Grass taste ONLY happens when you put wet buds in a container. Or when it dries extremely quickly.
(Or when the genetics are shit)

No remedy

the quality of wet bud in a jar after 3 weeks is even WORSE than if you dried it on your HPS reflector/dehumidifier exhaust in 1 day

edit: "wet" -> "too wet"

in this case, you would open the container one time and find that all the good smells are suddenly gone or replaced with something unappealing. It happened because there is too much moisture on the inside of the buds. The outside may appear crispy. If you give them enough time on the vine you can avoid all that

if I had an AC that dehumidifed to 50% and minimum air circ I would not worry about mold at all. I would take off the fan leaves and hang the branches for 12 days without even looking at it

Last edited:

PCBuds

if I had an AC that dehumidifed to 50% and minimum air circ I would not worry about mold at all. I would take off the fan leaves and hang the branches for 12 days without even looking at it

OK, that's what I'm going to do.

I'm just going to run the AC and keep an eye on the RH in the room where it's drying.

PCBuds

I cut and hung about 2/3rds of the closet plant.
The main cola weighed a ton.

This is what's left to finish.

This cola looks to be pretty close to finished.

f2obsession

The part of the plant left alive may double the size of her buds this way. Now you can try to "overmature" her like you planned with a lower risk (if it gets molded, you stil saved more than half of your growth).

She looks very healthy with very much stored nutients in her dark green leaves, so I think, it worths a try.

Its fun to remember how bad days this plant has gone trough before. What a bounce back...

PCBuds

The part of the plant left alive may double the size of her buds this way. Now you can try to "overmature" her like you planned with a lower risk (if it gets molded, you stil saved more than half of your growth).

She looks very healthy with very much stored nutients in her dark green leaves, so I think, it worths a try.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
I'm just going to let it grow and this time I'll wait for the leaves to turn.

There's more air circulation in the closet now with all the big colas removed so that should help keep the mold away.

I've never had a problem with mold when I've dried or jarred any plants, only while it has been growing.

The window plant had no air circulation and my house was quite humid, but I'm running the AC now, so I think I should be fine.

Its fun to remember how bad days this plant has gone trough before. What a bounce back...

Thanks. I'm still quite surprised.

I think I might keep using my SIP cooler for my next plant. It really is working well again and I like how the top of the media stays dry, which helps keep the mold away, and I just look at the float to know when I need to water it.

I just have to not use the molasses or at least reduce it to about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, instead of two tablespoons.

And I've realized that if it smells like sewage it needs to be drained and flushed.

I kinda like how it's semi-organic with worms, soil mites, and springtails.
It is a bit more forgiving and I kinda think I've got lots of preditors that will eat any nasty invaders.

PCBuds

This is my window plant drying and it has green stems and branches.

This is my closet drying and it has purple stems but they're green where the buds were covering up the stems.

I think that the purple is sunburn?

And I think that it's a good thing to see?
I figure it means she's getting tons of light.

The calyx's on the closet plant are huge. They're the size of peas.

indagroove

Veteran
This is my window plant drying and it has green stems and branches.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/gjSD2gx2/20200814-103538.jpg]View Image[/url]

This is my closet drying and it has purple stems but they're green where the buds were covering up the stems.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/2j2TGS0N/20200814-103604.jpg]View Image[/url]

I think that the purple is sunburn?

And I think that it's a good thing to see?
I figure it means she's getting tons of light.

The calyx's on the closet plant are huge. They're the size of peas.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/htqJ79VD/15974164065221422939217.jpg]View Image[/url]

Looking Good! There's some issue with white light LEDs that can cause purple stems. I haven't quite figured it out myself, but it seems to be perhaps related to cal/mag needs or maybe lack of IR light under LED. It doesn't seem to be as prominent when you add some red LEDs in the 630nm and 660nm range to your white LEDs.

PCBuds

They both had calmag in their nute solution so if it's a calmag issue then it's probably from too much.

I don't think I want to bother with IR lighting because it wouldn't be simple and easy to add it with my Bridgelux LED strips being powered at an odd voltage of 19.5 V.

I'm trying to not do major investments in time, money, and effort for things that may have only marginal or no real gains at all.
And besides, I think she looks pretty sexy with a tan! Lol.

Come to think of it, I remember that I did order some IR diodes but they never arrived in the mail.
They were really cheap because they were the frequency of IR remote controls.
I don't remember the wavelength though.

PCBuds

I took a picture of what my CandyCane Autoflower is supposed to look like.

And what the White Widow Autoflower is supposed to look like.

It looks like the CandyCane has round balls like little cabbages and leaves that are dark green, while the White Widow, that I was used to growing, has straighter buds and leaves that turn color.

I'm thinking maybe Autumn colors on the CandyCane might not happen?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Interesting fact, most phone cameras lack an IR filter. You can see the light flashing if you point the remote toward your camera. Same with the far-red LEDs in those initiator pucks they sell on RapidLED.

That was the only way I could tell they were on.

PCBuds

Yeah, this ain't gonna happen for me.

Come on China!!

Mass produce these for our gardens.
That's too much money!
It's a 20 Watt COB for $483.

PCBuds

I found this one, .
Way more reasonable.

I still don't think I want to bother.
I'd just have more wires, transformers, lenses to add to my grow.
It's already a bit of a rats nest.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to grow weed.

It's only 2/3 of a Watt though.
For 12 bucks.

My Bridgelux strips are 6.8 Watts for $4.50.