What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

SuperBadGrower

I took some more trich pictures.

I'm pretty sure I see mostly clear trichs.

So the plant itself doesn't look finished with no fall colored leaves and the clear trichs are in agreement with that.

Hehe,
if you're gonna waste time looking at trichomes :)biggrin:) THIS is the way to do it
Taking material off the plant and examining it in normal light conditions has led you to the correct conclusion indeed... looks mostly clear

Agree though -- Brah....... Call the AmberLance....... we got Amber Trikes!

PCBuds

These top leaves may have been yellow and burnt from way back. (I don't remember?)

I wanna wait until I see the dark green leaves turn colors.

PCBuds

Crap!!
My window plant has a bit of mold on it.

I think I'm going to chop it and rinse it in an H2O2 solution, then hang it to dry with my pedestal fan blowing on it.

I inspected my closet plant and it appears to be mold-free.

PCBuds

Well, it's done.

I chopped it, rinsed it in a 5-gallon bucket with half a cup of H2O2, shook the excess water off, and strung it up to dry with the fan blowing on it.

q3corn

Damn sucks dude! Glad you caught it, that mold didn't look to be everywhere.

Hopefully you still get something smokable out of it!

PCBuds

I'm not gonna panic if I see a few Amber trichs, but if I see mold, drastic emergency measures are in order. Lol

I'm hoping my closet plant is safe from mold.

It does have a circulation fan and the top of the "soil" is dry because I bottom-feed.

The window plant was wet on the top of the "soil" and kept getting moldy.

My next plant will be growing in the "dry season", so that should help mitigate the mold problem.

PCBuds

Damn sucks dude! Glad you caught it, that mold didn't look to be everywhere.

Hopefully you still get something smokable out of it!

Yeah, it was just the top, main cola.

I'm just gonna smoke it. There wasn't very much and I don't think it'll poison me.

The Peroxide should have killed it off.

PCBuds

This is my fan blowing onto a 20" X 20" furnace filter that is supposed to catch pollen. (I don't know about mold spores though. They might be smaller?)

So my closet is pressurized with filtered air.

But if my closet plant shows any mold, I'm cutting her ASAP, regardless of where she's at with trichomes and colored leaves.

I'll keep in mind to keep inspecting the plant.
I've only got that single plant left.

indagroove

Veteran
This is my fan blowing onto a 20" X 20" furnace filter that is supposed to catch pollen. (I don't know about mold spores though. They might be smaller?)

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/Kzhfr51J/20200809-132515.jpg]View Image[/url]

So my closet is pressurized with filtered air.

But if my closet plant shows any mold, I'm cutting her ASAP, regardless of where she's at with trichomes and colored leaves.

I'll keep in mind to keep inspecting the plant.
I've only got that single plant left.

It depends on the specific rating of your furnace filter. I've been buying the top shelf ones lately, because they're really not that much more expensive, but do a much better job. This is how mine are rated:

attachment.php

Attachments

• honeywell-air-filters-91001-011414-1f_1000.jpg
    honeywell-air-filters-91001-011414-1f_1000.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 22

PCBuds

My only concern I have with the "ultra-fine" filters is that they can plug up and restrict airflow.

I know that when you use them in a furnace, they have been known to clog and burn out your furnace fan motor and disable the furnace.

Right now my little fan is adequate to push air through the filter and if the fan ever croaks, air can still flow through the fan and filter with convection and dump the heat out of the top of the closet.

If the "ultra-fine" filter is restricted enough, I may need a blower to push the air through it and there would be no airflow at all if the blower croaks.
Then I've got to worry about burning out my light strips and cooking my plant.

I'm on my last filter and I will check out the info on the package when I get more.
It's on my shopping list.

I'll just make sure that it traps mold spores.

indagroove

Veteran
I did a bit of research on furnace filters and there is an industry-standard to test air filters.

It's called the MERV rating.

3M simply refuses to test their filters to MERV specifications and have their own rating system which isn't comparable to a MERV rating.

3M is an expensive marketing rippoff.

https://www.furnacefilterscanada.co...G2fsS1RIoHjhbLHFYoGXrP0epvjO5Q80aAhTeEALw_wcB

The 3M ones suck IMO. I use a 14"x14" filter for my central heating, and once ordered a 3M filter, WHICH DIDN'T FIT! It was oversized by a couple of mm and I can to force it in, which bend the edges of the filter a bit. Never again 3M. I use the Honeywell ones now, and these posts are a good reminder that I'm due to replace the current filter. I took a look online and found that for some reason they are super cheap right now. Last time I ordered these, they were close to $20, but right now they are under $7. I'm gonna order a couple:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywe...ated-FPR-10-Air-Filter-91001-011414/203145837

PCBuds

I'm going to go with these from my local hardware store...

Two of them for $11 plus tax.
MERV rating of 8.

PCBuds

I remember checking out the Filtrete ultra at my local Walmart.
$30 for one filter.

It was made out of Hepa filter paper.
There was lots of folds and surface area, but it still wouldn't take much to plug it up.

My vacuum has a Hepa filter too with the same problem.
It just gets coated with crap, plugs up, then you get no suction.

I had a fuzzy shirt and sewed the arms and neck hole shut and covered my filter with it.

I now effectively have a prefilter. Lol

80% of the crap gets caught by the shirt and the Hepa filter doesn't get clogged up nearly as fast.

f2obsession

Is mold preventable by hepa filter?

If it is, its good news to me.

I always tought its all about air humidity, direct ventillation of the plants, and temperature.

PCBuds

Is mold preventable by hepa filter?

If it is, its good news to me.

I always tought its all about air humidity, direct ventillation of the plants, and temperature.

Yes, all of that, but if you can prevent mold spores from getting to your plant then all the better for prevention.

It's all about keeping your grow area clean.

You don't want to be blowing mold spores all over your plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts