What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

q3corn

If you don't want to risk your harvest turning to crap, better play it safe. Moist buds in a container is the absolute #1 way to ruin it all. I think it's a shame that it is recommended. Just hang branches, trim fan leaves, wait 2 weeks, remove the buds from the stems and jar it up. This is where the oldschoolers are right IMO. It might be the safest thing you can do. Especially if you don't have the experience of many harvests. If your ambient RH is normal you can leave them hanging for eternity. When I was too lazy to put all the weed in containers I would just leave branches hanging and take buds off of them as desired. More than once did I have my own stash hanging for 2 months. A closed jar which reaches 55% isn't much different from a room that is always ~55%.

I'm not saying it's the same, or to hang stuff for 2 months. Weed reaches a moisture equilibrium with the environment. If you hang it in 65% it's impossible to overdry. Jars, dessicants, burping, these three words make a good recipe for Hay smelling schwag. Just my opinion of course. I have ruined buds by jarring them wet. Never a problem with a proper hang dry, always happy (if the plant is good).

Also wouldn't worry about anything converting to cbn, cbd etc... that's more theorycrafting. You're not gonna notice a % difference the same way the lab equipment does. Yeah the 1.5 year old weed is not the same as it was 4 wks after harvest, but it's still good to smoke, the essence of the terp profile is still there, and it still gets you high. :good:

Final thought... most of the people who go online to write with absolute certainty that you shouldn't dry buds under lights, and preach doom & gloom about it, have never themselves dried buds under their lights. I mean I wouldn't recommend it either but I'll be damned if that wasn't some grade A bud.

Truth
For a short while I ran a larger grow in a basement and we just hung plants til we sold the bud. RH was probably around 50-60%. Jars were for carrying and longer term storage. I've found small jars of bud from those days 2+ years later and it still smoked fairly well! A little harsh but it wasn't crumbly dry. Mostly the colors just faded and turned to a brown/amber. Purples stayed pretty well throughout that time, too.

Anyway, so long as the initial dry was done right you should be able to keep weed for a long time. Silica packs, boveda packs, all that stuff feels like extra money to spend on what ultimately will only give you a minor quality improvement at best.

I think a lot of the concerns about overdrying come from people who live in areas where that is an actual concern, like Colorado. Those people *need* humidifiers in their drying room to keep it up above the ambient 35%. In Canada, you'll probably not see anything under 45% ever. In a closet, probably never below 50%.

PCBuds

Anyway, so long as the initial dry was done right you should be able to keep weed for a long time. Silica packs, boveda packs, all that stuff feels like extra money to spend on what ultimately will only give you a minor quality improvement at best.

I think a lot of the concerns about overdrying come from people who live in areas where that is an actual concern, like Colorado. Those people *need* humidifiers in their drying room to keep it up above the ambient 35%. In Canada, you'll probably not see anything under 45% ever. In a closet, probably never below 50%.

I've already got the silica and Bodeva packs.
I use the desiccant packs first to bring the RH down to around 62% then swap in the Bodeva packs.
That extends the life of the Bodeva packs. I've reused them 3-4 times now and store them in a jar in the freezer. I like how you know when they are used up. They harden up and turn crispy.

My biggest concern is mold and in the summer the RH in my house can be 80% so the buds do need to be jarred and dried out.

I put the desiccant in the microwave to dry it out first so it's "thirsty" and dries the buds out quickly.

q3corn

Oh wow I didn't realize your area got so humid! Yeah definitely some chemical means of reducing moisture is needed at that point.

PCBuds

Oh wow I didn't realize your area got so humid! Yeah, definitely some chemical means of reducing moisture is needed at that point.

Yeah, we just went through a month-long heat spell with temperatures over 30°C and the humidex over 40°C.

Things should settle down within a month or so, then I can dry by hanging my plants.

I'm going to be rinsing my plants after harvest and bought a pedestal fan to help dry things out.

I still like jarring my buds.
I figure it should help contain the terpenes.

I think of my ground coffee and the way it gets stale with the lid left off.

There's nothing like removing the lid from either my buds or my coffee and taking a big whiff. Mmmmm. Lol

q3corn

You'll maintain the flavor and aroma of your coffee beans longer by leaving them whole vs grinding them! My two cents on that

PCBuds

My closet might be done?

There are still some lower branches that don't look ready.
I might do a partial harvest soon.

PCBuds

Haha, that's the problem with checking trichomes. Here they are amber, there they are white, elsewhere they are clear... People want to look at trichomes. Having done that I say dont bother. Do you need a microscope to determine when other plants are ripe?

https://youtu.be/XBEABq1b1SA?t=1515

listen from 25:25 until 28:30

So do you think that there is any point at all in looking at the trichomes?

I wonder what "Frenchy" would think about my plant?

I've still got a lot of white hairs, but they don't show up in the pictures.
I don't mind waiting.

SuperBadGrower

Looks like another week+ to me .
Plants with airy buds, you'll regret it if you dont let all the calyxes fill out before harvesting.

airy-buds.jpg
(early harvest of similar looking plant)

SuperBadGrower

Ye, the red dashes are branches. Some other buds are more like dense chunks of calyxes. This plant has a little "airy" bud structure I think.
When you do an early harvest on a plant with airy structure, all you'll have in the end is stems with undeveloped calyxes and tiny leaves on it. An early harvest on a plant with great structure will still give you nice little nug chunks. I see this structure a lot on autoflowers.

Yes, thats right :) If you let it go as long as possible, those little bud branches will fill in with as many mature calyxes as possible.

IMO when it comes to plants with this structure it is extra important to not harvest when many calyxes are not mature

PCBuds

Okay...

I'll go another month if that's better.

I just have to get a jist of what mature looks like.

I'll keep posting pictures.

PCBuds

I took some more trich pictures.

This time I cut a couple of calyx's off so I could get a better picture. (instead of trying to get a picture right off the plant.)

I took the calyx's from the middle of the plant to try to get a better average.
They had some orange hairs.

I'm pretty sure I see mostly clear trichs.

So the plant itself doesn't look finished with no fall colored leaves and the clear trichs are in agreement with that.

I still find it hard to judge the trich color.
I don't know if the ones that appear white are just reflecting light and the ones that appear cloudy are just out of focus?

Latest posts

Latest posts