What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

OMG!

I could barely make out a word he was saying.
And couldn't stop laughing. Lol

I will try again tomorrow when I'm sober.

indagroove

Veteran
Yes, I'm switching to autos.

I may have to top the plant though if everything works out good, but instead of throwing out the top, I want to try to root it.

IIRC, autos don't take well to being topped but I'm not going to risk the plant hitting my LED strips and burning them out.

Admittedly I haven't grown a lot of autos, but they are quite different that regular cannabis plants. My opinion is that autos do have their place in cannabis cultivation, but it isn't indoor growing, it's off-season outdoor growing. The problem with autos (aside from the ruderalis genetics) is that you can't really control them well like you can photoperiod plants. Typically autos need lower intensity lighting and longer days. I dunno man, I would really suggest steering away from autos. Can you get clones anywhere near where you're at? It's a very worthwhile investment to get a known quality cut that you can grow over and over with consistency.

PCBuds

Admittedly I haven't grown a lot of autos, but they are quite different that regular cannabis plants. My opinion is that autos do have their place in cannabis cultivation, but it isn't indoor growing, it's off-season outdoor growing. The problem with autos (aside from the ruderalis genetics) is that you can't really control them well like you can photoperiod plants. Typically autos need lower intensity lighting and longer days. I dunno man, I would really suggest steering away from autos. Can you get clones anywhere near where you're at? It's a very worthwhile investment to get a known quality cut that you can grow over and over with consistency.

I'm pretty sure that I'm sticking with autos.

I can grow them on my window sill and I don't have to light seal my closet.

I don't know where I'd put a tent and I would need that, and blowers, etc. etc, ...

I'm only aiming for good enough and my closet plant is looking pretty good to me.
(the window plant too, but she's just tiny. Lol)

PCBuds

Now, I've just got to get a feel for what a ripe plant looks like.

I remember a White Widow auto that looked like it was well into autumn, with all the fan leaves dried up and turning color.

I'm want to take them well into ripe but I'm worried about getting CBN?
Is that a real thing?

I guess I'm asking is if there is such a thing as going too long?

PCBuds

Another reason I want auto flower...

The power shut off for four hours in the middle of the night here, a couple of weeks ago.

That's enough to herm a photoperiod.

indagroove

Veteran
I'm pretty sure that I'm sticking with autos.

I can grow them on my window sill and I don't have to light seal my closet.

I don't know where I'd put a tent and I would need that, and blowers, etc. etc, ...

I'm only aiming for good enough and my closet plant is looking pretty good to me.
(the window plant too, but she's just tiny. Lol)

Yep, light leaks and window grows are a good reason to grow autos. But, is it really that big of a deal to seal your closet from light leaks?

Another reason I want auto flower...

The power shut off for four hours in the middle of the night here, a couple of weeks ago.

That's enough to herm a photoperiod.

Naw, that wouldn't hurt anything at all. What causes lighting-cycle related herms is when you interrupt the regular dark cycle with light. Plants don't really care that much about the light on cycle, they just care about uninterrupted darkness.

indagroove

Veteran
Now, I've just got to get a feel for what a ripe plant looks like.

I remember a White Widow auto that looked like it was well into autumn, with all the fan leaves dried up and turning color.

I'm want to take them well into ripe but I'm worried about getting CBN?
Is that a real thing?

I guess I'm asking is if there is such a thing as going too long?

Yep, you can totally go too long, the same as you can with any fruit.

PCBuds

My closet plant went from this...

To this...

Candy Cane Feminized Autoflower...

I'm expecting a bigger plant next time.

(the light strips are 11" long for scale.)

indagroove

Veteran
So what do I look for?

Do I squeeze it like the Charmin? Lol

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/fRycS6KW/Screenshot-2020-07-30-16-54-11.png]View Image[/url]

Haha, yeah sometimes you do give it a lil squeeze. Ultimately what I look ahead for is the beginning of senescence, and trying to chop just before that. It really varies from strain to strain, which again is why I prefer to work with known strains, because you get to know what to expect from each stage. That said, I usually look for most of the pistols to recede and calyxes to swell, and resin to frost up. I do look at trichs, but not with a scope; I look to see if they are still getting more and more erect, or starting to flop over telling me they've gone too long.

PCBuds

...I look to see if they are still getting more and more erect, or starting to flop over telling me they've gone too long.

Ok, I like that.
That I can see...

Do you think that I could throw a little blue pill in with my nute solution to make them stand up again? Lol

It's just hormones and such. Lol

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Yeah the software has a glossary of common terms. Senescence is one of them it will put it in italics and you can hover over for a definition

PCBuds

Yeah the software has a glossary of common terms. Senescence is one of them it will put it in italics and you can hover over for a definition

OK, I'll make sure I don't hover too long or I'll get all mixed up again. Lol

I just need to harvest my "flower", before it rots. Lol

SuperBadGrower

Haha :biggrin: sounds like a new bud booster is in town
Of course all or many roads lead to rome :)
There may certainly be validity to the idea of harvesting at "peak potency", using the trichomes as an indicator. That said I do exactly what indagroove described pretty much (surprise! lol) & think it's pretty fool proof

the harvest window of weed can be big. I have some plants, I could cut them 3 weeks earlier and end up with top shelf product... that is really cool

I also had plants that if you cut them at 10 weeks instead of 12 you just totally wasted 10+ weeks of time. Big difference

Strange.... but the good news is that when they are left to finish properly you always gets a good result, unless the plant is just crap. With autoflowers you can't really get to know a plant intimately because you can't clone it and keep it alive. There is high variation in normal seeds, higher in autoflower seeds.

I too think you have a better chance of controlling a photoperiodic genetic that doesn't stretch much. agree with indagroove... I have grown autos too, waste of time for me really, photos are that much better. But I smoke tons. I can dig that others are satisfied with it. Yeah there are some autos that produce dank but it's a bit more rare. Every seed is a gamble anyway with these damn plants. If you only grow one, let it be a good one. With autoflowers there is arguably a little more shit in the mix and that increases the chance of having a bad plant. Not just bud quality but also runts/ones that dont autoflower/etc etc (common topics on autoflowernetwork forums)

Oh well, everbody likes somethinig different. One friend still ask if I have something like that one autoflower... I'll never have something like it because it was the 2nd worst weed I ever grew!
As long as you're having fun and satisfied with the results its all good

Latest posts

Latest posts