What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

SuperBadGrower

Those charts, which are all different, create more problems than they solve. It's bogus as far as I'm concerned. 5.7 PH, allowed to drift up to 6 or 6.2, and just feed that water without thinking. You never see deficiencies if you do it right.

PCBuds

Those charts, which are all different, create more problems than they solve. It's bogus as far as I'm concerned. 5.7 PH, allowed to drift up to 6 or 6.2, and just feed that water without thinking. You never see deficiencies if you do it right.

OK, thanks...

I don't want to overthink everything.

I'll aim for 5.7 PH.

SuperBadGrower

:) that's the beauty of this approach. You can spend time worrying about other things than nutrients. I do a full DTW cycle without ever measuring the runoff ... One reservoir per week. The only time a leaf is not 100% deep green is due to environmental issues, like wind from fans or drought. Granted, I got there by autistically measuring runoff while learning how to use the coco..heh. I'm not saying not to do it. But after a while it will click and you'll get the hang of it.
If you only measure runoff once, do it when you "set" your fresh coco;.
For example it may be 0.2 EC max if it's good coco from the bag or brick.. then if you do the first feed with 1.6 EC or whatever, it takes quite a lot of water to get the medium to an actual value of 1.6. If you just water until you see a bit of runoff, that will be very low EC and the medium is not set properly.

PCBuds

My friend stopped by to get a peanut...

It's kinda got a "Give Me A Damn Peanut, Or Else" look in his face though.

Apparently, a bird can peck you're eyes out. !!? LOL.

SuperBadGrower

Some recent studies suggest that a steady ph is more important than shooting for a specific ph and always correcting up or down to hit that specific target.

Here's a good read on a more modern approach to ph with cannabis:
https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/new-research-results-optimal-ph-for-cannabis/

great stuff 100% agree :good:

Only thing to keep in mind is some things fall out of solution or don't perform well at certain PH. DTPA, the most used iron chelate, is usable up to 6.5. (I see it is mentioned in the article you linked)

so consistency is key... if you PH down, do it always, if you don't PH down, do it never. If you keep water in a res you probably have to PH down to combat drift into undesirable ranges, if you make new water every time you water plants, do whatever you feel. Just give the plants the same shit every time & theyll sort out the rest.
(Not to you, just throwing it out there for PCBuds)
:smoker:

Hookahhead

Some recent studies suggest that a steady ph is more important than shooting for a specific ph and always correcting up or down to hit that specific target.

Here's a good read on a more modern approach to ph with cannabis:
https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/new-research-results-optimal-ph-for-cannabis/

Thanks for dropping that, good thing I occasionally check in here.

PCBuds it looks like you might finally get some decent buds! You win the award for putting in the most effort for the least return, but at least you’re having fun doing it.

PCBuds

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Without all the help I'm sure I would have given up years ago.
:tiphat:

I've done a lot of things wrong, but sometimes it works anyway. Lol

PCBuds

Looking good, bud! :joint:

Thanks.

I'm not going to get 150 grams like before but this plant is looking pretty good!

It will definitely carry me through a few more bad grows. Lol

It's sticky but not stinky.
I can barely smell it.