What's new

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

Thanks,...

I like to make stuff up. Lol

I don't really care about that plant.
I just want to see what happens.

It seems to be working so far...

I'm with you on this! I currently have 5 little ladies and I'm experimenting with training techniques (quite a newie over here haha).

You might need to have a certain number of posts before you can "like" a post or edit your post ??
(it used to be 50 posts...)

This makes sense, I actually can't edit the previous post to include my response to this quote and not overload your post with useless answers...

Soooo to make it a little less useless (?), how do you achieve that particular structure in your plants? I mean, you don't top your plants but they don't have that prominent conic shape, so common in non-topped plants. Also, how did you came with the idea that led you to this result?

PCBuds

This makes sense, I actually can't edit the previous post to include my response to this quote and not overload your post with useless answers...

I'm pretty sure that you need to get to 50 posts before you can edit, but I'm not positive about if and when you can start "liking" posts.

Don't worry about overloading my thread.
It's a scattered mess anyway. Lol

Soooo to make it a little less useless (?), how do you achieve that particular structure in your plants? I mean, you don't top your plants but they don't have that prominent conic shape, so common in non-topped plants. Also, how did you came with the idea that led you to this result?

I'm not really sure why my plants are shaped the way that they are.

I think it's because they are surrounded by light.
The lower and middle branches have lots of light, so they can fatten up and they don't need to reach up to get to the light.

I actually did top the last plant that was in the closet because it was getting ready to touch the ceiling lights.
I was trying to super crop it and broke the top off. Lol
That plant was started on my window sill and grew up tall and skinny, then got moved to the closet to finish, but didn't have much of a yeild in the end. (it's still drying, so I don't know what the yeild is yet.)

My growing started with a Coleman cooler with Miracle Grow soil and a 4 foot fluorescent fixture that I could only fit into my closet by jamming it in vertically against the back wall.
So that was also the start of my side lighting technique by accident.

It seemed to work quite well with the entire plant lit up.

Then I added overhead SILs (LED bulbs), then ditched the fluorescent fixture and tried to add SILS to the walls, but they stuck out too far and took up too much space.

Then I switched to the LED strips.
They have a very low profile, low heat, and the light is spread out better.

My cooler got upgraded to a medium sized garbage can and it's a SIP container design that I just kinda came up with.
It was ReikoX that told me it was a SIP container.
I had no idea what I had made. Lol

The SIP is great because I just have to make sure that there is always water at the bottom and the plant waters itself.

I had HUGE problems with over/under watering and just couldn't get a handle on it.

That problem was solved by switching to 50/50 coco coir and perlite.
Now I just water it and leave it be.
You can't overwater with coco coir.

I use chemical powdered nutes which helps me to have better control of what the plant is being fed and it's easier to feed it properly.

I'm trying to grow in the most natural way I can and believe the plant will take care of itself if you give it everything it needs, with lighting being the biggest factor.

You can have everything dialed in perfectly, but your final yeild is always determined by the total number of light Watts.

I'm getting pretty close to 1 gram per Watt but some guys are pushing close to 2 grams per Watt with the newer, more efficient LED bulbs.

I don't think training a plant is necessary if you surround the plant with light, and I completely suck at at it too.
All I do is break stuff. Lol, so I don't want to mess with my plant at all if I don't have to.

I also only grow feminized Autoflower seeds, because I don't want to bother with boys and pollen, and I don't have to have a light proof enclosure.
It makes things really simple and easy.

I start one seed at a time that goes in my closet and ends up yielding 400+ grams from a single plant.

I'm also a big fan of soil mites.
I had them for years, and I think they came in a bag of sheep manure compost that I had purchased.

I'm convinced that they work because I'm sure that I would have had fungus gnats otherwise in the 5-6 years that I have been growing.

I did get fungus gnats recently on the window sill, but I didn't have any soil mites in the new media that I had mixed up.

PCBuds

My seed seemed to stall and not change for about a day.
It still looks happy and healthy but just seemed to stop growing, so I decided to plant it and see what happens.

20210430_052512.jpg

20210430_053325.jpg
20210430_053527.jpg
20210430_053444.jpg

PCBuds

There's not much action going on with my seedling either.

But it is quite cool in the house (68°F) and I think it was ReikoX that mentioned that plants (especially Autoflowers) like to grow their roots until they hit bottom before they start to grow up top.

I think she's got plenty of light and leaf structure to feed the root growth and she's got a purple stem.
I like that. Lol

She could be struggling with trying to grow her roots through the drill hole. Lol,... But she does look quite happy and healthy...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210430_153211.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	17846188

PCBuds

I decided to transplant a few soil mites from the closet planter to the window planter just to make sure that some are in the window plant.

I could see them crawling around in the closet planter, but couldn't see any in the window plant.

It was pretty difficult.
They're really tiny.
They're about 1/2 a mm long.
(that's a wooden Shish Kabob skewer for scale.)

20210430_170958.jpg

20210430_172432.jpg

I put them right on the cut stalk, and they ran down the stalk between the bark and the pith.

They are supposed to eat springtails, but the springtails are about twice their size.
That would be quite a meal. Lol

PCBuds

I trimmed and bagged my latest plant...

20210501_084133.jpg
20210501_084219.jpg
20210501_085046.jpg

I ended up with a total of 56 grams...
Not that great at all.

I did have a lot of problems with that plant with the biggest issue being the PH being up to 7.5

The PH was way off for quite a while until my new PH meter arrived and I could check the PH with it.

It is some pretty good weed though.
Lots of trichs and terpines, and it smells great !!

Swanson

I could see your plant in plant thing working out. I predict it will form a big knot there where squeezed in the other plant. Cool random idea as always.

Also is that a custom Marley and me trimming tray? :good:

PCBuds

I could see your plant in plant thing working out. I predict it will form a big knot there where squeezed in the other plant. Cool random idea as always.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...
Eventually the root is going to fatten up, fill the hole in the pith and and start to bind.

I wonder if the pith will give way and the root blows it up, or if I get a new plant with a main stalk that's an 8th of an inch in diameter. Lol

I have no idea ???

I bought the two trays for 2 bucks each at a garage sale about 6 years ago...

I don't have a kitchen table, so I eat off them every day.

I've had to repair them many times.
The fabric let go from the bottom and I had little Styrofoam balls all over the house.
Crazy glue fixed that.

I had the wooden handles almost break off, nearly dumping my lunch on the floor.
5 sticks of hot glue stabilized it after that.

And who the hell is Marley and me ??

The only Marley that I know of is Bob ... lol

PCBuds

I looked in to that...

I believe that my tray has nothing to do with the movie, however, it is the same type of dog...
And I don't think that there was a cat in the movie ?? Lol...

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

PCBuds

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210501_141341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	17846932
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210501_141411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	17846933

The trays only cost my 2 bucks a piece, but they have 5 bucks worth of hot glue, Krazy glue, and silicone on them...

I think I'm still getting pretty good economy. Lol

PCBuds

The new seeds I sent are a collaborative effort with my buddy Mr.Sparkle over at overgrow.com. They are Poisoned Rose x Cookie Devil. The Poisoned rose is a cross I made of Red Poison (Sweet Seeds) x Sugar Black Rose (Delicious Seeds). The Cookie Devil is a cross Mr.Sparkle made of Girl Scout Cookies (Fastbuds) x Dark Devil (Sweet Seeds) F2.

I'm starting a seed from the vial I found in my backyard...

They worked for me before.
I wanna get 454 grams from this plant. (One pound)

PCBuds

They're ready...

20210503_075020.jpg

I'm going to put the newer seed in the closet, and the other seed in a planter to grow outside.