What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

indagroove

Veteran
Yeah, you're right.

I'll see if this seed survives then start over with another seed.

24 hours in water, then straight into the grow media.

That's how I sprout seeds myself, and have good results. You might also consider adding a H2O2 dilution to your water as well to help avoid any fungal issues. It could certainly be a pythium issue you're fighting, or some other fungus in your environment.

PCBuds

PC hombre!
I love how you're always reflecting, planning out and thinking through problems.
Although I'm, please forgive me, not 100% sold on your snorkel tube tub, I respect very much how you engage in finding solutions to problems thrown in your path.
Holes around seeds to help with aeration! So simple yet something I've never even thought about.
Keep it coming Sir!

CC

Thanks, Chevy!! :thank you:

I kinda just make stuff up as I go.
Considering all the mistakes I've made, I have managed to grow some half-decent plants, and I've got more weed than I can smoke right now.

The snorkel tube tub may be the next thing that I let go of.
I was planning on ditching it but then I managed to get it working again after a drain and flush.
I'll see how this plant goes then decide.

I kinda like doing things the wrong way just to see what will happen.
There are things to learned from failures. Lol

I am sticking with my side lighting though.
I really think that it's working well.
I've got four times as much light on the walls than from above.

PCBuds

That's how I sprout seeds myself, and have good results. You might also consider adding a H2O2 dilution to your water as well to help avoid any fungal issues. It could certainly be a pythium issue you're fighting, or some other fungus in your environment.

That sounds like a good idea.
My environment is far from sterile. Lol

What kind of dilution would I use?

Are you talking all water I give to the plants, or just for germination ?

PCBuds

I want to thank everyone for your input and advice.

I can be as thick as a brick sometimes and change can be difficult for me. Lol

So keep it all coming, it's all appreciated.

indagroove

Veteran
That sounds like a good idea.
My environment is far from sterile. Lol

What kind of dilution would I use?

Are you talking all water I give to the plants, or just for germination ?

I'm a H2O2 addict. I buy the 35% stuff by the gallon, and use around 2 ml/gallon with all waterings. So, if you use the regular store bought stuff, use 10x that, or 20 mi/gallon.

PCBuds

I'm a H2O2 addict. I buy the 35% stuff by the gallon, and use around 2 ml/gallon with all waterings. So, if you use the regular store bought stuff, use 10x that, or 20 mi/gallon.

OK.
Thank you. :thank you:

I make my nute solution by the half-gallon, so I figure two teaspoons.

PCBuds

I'm a H2O2 addict...

I brush my teeth with it.

It dissolves tartar.

You're supposed to mix it 8:1 but I go extra strength.

I asked my dentist about it and he said it shouldn't hurt my teeth but it could hurt my gums.

My gums are fine. Lol

I've got 35 lbs of baking soda from the farm store too.

You can brush your teeth with it as well, but it tastes like crap. Lol

I prefer the peroxide.

PCBuds

The leaves on my window plant look a little pale, so I lowered the plant.

picture.php

It's now at 9" from the center bulb.

picture.php

That Saltwater OG seed that cracked then stopped growing has not popped above the surface.
It's probably dead.

picture.php

There is no action in the closet either, but it may just have not have surfaced yet?

PCBuds

She's following the sun during the day and stands straight up at night.
I turn her ever day to give her neck a workout.

It's like Yoga LST. Lol

picture.php

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
It's fine, you won't really notice stretching until it starts gaining some more height. If there's more than an inch of space between nodes then it's getting a little stretchy but for now I'd say leave it and see....

PCBuds

Well, I'm not having much luck with my Saltwater OG seeds.

The first one cracked then just stalled and died.
The second one, that was planted directly into the media and didn't pop through the surface after 5 days, so I dug it up to find that it didn't crack.

I decided to transplant it into the yogurt container just in case it decides to eventually crack and grow.

I decided to try to germinate my 3rd and final seed using my original shot glass method.

This time I used bottled water and added a half dose of H2O2 and PHed the water as well.

She has cracked and I am going to wait for a tail to grow before I plant it.

Thanks, indagrove for your advice on the peroxide.
The first seed was doing great until it stalled and died.
It was most likely a pathogen like you mentioned and this seed should do much better.

I had never had a seed that cracked, started to grow, and then died before, so it was most likely a pathogen that killed it, not my shot glass technique. Although the shot glass may allow for easier contamination?

PCBuds

My CandyCane is doing well.

So when should I start with nuted water?

I figure 1/4 strength solution once the second set of leaves are the same size as the first set.