What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

My Saltwater OG seed cracked almost two days ago but I haven't seen much action since then.

She still looks OK though.
It probably just needs more time.

PCBuds

It's not normal for a seed to open so fast and then not grow. It also looks discolored. I hope I'm wrong but it might have drowned.

Awwww...

Either way, I'll give it a week and see what happens.

It went from this...

To this, in about 45 hours.

It does look like it is turning brown.

I'm going to flush it with fresh water.

SuperBadGrower

Why are your seeds always in a puddle of water in addition to wet paper?
edit: Or are looks deceiving? Is it just the paper?

Last edited:

SuperBadGrower

This is kinda why I tried to get you to plant the other seed instead of watching it open. Whats the joy in watching a little white thing in water? The only joy is to grow vigorous plants. This woulda been the most vigorous plant you had to date. It might still make it if you get it out of anaerobic conditions. I dont want to be a doom preacher but man that thing was ready to kick ass, it shouldn't be in this kind of state. I was excited to see it explode

I don't to be a smart ass but I think you're whole environment from shotglass with paper towel or cotton wool and soil is too wet!
I put my seeds in water for 24h then between moist paper towels but no real water or drops of it anywhere.
Not sure if that's it, you are certainly not doing this for the first time...
CC

It's not really about seeing them open in the water though, that is just to get them wet. After a few hours of soak they sink to the bottom with a little tap. That's when most people take them out of the water. I'm pretty sure oxygen is required for germination.

^ True. Seeds need air just as much as they need water. That's why I use paper towels to germ my seeds, so they don't drown.

Take a paper towel, soak it in water, wring it out gently, and then carefully place a seed inside the fold. in 2 days it should crack.

PCBuds

Yeah, you're right.

I'll see if this seed survives then start over with another seed.

24 hours in water, then straight into the grow media.

Hopefully, my next seed will be just as vigorous.

PCBuds

Why are your seeds always in a puddle of water in addition to wet paper?
edit: Or are looks deceiving? Is it just the paper?

Actually, that's an air bubble with a bit of water against the glass, but I won't do the shot glass again.

Fortunately, it doesn't bother me too much that I probably killed the seed.
As long as I don't kill all three of them.

PCBuds

I figured I should just plant the seed to give it the best chance of survival.

I'm just going to start another seed in a cup of water.

Should I use distilled, bottled, or tap water?

SuperBadGrower

Tap is fine if you can drink it. Remember it's just about getting them wet enough to start the processes. once the water goes inside , it's go time, nothing is going to stop it from trying to germinate. After the water gets inside it can still take 1-3 days for it to open. (Fresh seed)

But like I wrote also it's really another pointless step. All the rituals we think we need to do doesn't serve the plant at all. To start its life in water for 24 hrs, that's hardly natural. It's a flood or a monsoon! All the noobs, myself included at the time, are better off putting the seed into the medium. It's as easy as filling a cup with soil, watering it, and pressing the seed into the surface.

Some of the hardest things to grasp when it comes to growing is "wet not too wet", "moist not too moist", "dry not too dry" etc.

Last edited:

PCBuds

But like I wrote also it's really another pointless step. All the rituals we think we need to do doesn't serve the plant at all. To start its life in water for 24 hrs, that's hardly natural. It's a flood or a monsoon! All the noobs, myself included at the time, are better off putting the seed into the medium. It's as easy as filling a cup with soil, watering it, and pressing the seed into the surface.

OK, I'm agreeing with that.
I decided to go for it.

Some of the hardest things to grasp when it comes to growing is "wet not too wet", "moist not too moist", "dry not too dry" etc.

With that in mind, I thought the dirt looked a little too wet, so I stirred in a couple of teaspoons of dry seedling mix., then pressed it down a bit with the back of a spoon.

It was nice and spongy and sprang back when I pressed on it.

I missed the part about just pressing the seed into the dirt so I made a pencil hole and dropped the seed in about 1/4" deep and lightly packed it in.

The seed in the hole before I packed it in.

Now, the hardest part for me is going to be trying to just LITFA!!

I have this nasty habit, almost a compulsion, to dig up my seed and check on it within a day.

I figure if I post that, it may help me to do nothing but wait for one entire week, before digging it up for an autopsy. Lol

SuperBadGrower

I still do that :biggrin:
If you must, you can scrape off the coco that covers the seed carefully using a toothpick. Do it millimeter by millimeter you won't mess anything up.
But yeah, just not doing it is better lol. If its even 75% like its sibling it will be above the ground very quickly.
That depth looks perfect.

PCBuds

I still do that :biggrin:
If you must,...

No!!

I mustn't!!

I must wait for one whole fricken week!!

I'm not going to be able to save her if she is in trouble and I will introduce trouble by digging her up. Lol

The window plant is looking good...

The leaves are starting to fall...
That means cooler temperatures and lower humidity.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
As long as you didn't plant them super deep they should be able to come up. Also if it's too weak to push a little soil up then it was probably a weak plant anyways...

PCBuds

OK, I messed with it a bit.
I put 4 holes around the seed to help it breathe.

I think it might be too wet.

I siphoned off the bottom of the cooler. (about 1/2" of water.)

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PC hombre!
I love how you're always reflecting, planning out and thinking through problems.
Although I'm, please forgive me, not 100% sold on your snorkel tube tub, I respect very much how you engage in finding solutions to problems thrown in your path.
Holes around seeds to help with aeration! So simple yet something I've never even thought about.
Keep it coming Sir!

CC