What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

I dunno, but she still looks like she's striving for more...

I may be asking for something too quickly, but she can follow the Sun pretty fast.

I'm sure she could droop her leaves just as fast if she was overwhelmed with light.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Maybe there's an app?

Do cell phones have sniffing devices yet? Lol

Wouldn't it be cool if they made a cell phone with a built-in multimeter with probes.

And a PH probe that plugs in.
And RH meter, thermometer, oscilloscope, Geiger counter, ... Every electronic meter all built in.
It's called a Tricorder, as used in Star Trek. ;)

PCBuds

My third seed appears to have croaked as well.

This sucks.

It looks like it's got mold growing on it.

I don't know what to think. It shows that my environment isn't sterile but my shot glass method has always worked before.
It's just these three seeds that wouldn't germinate, so I think I'm going to blame the seeds?

I decided to try to start one of ReikoX's seeds to see what happens.
If it turns moldy too, then I'm going to have to reassess everything.

My environment hasn't changed but all my past seeds would germinate easily with no problems.

I'm using bottled water with H2O2 at 5 ml/ liter and PHed to 6.4.

SuperBadGrower

:frown: what a bummer
not sure about "sterility". how can a glass and a piece of paper become dirty enough to kill a seed, when they germinate on the ground in nature?

What about the one you put in medium? What happened to it?

Maybe it's some kind of sickness that affects the plant from which they came. I've never seen this. Googling for 'snot' 'mold' and 'seed' etc doesn't return much. I could find only 2 threads, this being the only one that mentions slime. The first thing that comes to my mind is still "too wet for too long" but who kwnows, regardless I'd contact the vendor and see if you can't get a replacement or something. If everything else germinates it might well be the seed

PCBuds

All three seeds are now planted in the yogurt container.

It seemed like they died just after they cracked open, but the one that was planted in the media didn't crack open, so I think it's got the best chance of surviving.

The mold on the last seed was fuzzy like bud rot. I had rolled the seed around for a picture and the fuzz got smushed.

I'm going to see what happens with ReikoX's seed and if it germinates.
I'll be able to compare to it.

I may get in touch with the vendor if ReikoX's germinates normally.

This is ReikoX's seed, after 2 hours of being submerged.
I intend to dump the water off after about 18 hours.

PCBuds

Here's a closeup of the seed.

It stopped growing two days ago, and the fuzz grew after it croaked.
I'm pretty sure that it's rotting.

PCBuds

Practice with the free seeds, I can always send more if needed. :good:

I just realized that your seeds aren't feminized, so I'm going to have to pay attention to the sex.

That will give me some practice at checking preflowers.

Maybe I can keep a boy to try to make some seeds with my CandyCane?

We'll see what happens. I don't want a house full of pollen. Lol

PCBuds

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with these seeds once they sprout.

I'm wanting to plant them in the Jiffy Pots but I don't know if they are big enough to grow a plant big enough to be able to check the pre-flowers.

Are these Jiffy Pots big enough?

It would be nice to grow out the plants till I can sex them then pick the strongest female to plant in the middle of my cooler.

Apparently, Autoflowers don't like to be transplanted and I suck at it. Lol

It would be nice to just plant the entire Jiffy Pot.

I've only grown regular plants once with three outdoor plants, and I forget how big they got before the preflowers showed.

EDIT: I just checked my thread and the outdoor plants were huge when the preflowers were showing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8621209&postcount=60

Hmmm, now I don't know what to do?
Maybe I'll transplant my window plant into the closet and grow another CandyCane in the cooler?

I know it's a girl and I do want a taller plant than my last one and she is nicely stretched.

PCBuds

The window plant has two full sets of leaves so I mixed up some nute solution. It ended up at 600 PPM with a PH of 6.0 and I watered my plant.

PCBuds

I decided to transplant my CandyCane window plant into the closet.

The lights are at 2' above the plant and I'm going to leave them there for a good while to hopefully help me get a taller plant this time.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the regular Autoflower plants I'm hoping to grow.

I'm open to suggestions.
Maybe I can get bigger Jiffy Pots? I haven't looked into it.

I can grow, or at least start a few plants on the window sill.

How long does it take for the plants to show their preflowers?