What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

St. Phatty

If they go out too early the ones with the responsive critical night length will go into flower and becomes a mess

It's almost guaranteed that the Grower will be playing Musical Cannabis plants.

The 2 plants I was ambivalent about, both Sativa's, are definitely flowering so now I bring them Indoors.

The other 2 plants I was hoping to get into 12-12, are showing no more Pistils than when I brought them indoors, to get them from 14/10 to 12/12.

There is NO WAY they will sync up with the other 12/12 plants. So now they go outdoors.

And they're HEAVY because I used heavy gravel.

It's not a Pain in the Ass - it's EXTRA EXERCISE !

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor

The 2 plants I was ambivalent about, both Sativa's, are definitely flowering so now I bring them Indoors.

The other 2 plants I was hoping to get into 12-12, are showing no more Pistils than when I brought them indoors, to get them from 14/10 to 12/12.

There is NO WAY they will sync up with the other 12/12 plants. So now they go outdoors.

🛒 :ninja:

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I’ve always felt that marijuana made excellent flexing muscles 💪

therevverend

Veteran
In my area clones can’t go out safely until the end of June depending on the strain

Wow, end of May is one thing, end of June is crazy. I have a friend in Mendocino, she did an experiment where she'd put clones out at different times. As soon as they could be put out without re-vegging, in late April, in early May, mid May, and late May. She said there was no advantage to putting clones out earlier then late May. The yield was the same. This is probably true everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. (late November down south)

Buyer beware, that's just one year. Eastern Washington was great last year, later to freeze then usual. Some years it's the first week of October.

Last year I had a few beautiful purple volunteers. Amazing stuff. Beautiful color, dense mold resistant nugs, and some of my best smoke. Dream candy. I'm not sure of the parents but there was probably an Afghan purple Kandahar Maruf landrace and/or a purple Bomb from Relentless Genetics involved. I crossed one with an 88G13HP, sprouted some seeds. Here's a look.

View media item 18709685

Last edited:

canniption

I've found the same with plants from seed. I used to start my outdoor plants around the end of March,but through the years I started them later each year to where I start them now,which is the beginning of May or so with no decrease in yield.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
New round of seedlings planted in fully fertilized flats on 4/17 have been doing well. They have been indoors all the way up until yesterday, so 10 days. They seem happier than the last batch, a little lanky, but their leaves are fattening up and have a good healthy green color. There is some visible mold hyphae on the surface of the growing media and there were a couple runt seedlings that had damping off issues it appeared, so next time will reduce the fertilizer to 50% or slightly more for germination mix.

Will have to wait until next weekend or 2 to plant, cold is hanging in there.

So its best to plant and catch the wave in May? Makes sense, when the weather kicks the plants into gear, everything catches up to where it should be.

Stunting from cool cloudy conditons and over saturated soil seems to be an issue early on, but its good to have a developed root system. We are waiting on the weather this year, and the cool conditions have made it tricky to grow seedling starts. Having to learn how to grow indoors rather than just putting them outside during the day.

Temperatures below 60F are bad for seedlings, and 70-80 F is around optimum. Sound right?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely true, I broke the top cola on a tall plant last year trying to inspect for mold. Tall plants can fall over easier when flowers get heavy and wind comes through. All the training I do growing these smaller 8 ft plants is mound up soil around the main stem. The fence around the outside helps keep them standing.

Four-Twenty weekend part 2 :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What rate do you recommend for seedling germination?

Sometimes they may be in the flat for 30 days at the most I would say. I try to move them one time straight into the garden.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will be planting possibly mid to late may looks like this year. So once night time temps get to around 50F or above, its time to plant from what I remember. Is that a good guideline?

1682691644233.png

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Usually do it that way, using just south facing window light. This year running some lights on them along with window light. Also have veggie germination flats along side.

Using 3x 3 bulb lamps and a desk light with 7 incandescent bulbs, one cfl, and 1 strong daylight LED. Its country style. :smoke:

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Also, another factor to consider is how big do I want these plants when they’re done? big is not necessarily better for me… how much work and trainings do I want to go into producing big ass plants?
And added risk of pests and for stealth reasons as well. I like small plants better. I'd rather have a lot of small plants to get a feel for the strain, than a huge tree and potentially risking to be stuck with not so great weed, if you're growing from seed.

@pipeline I never use any kind of fertilizers for seedlings, until their first transplant. Most light mix for cannabis carry around 10% of hummus which should be enough for the first 2 weeks.

As for the date of transplant, I think the latter the better. If your plants are indicas mostly, they should start flowering early august. That's a long time, depending on the height you want, 2 months of growth in the ground should be more than enough to have decent sized plants like the ones you had last year or bigger. If you transplant early and still get some cold nights, the plants will get stunted anyway and they'll be a similar size by the time they start flowering 🤷‍♂️

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What should I do with tall these month old seedlings still on their 2nd set of leaves. They were stunted by cold and overwatering I think, and they also had very little fertilizer in the media, around 10% what the 2nd round had which were fully fertilized.

Transplanted to stage 2 on 4/16 and they have barely grown.

Some of them look like they want to start growing. Are they worth planting to see how they turn out, or will they all turn out males?

full

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
What should I do with tall these month old seedlings still on their 2nd set of leaves. They were stunted by cold and overwatering I think, and they also had very little fertilizer in the media, around 10% what the 2nd round had which were fully fertilized.

Transplanted to stage 2 on 4/16 and they have barely grown.

Some of them look like they want to start growing. Are they worth planting to see how they turn out, or will they all turn out males?

full
They still have got a very long time to recover until flower. I would keep them just like that. Preferably indoors but outdoors as well if you need to. They are still very small, and they have plenty of food in those pots for their size- When they reach the size to be transplanted, most problems they accumulated will get fixed by the transplant, if the soil mix is good.

Don't worry too much about them yellowing unless it's caused by overwatering. Try to limit your watering frequency and quantity, you can lift the pots every day to get a feel for when they should be watered. At this stage you will see them asking for food when the lower leave start yellowing. If it happens it's not a big deal, just correct with the grow (A) bottle of nutes of your preffered brand.

You can also add ventilation to help the pots dry earlier if this is a problem. Keep them away from the rain also.