What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have some catching up to do here soon, when I get a minute. Great posts! :smoke:

Now I know what you guys out on the west coast feel like. Getting smoke from canadian wildfires yesterday and today. Making a dense haze fog, the sun and the moon were red. Visibility is down to 2-3 miles. Should clear out later today, and let the plants get some light. Would be tough to flower in this stuff! smoke:

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
My shopping carts at dawn. Thanks go to Spar supermarkets for the "sponsorship" 🙃 Most plants have been sexed.
IMG_20230629_100752.jpg

Females got their first batch of preventive predatory mites (neoseiulus californicus).
IMG_20230628_211520.jpg

I sprinkled some pollen on them, that I collected this spring from the cypress trees in the garden. Californicus are able to survive eating pollen in times where they can't find spidermites to feed on. This should hopefully help them build a stable population.
IMG_20230628_084652.jpg

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool, Koppert Biologcals is a sponsor of the Potcast. Glad to see you got some beneficials from them.

Plants are looking great! Shopping carts and milk crates should be free, you probably spent enough money at the store. Be sure to return those when you're done. :smoke:

Whats is your plans for all the starts? :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Severe Thunderstorm WARNING-- HAZARD...80 mph wind gusts.-- Translation plant extra plants... :smoke:

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Females got their first batch of preventive predatory mites (neoseiulus californicus).

Predatory mites are the way to go. A friend doing a big commercial grow for the state, a couple thousand plants, switched to predatory mites after broad mites destroyed his crop. He used them successfully for a couple years. He said his biggest problem was that they'd eat all their prey and starve to death. Hopefully yours will survive on the pollen when they run out of pests to consume. They might not eat it for some reason, not the type they like, too dry, or they only eat pollen they harvest themselves, but it's worth a try and seems like there's a good chance of success.

Garden is looking better every day. It's been sunny and dry, I've been watering every day. Getting the last few stragglers into the ground. The difference in size between the ones in the ground and the ones in containers has gotten more noticeable. It takes a couple weeks after transplant for the roots to get established, my plants that have their roots down are going off. The ones that I just transplanted are growing slower, some of them are wilting in the midday heat. Even with plenty of water.

The wilting thing always happens this time of year when I put large plants in the ground. I think it's because the root mass is unnaturally small, it can only suck up a small volume of water. Not enough to keep the plant's fluid levels high enough.

My Strange Brew is starting to impress. Has a wonderful sweet skunk smell. Has a very upright growth pattern.

View media item 18711416
My purple Goji OG F2 took a while to get established and get vigorous. It's surprising me now, every time I look at it, it's taller. The smell is starting to develop, getting spicy with a hint of anise.

View media item 18711417
One of my best plants last year was Super Ape. This year I chose the one that looked and smelled the most like my best one last year. The squatter bushier frosty one. She already has a wonderful grape-apricot smell.

View media item 18711418

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Predatory mites are the way to go. A friend doing a big commercial grow for the state, a couple thousand plants, switched to predatory mites after broad mites destroyed his crop. He used them successfully for a couple years. He said his biggest problem was that they'd eat all their prey and starve to death. Hopefully yours will survive on the pollen when they run out of pests to consume. They might not eat it for some reason, not the type they like, too dry, or they only eat pollen they harvest themselves, but it's worth a try and seems like there's a good chance of success.

Yes, the best predators die of hunger once the infestation has been dealt with. In my area the most aggressive predatory mites sold are persimilis. These are introduced when you already have a spidermite infestation. I have used them twice in the past and both times were very effective. One pretty interesting thing about them is because they are transparent, the more spidermites they eat, the darker colour their body looks. So you can track their effectiveness with a microscope. Main con is they work a lot better in hot and dry conditions (like spidermites).

Californicus on the other hand are a lot more tolerant with different environmental conditions and that's why they are used as a preventive. They are less aggressive than the persimilis but a lot more adaptable and chill, I guess. I decided to save some pollen because they sell pollen at the website for the californicus but I don't want to pay 5 euro for pollen lol. What I hadn't thought about is maybe they do have a taste for particular flower's pollen, that's a good point. Maybe I will write them an email to ask about that.

It's my third year using beneficials indoors and outdoors for my IPM so I'm still learning. I do find the subject very interesting and nerdy 🤓

shiva82

Garden is looking better every day. It's been sunny and dry, I've been watering every day. Getting the last few stragglers into the ground. The difference in size between the ones in the ground and the ones in containers has gotten more noticeable. It takes a couple weeks after transplant for the roots to get established, my plants that have their roots down are going off. The ones that I just transplanted are growing slower, some of them are wilting in the midday heat. Even with plenty of water.

The wilting thing always happens this time of year when I put large plants in the ground. I think it's because the root mass is unnaturally small, it can only suck up a small volume of water. Not enough to keep the plant's fluid levels high enough.

My Strange Brew is starting to impress. Has a wonderful sweet skunk smell. Has a very upright growth pattern.

View media item 18711416
My purple Goji OG F2 took a while to get established and get vigorous. It's surprising me now, every time I look at it, it's taller. The smell is starting to develop, getting spicy with a hint of anise.

View media item 18711417
One of my best plants last year was Super Ape. This year I chose the one that looked and smelled the most like my best one last year. The squatter bushier frosty one. She already has a wonderful grape-apricot smell.

View media item 18711418
beautiful looking plants . nice selection too. thanks for sharing

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of these traits are linked, plants have character, and terpene profiles often follow structural morphology/ shape. Do some detective work, get to know your plants, they will tell you their secrets...

Thanks for sharing guys! :smoke:

We only got 70 mph winds, but out west where the garden is it was closer to 40 mph. Going to have to go check on them. We are getting a long light rain so it will be worth the trouble. Just hope a limb didn't land in the middle of the garden like last year.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big plants planted late getting thirsty. Thats exactly why I urge everyone to try to get their plants in as early as possible. My dad has always emphasized getting plants in as early as you can even if conditions aren't ideal because the plants do best once they are in their home in the ground. They seem to take off after rooting in, so the earlier the better to take advantage of that cooler moist spring weather before the heat arrives. Helps them to survive especially if unable to water.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
A lot of these traits are linked, plants have character, and terpene profiles often follow structural morphology/ shape. Do some detective work, get to know your plants, they will tell you their secrets...

Thanks for sharing guys! :smoke:

We only got 70 mph winds, but out west where the garden is it was closer to 40 mph. Going to have to go check on them. We are getting a long light rain so it will be worth the trouble. Just hope a limb didn't land in the middle of the garden like last year.
We're having intermittent rainstorms here as well. Much needed water for the fields.
IMG_20230629_225953.jpg

So much lightning I tried to catch one on camera but that's the best I could do lol.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got some high winds with a thunderstorm front today, but it wasn't quite as bad at the garden as it was in other areas of the county. We had about 40 mph wind at the garden instead of 70 mph with the storm front.

The plants were mostly standing up, only a few were leaning. No tree limb damage thankfully, although one fell near the garden while I was there. Stood the plants up by gently pulling up and to the side and then lightly settling in the soil around them. A few needed a piece of soil to keep them standing.

Found 3 male Early Skunk x Lebanese, so those got culled which gives the selected female Early Skunk x Lebanese that much more room early on in the season! So those should yield well and have good quality flower!

Also have good news the Champion Sativa Candy Chunk looks like a male! That is what I've been doing when selecting males in the past, I like to choose more vigorous branchy males to improve the line.

Picture from Monday, Plants have growin in the past few days and most are at waist height in the good light part of the garden!

full

Champion Sativa Candy Chunk male
full

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don’t know about any of you other growers,But it’s been nothing but overcast really crappy outside to be honest with you it’s a miracle anything is vegging at all but they seem to be vegging I hate when it’s like this I want to sunshine for goodness sake!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We had smokey haze for 3 days, I understand what you guys are going though with these wildfires. They don't need all that much sun to survive, but the sunshine is what gives them the power to really move!

Its always a tradeoff moisture for sunshine, but even on somewhat overcast days, there are still some peeks of light filtering in to feed the plants.

Another reason to plant them out early. Never know how the weather will turn out. Need to give them plenty of time in veg. We are beginning preflower and stacking is in 30 days.

Plants begin flowering Late July here, so I try to be as early as possible and plant out in May or early June at the latest for big plants.

They probably have enough structure on them already for a good yield once stretch takes place. Sit back and enjoy the ride! :smoke:

Thanks Farmerlion! Its good to be in God's word. God has a way of revealing His truth to His servents. Kind of a reset to the promises God spoke to Abraham, the good life God intended.

The watering is paying off. It is very rewarding watering well early on if it needs it. The plants are partial sun so whatever advantage I can give them helps them to grow up into better light conditions and start branching quicker. Its neat to watch them fill out!

In the DC x Blueberry, Icon used DJ Short Blueberry and I'm pretty sure the male pollen source was DC, but not for sure. I think its just a straight up F1 hybrid, which is telling by the way they are growing, super hybrid vigor!

When you cross 2 homozygous lines in the F1 first generation you get lots of hybrid vigor and can find some special phenotypes. If you recross the progeny (offspring) the F2 generation is where you can find some of the outlier keepers usually according to Tom Hill. I will be using the Sativa Candy Chunk Champion male and a couple others to cross with it this year.

Love the fruity part of the Sativa Candy Chunk so actually that will probably be a very promising hybrid. God's promise fulfilled. :smoke:

Deep Chunk x Blueberry
full

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm growing Oreoz (3rd Coast) and Violeta (Ace) this year on my balcony. The trelace is still in progress. I plan on waterproofing before they get any bigger, and then add a 4" net on the top layer. View attachment 18858701 View attachment 18858702 View attachment 18858703 View attachment 18858704
I am interested in that violeta! Looks like a great hybrid! Looks a little like some of my plants.

-----"Violeta is a dominant indica hybrid that matures with intense purple and reddish colors.

It's the result of crossing 2 purple strains: the mother is the Purple Malawi, a very special expression of purple african sativa, that was pollinated by the best and more colorful Pakistan Chitral Kush indica parental plants.

Violeta will conquer you, not only for her beauty and amazing colors. Her unique balsamic/fruity aroma and balanced effect makes her a favourite choice for all kind of growers and gardens. "

lifted_fins

I am interested in that violeta! Looks like a great hybrid! Looks a little like some of my plants.

-----"Violeta is a dominant indica hybrid that matures with intense purple and reddish colors.

It's the result of crossing 2 purple strains: the mother is the Purple Malawi, a very special expression of purple african sativa, that was pollinated by the best and more colorful Pakistan Chitral Kush indica parental plants.

Violeta will conquer you, not only for her beauty and amazing colors. Her unique balsamic/fruity aroma and balanced effect makes her a favourite choice for all kind of growers and gardens. "

PXL_20230630_095902985.jpg

It's getting so tall lol. Awesome 👍

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Growing fast! Getting branchy! :smoke:

What is that Malawi Sun? I guess thats just an offshoot of the Malawi in the Violieta?

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
I crossed an Orange Bud male with a Malawi x NL Auto female from ACE... These OB seeds came from a Dutch Coffeeshop many years ago, great vigorous allround skunk genetics. I also made a purple outdoor strain with OB & Passion #1. (y)

Latest posts

Latest posts