What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got two of them going outdoors right now - they're growing in the middle of a bunch of others, but I'll see if I can pull them out to get some full plant photos today.

Curious - what did you find surprising about the pic?
You misunderstand me it’s a surprise to see someone have “Indiana bubble gum” goes so far back :) Bubble gum flavor

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it depends on the strain a good example would be the Santa Cruz blue dream just a strong today as it was all those years ago another example would be Sour diesel which just got weak and lamed out of existence…As far as I know

40degsouth

Hey everyone, l hope you’re all doing well,
I’m enjoying the show and a bit of debate. I remember someone posting up a study supporting the theory of genetic drift a year or so ago but don’t ask me where. It’s something that’s been discussed around the forum for years but from what I can gather, reading between the lines is, to take a fresh mom off an outdoor plant every year, so that’s what I do.
Anyway, we’re into the winter lag here now and I’m about to get busy amending the garden and starting the winter trials of lines I’ve been working on. I haven’t decided %100 on what I’ll be looking at because I’ve got limited space but I’ll let you know.
Here’s the crosses l made last year. BD is my Blackdog cut that’s been around for quite a few years now and l think I’ll fill the garden with her, even although I’ve been lucky enough to get some amazing bucket list genetics this past year.
6A85C7A9-9596-40DA-B22C-0DC8F079EA11.jpeg
7E58BD3A-3B2D-42A0-9DF5-B58011955AA6.jpeg
Keep up the good work everyone,
Cheers,

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats sweet! Take good notes, do your homework, keep everything labeled correctly and it will help you get success in your breeding projects! Looking forward seeing how they turn out! Those were some powerful looking plants!

Keep up the good work!:smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoking on some of the fruity refreshing Satica Candy Chunk. Can't get enough, but it has good potency though. :smoke:

Got several rounds of rain the past couple days so needed to go out to check on the plants before the next round of rain on the way. Foreceast for another 0.75-1.0 inch so we are getting a good deep watering! Glad to have the weekend off of watering.

Went out to check on the plot to make sure they were all still standing. There were a few on the edge laying down, and a few leaning a little, but the large majority were standing up well! Was glad to see that because we had a great day of sun and heat. The majority of the plants have got up to waist height. Seeing some branches forming and getting some structure going on the plants!

Will need to get out there tomorrow and make sure they are standing up again. Hopefully will find a bunch of males. I looked at the Champion Sativa Candy Chunk and it appears to be female, but it was too dark to see well. The other day it was not confirmed male.

Here's a night shot before another nice rain! :smoke: :smoke:

full

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
She has been in this position for a few hours. I'm guessing she's laying down her eggs. Or maybe she went to McDonald's and binged on nuggets last night
IMG_20230702_132059.jpg

IMG_20230702_132032.jpg

Hoping for a big litter lol to take care of the caterpillars in September.

@pipeline you should be able to sex them all by now, no?

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally I do not and cannot hold onto mothers as a permanent source of clones & just sort of end up keep cloning and cloning and cloning from the clones… after all this time and it is been a long time I still haven’t settled on one single method and tried most of them everything works well for a while and then seems to stop working but it’s just me and half assed measures

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do!!! I do!!!! No Sativa Candy Chunk isn't quite ready yet, but its probably close enough. Definitely acclimated to this climate at 40 N.

Plants have not all shown sex yet, just starting to show primordia on most of them. I was trying to look yesterday evening but it was getting dark. Expect to find some males to cull or select today. They are ready for more growing space. :smoke:

Will probably use 3-4 males if possible for Sativa Candy Chunk. 2 males has worked well every year in the past, but I would like to have a good mixture of pollen for this batch to make sure we catch all the diversity of the line. Multiple males also helps promote more stability in the line by preventing bottlenecking the genome.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
full

full

Give thanks to God the Father! A remnant of the Seed remains, God you reign!
Worship now! Happy Independence Day!

1688304937792.png

full

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cute happy little baby chicks there! Starting to grow!

Who is the breeder of the strawberry banana? Sounds like a winner. Fruit seems to be a refreshing terpene profile. I may have some that are similar. Thanks for sharing, El Mani! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smackers looks like a promising hybrid for outdoor growing! Being a cross of Guerilla Glue 4, must be pretty good flower!

The Jungle Boys cut actually came from ICMAG member Treetroit City! :smoke:

It’s actually a seed find that @Treetroit City found. He gave it to the jungle boys I believe

Yes this was a seed I popped from relentless genetics.
I sent it out to the Jungle Boys and they deemed it worthy to add to their catalog.
Yes it is a cross of GG4 and Relentless’s Rozay.
It’s not well known yet beyond JB customers as it’s only been shared with about a half dozen growers at this point.
She is strong, tasty and has great bag appeal.
Hope you enjoy her FP.
View attachment 18804450
1688309389629.png

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to check the plot and select out some males. Had another thunderstorm with a potentially 40 mph wind gusts. Lets see how the plants did. I like to not use stakes as much as possible to help strengthen the plants stems. They can stand themself up. Wind moves and flexes the stems and strengthens the cell walls through increased lignin production.

Lignin has several essential roles in the plants to help protect them and allow them to grow more efficiently. :smoke:

"

4. Role of Lignin in Plant Lodging Resistance​

Lodging resistance can prevent plant stems from bending or breaking, it is one of the most important traits that affect crop growth and grain yield [63]. Numerous studies have shown that the lodging resistance of crops is related to plant height, biomass, stem diameter and the composition and characteristics of stem cell walls [64,65,66]. Lignin accumulation in cell wall significantly enhance the mechanical strength of plant stalks. It has important implications for crop lodging resistance [15].

5. Relationship between Lignin Biosynthesis and Plant Stress Adaptation​

Plant cell wall is the first barrier against external hazards, one of the general reactions of plants under biotic and abiotic stresses is the accumulation of reactive oxygen species, accompanied by an increase in lignin accumulation [19,75,76]. Therefore, lignin metabolism has a certain relevance with plant disease resistance, insect resistance, the tolerance of drought, salt, heat, cold, heavy metals and other stresses [19].

When plants are infected with pathogens, cell wall will accumulate a large amount of lignin, in which the content of H unit is relatively higher [84,85]. Increased accumulation of lignin can provide a basic barrier against pathogen spread and reduce the infiltration of fungal enzymes and toxins into plant cell walls; Lignin-related compounds may cause fungi to lose the activity of infecting the host and prevent pathogen multiplication and movement [78,86,87]. Mandal et al. [88] found that the content of lignin in pathogenic bacteria-resistant tomato varieties was obviously higher than that of susceptible cultivars. The expression of lignin biosynthesis gene is closely related to the disease resistance in plants. Arabidopsis CAD5 was highly expressed in roots with strong lignification and induced by pathogens invading Arabidopsis thaliana [45]. Cotton dirigent-like gene (DIR) was involved in the lignin deposition, overexpression of GhDIR1 significantly promoted the degree of lignification and enhanced Verticillium dahliae resistance in transgenic plants [89]. Two HCT genes were identified in maize and regulated plant disease resistance by binding to NLR Rpl protein, which enhanced the expression of lignin biosynthesis pathway gene and lignin accumulation [90]. Overexpression of rice 4CL gene OsAAE3 decreased lignin accumulation and increased sensitivity to rice blast and this may be related to the decrease of POD activity and expression of pathogen-related 1a (PR1) [37]. In maize, a CCoAOMT gene ZmCCoAOMT2 was found to be associated with resistance to multiple pathogens, might be involved in the biosynthesis of lignin and other phenylpropanoid metabolites and regulation of programmed cell death [38].

5.2. Role of Lignin Deposition in Plant Heavy Metal Tolerance​

As the first entry barrier for metal ion, cell wall is actively involved in the absorption and transport of heavy metals and the plant response to heavy metal stress [91,92]. Heavy metals stress can stimulate phenolic secondary metabolic synthesis pathway and increase the lignin content in secondary cell wall, thereby enhance the thickness of the cell wall. As lignin polymer contains a large number of functional groups (hydroxyl, carboxyl, methoxyl, etc.), it can bind multiple heavy metal ions (Cu2+, Cd2+, Pb2+, etc.) [93,94] and reduce the entry of heavy metals into the cytoplasm [95,96].

Lignin biosynthesis is also closely related to plant heavy metals absorption, transport and tolerance. The deposition of lignin in the cell wall of the root endoderm may inhibit the transport of heavy metal elements into the xylem or outward from the vascular bundle [106,107,108,109].

5.3. Role of Lignin in Plant Drought and Salt Stress Tolerance​

Extreme drought and high salt stress usually occur simultaneously and induce osmotic stress that causes plant cells to lose water or even die, significantly affecting plant growth and development and resulting in serious losses of crop yield [111,112]. Lignin can reduce plant cell wall water penetration and transpiration, which helps to maintain cell osmotic balance and protective membrane integrity [113].

5.4. Role of Lignin in Plant Temperature Stress Adaptability​

Climate change affects the temperature of plant growth environment, high temperature induces the damage of biomacromolecules such as protein and nucleic acid, exacerbates membrane lipid peroxidation and disturbs the normal plant metabolism [121,122]. In contrast, low temperature stress also causes cell membrane damage, reduces plant photosynthesis and respiration and severely inhibits plant growth and development [123]. The content of lignin in plant tissues was significantly increased in the process of cold acclimation, the expression of C3H gene in the cold acclimated Rhododendron leaves was notably higher than that in the control leaves, C3H may affect the cell wall rigidity and water permeability by modifying S/G ratio and participate in the Rhododendron cold resistance [124]. In addition, heat and low temperature conditioning (LTC) can reduce low temperature-induced lignification in loquat fruit, analysis showed that LTC downregulated the expression of a HSF gene EjHSF3, which was involved in fruit lignification via interacted with lignin biosynthetic regulator EjAP2-1 [43].

full

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
She has been in this position for a few hours. I'm guessing she's laying down her eggs. Or maybe she went to McDonald's and binged on nuggets last night
View attachment 18860533
View attachment 18860534

Hoping for a big litter lol to take care of the caterpillars in September.

@pipeline you should be able to sex them all by now, no?
Thats a good idea and is pretty simple to make one of those homes. Budworms aren't really too big of a deal if not too many of them. They just cut the piece of flower and put frass out all over the place. But when the dew humidity and rain show up, those spots turn into mold infections in your flower. Would be worth it to put a couple of those out to hopefully reduce the budworm caterpillars. Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize that was the goal! Good idea! :smoke: